Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164707 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #4050 on: 27 June, 2011, 01:02:08 pm »
I just popped in to the EldestCub's class when I was in picking up the SmallestCub, because I needed to give a work-related message to the TA in there.  Cub's teacher said I had to go and look at the boy's written work from this morning (there is a very consistent problem with him and writing and his utter inability to get started and actually write something down that in any way shows what he is capable of).  4 blinking pages!  And 4 pages of dreadful handwriting, but decent writing.  Hooray!

And I took the last of the leftover cakes from the Rally to the bike shop, and asked on the off-chance and they said yes I could leave the bike there so that she can get the front disk rotor trued up (again) and the chain swapped.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4051 on: 27 June, 2011, 01:53:26 pm »
Two of my (female) colleagues have expressed interest in a short bike ride from Northallerton.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I think I shall take them to Roots.  And back.  We can be ladies wot lunch. :D
Myself and tiermat may well be indulging in a bit of off-road mayhem (and chips, hopefully) on Thursday if you fancy it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4052 on: 29 June, 2011, 06:00:27 pm »
A nice man from BT came and spent nearly 3 hours fixing our phone line (& therefore more importantly our internets) this afternoon. The problem didn't miraculously go away 5 mins before he arrived, and he found out pretty quickly that the line outside was broken.

(just a shame about his slightly crap cable routing suggestion, but never mind, I soon put paid to his ideas of having cable all round my skirting boards and architraving through half the flat).

I got 2 lawns mowed & strimmed while I was waiting for him, a bit of lunch in the sun, some washing dried and took a telecon from work for an hour so I get to leave early on Friday despite having to take a half day off work today.

I have decided however that I am far too honest. My mentor asked why I wasn't taking work home - I said I can hardly claim to be working from home for the afternoon when my broadband is borked and I can see neither email nor network!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4053 on: 29 June, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »
Mrs eck has felt well enough for a wee tandem ride tonight, first time in about six weeks. Ok, it was only a 10 mile round trip to the pub, but it was great to be out with her again.  :-* :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4054 on: 29 June, 2011, 10:00:14 pm »
\o/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4055 on: 29 June, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »
I think my son is becoming a 'proper' cyclist!
He informed me this evening that he had ridden 20 miles this morning and another 17 this afternoon. He said 'that's not bad because I'm not a proper cyclist like you'. I pointed out that it probably qualified him as a 'proper' cyclist in his own right  ;D

« Reply #4056 on: 29 June, 2011, 10:59:52 pm »
He informed me this evening that he had ridden 20 miles this morning and another 17 this afternoon. He said 'that's not bad because I'm not a proper cyclist like you'. I pointed out that it probably qualified him as a 'proper' cyclist in his own right  ;D

Not until his thighs are bigger than yours ...... ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4057 on: 29 June, 2011, 11:09:10 pm »

Not until his thighs are bigger than yours ...... ;)

Oh he has a way to go, mine are thunderous  ;D

« Reply #4058 on: 29 June, 2011, 11:16:58 pm »
Woolly is grinning to himself as he's been selected to deliver a cycle training session by a lady who requested a "cool, young male instructor" to train her 13 year old son.  ;D

« Reply #4059 on: 30 June, 2011, 10:18:36 am »
After three and half hours, a big vice, some  plus gas and a wrecked garage I have removed the seat post from my Pinarello without breaking the post or the frame. I have ground the post down, refitted it to the CORRECT height and rebuilt the damage to the garage. I can hardly move today. It was the best workout I've had for ages. Now, does anybody know a good chiropractor in the East Midlands?
Stropping rocks

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4060 on: 30 June, 2011, 10:51:32 pm »
What I thought was a broken filling turned out to be a nonspecific fragment of food wedged in the tooth.

« Reply #4061 on: 30 June, 2011, 11:03:52 pm »
What I thought was a broken filling turned out to be a nonspecific fragment of food wedged in the tooth.

Result  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4062 on: 30 June, 2011, 11:15:15 pm »

Indeed.  That tooth's at the next-time-it's-root-canal stage, and I've just forked out far too much for new glasses.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4063 on: 30 June, 2011, 11:19:43 pm »

Indeed.  That tooth's at the next-time-it's-root-canal stage, and I've just forked out far too much for new glasses.

ah. Tooth glasses.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4064 on: 30 June, 2011, 11:20:46 pm »

Are they Ti framed?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4065 on: 30 June, 2011, 11:28:14 pm »

Are they Ti framed?

Sadly not.  I did consider a couple of Ti frames, but the lens shapes were silly, so I opted for some with more peripheral vision and darkside insect protection.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4066 on: 30 June, 2011, 11:29:19 pm »

I'd give my eye teeth for a pair of those.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4067 on: 30 June, 2011, 11:44:03 pm »

Are they Ti framed?

Sadly not.  I did consider a couple of Ti frames, but the lens shapes were silly, so I opted for some with more peripheral vision and darkside insect protection.

Aww that's a shame.
I just ordered a coffee machine based on it being the Titanium model, sadly it is made of stainless steel and not Ti though  ;D

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #4068 on: 01 July, 2011, 01:38:13 am »
Now, does anybody know a good chiropractor in the East Midlands?
Ashbourne sports physiotherapy.01335 344952. Sorted me out more times than I care to remember.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #4069 on: 01 July, 2011, 07:11:23 am »
I just ordered a coffee machine based on it being the Titanium model, sadly it is made of stainless steel and not Ti though  ;D

That'll be a Gaggia, right?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #4070 on: 01 July, 2011, 11:55:19 am »
Just had the consultant on the phone and he doesn't think I need the broken bone in my hand pinned ;D

So, getting another x-ray late next week and then the rehab starts.

Registrar gave me a sick note for six to eight weeks off which all my friends tell me I'm an idiot to leave un-invoked. I'd rather be at work. After all, I can still write on whiteboards, drink coffee and bullshit - and they gave me a grad to do my bidding  :demon:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4071 on: 01 July, 2011, 12:10:31 pm »
My order from hasbean arrived this morning.
Australian Skybury  FTW ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4072 on: 01 July, 2011, 12:13:35 pm »
Just had the consultant on the phone and he doesn't think I need the broken bone in my hand pinned ;D

So, getting another x-ray late next week and then the rehab starts.

Registrar gave me a sick note for six to eight weeks off which all my friends tell me I'm an idiot to leave un-invoked. I'd rather be at work. After all, I can still write on whiteboards, drink coffee and bullshit - and they gave me a grad to do my bidding  :demon:

Check you are still covered by work insurance etc. if you are signed off.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4073 on: 01 July, 2011, 12:37:56 pm »
I'll ask HR about this. The sick note says I can work with amended duties so I'm assuming I can work?

« Reply #4074 on: 01 July, 2011, 06:26:59 pm »
My colleague went to get a new 5lt bottle of battery water for our truck (she drinks it a fair bit - the truck, not the colleague, he's a he... anyway...)

At the Halfords till, he was surprised to be asked for £1.79 instead of the £3.99 he expected. So he got another one while he was there.

It was only when he got outside, he realised why.  The label on the 5lt bottle was the one for a 1lt bottle... ;D
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk