Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391057 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #725 on: 19 December, 2014, 07:24:22 pm »

How much quicker do relevant rides fill up in a PBP year? I'm not dead set on doing PBP, however I would like to complete my first SR this season. I'm thinking I may as well go for BRM rides, giving me the option of PBP if I did decide I wanted to.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #726 on: 19 December, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »

How much quicker do relevant rides fill up in a PBP year? I'm not dead set on doing PBP, however I would like to complete my first SR this season. I'm thinking I may as well go for BRM rides, giving me the option of PBP if I did decide I wanted to.

I don't think this can be quantified; they do fill up more quickly and some people create headaches by pulling out of some rides once they have completed a ride of a specified length.

It's probably best, if possible, to plan and send your entries early.

Given the constraints of work and Real Life, this is not always easy.

« Reply #727 on: 19 December, 2014, 07:55:56 pm »

I don't think this can be quantified; they do fill up more quickly and some people create headaches by pulling out of some rides once they have completed a ride of a specified length.

Thanks.
Yes, I realised it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I would just like to sit down and properly plan them after Christmas, instead of rushing now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #728 on: 19 December, 2014, 08:24:37 pm »

Thanks.
Yes, I realised it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I would just like to sit down and properly plan them after Christmas, instead of rushing now.

After Christmas should be fine.
After Easter would be stretching it.

Some organisers, bless them, run a waiting list to refill places released by DNS riders who have the courtesy to inform the organiser. Some don't; they are volunteers with lives and jobs, after all.

Some riders fail to inform an organiser when they decide to pull out, inconveniencing the organiser and depriving another rider of a place.  :(

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #729 on: 19 December, 2014, 10:37:12 pm »
There are 16 PBP qualifier 600s spread over five consecutive weekends this year, which I'm sure is more than last time. I have a feeling there will be enough places to go round for those who want them, although certain rides will be more popular than others - BCM and WCW strike me as the ones most likely to fill up early.

This is all just guesswork though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #730 on: 28 December, 2014, 06:42:49 pm »
I apologise in advance if this question has already been answered in the preceding 29 pages.

About 3 months ago I completed a Calendar Event within the required time. My brevet card was checked and instantly validated on the day. However, the ride has yet to appear on my AUK member's results page. Is this something the event organiser takes care of or should I have notified someone at AUK?

Thank you in anticipation.

« Reply #731 on: 28 December, 2014, 07:17:32 pm »
I apologise in advance if this question has already been answered in the preceding 29 pages.

About 3 months ago I completed a Calendar Event within the required time. My brevet card was checked and instantly validated on the day. However, the ride has yet to appear on my AUK member's results page. Is this something the event organiser takes care of or should I have notified someone at AUK?

Thank you in anticipation.
It would be done by the organiser if he/she validated the ride on the day.  Send them a direct email and ask if they can check/resolve for you.

Cheers,

Peter.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #732 on: 28 December, 2014, 09:08:43 pm »
Many thanks Peter. I'll try and get hold of the organiser.

Cheers.

Tim

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #733 on: 28 December, 2014, 11:45:57 pm »
I wonder if this is a ride that I too have been waiting to see on the results pages. If it's the same one, then I DM'd the org via Twitter a couple weeks ago, and got the reply that they've "been too busy"  ::-)
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #734 on: 29 December, 2014, 01:11:46 am »
I wonder if this is a ride that I too have been waiting to see on the results pages. If it's the same one, then I DM'd the org via Twitter a couple weeks ago, and got the reply that they've "been too busy"  ::-)

I've taken the liberty Reg T of sending you a PM to see if we're both referring to the same ride. If we are, at least I'll know that it's not just me that's waiting.

« Reply #735 on: 29 December, 2014, 04:07:22 pm »
Those of you that have a KCNC light mounting bracket attached to your rear skewer, what rear light do you have attached to it?
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #736 on: 29 December, 2014, 04:10:38 pm »
Those of you that have a KCNC light mounting bracket attached to your rear skewer, what rear light do you have attached to it?

Red Eye by Exposure run from my Exposure Dynamo....  It's not a flasher of course... Peeps tell me they can ride on my wheel in the dark without being blinded
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #737 on: 30 December, 2014, 10:57:47 am »
... I DM'd the org via Twitter a couple weeks ago, and got the reply that they've "been too busy"  ::-)

Some organisers see the ride as 'the thing' and everything else surrounding it (and especially after the event) as taking much lower priority.  It's rather difficult to argue with that philosophy but it does mean that sometimes results are very delayed.

There's a chain of events but in the first instance it's up to the organiser to notify AUK that you finished their ride.

* If the ride hasn't appeared in the 'Event Results Sheets' page - then that is just the organiser taking his time.  Eventually, AUK would probably take notice and prod with a pointed stick - though if it is last season, things get a bit more complicated.

* If there are riders listed on the 'Event Results Sheet' and you are included, then the ride should also appear on your 'Individual Rides List'. 
If it doesn't (most unlikely) that would be a system error and AUK's Recorder is the person to notify - make sure you mention your membership number and the event number if you know it, or the date and location/distance.

* If there are riders listed on the Results Sheet and you are not in that list, then you would have to contact the organiser, because that means he has finished with the event but hasn't passed your name or number along to AUK.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #738 on: 30 December, 2014, 10:10:01 pm »
... I DM'd the org via Twitter a couple weeks ago, and got the reply that they've "been too busy"  ::-)

Some organisers see the ride as 'the thing' and everything else surrounding it (and especially after the event) as taking much lower priority.  It's rather difficult to argue with that philosophy but it does mean that sometimes results are very delayed.

There's a chain of events but in the first instance it's up to the organiser to notify AUK that you finished their ride.

* If the ride hasn't appeared in the 'Event Results Sheets' page - then that is just the organiser taking his time.  Eventually, AUK would probably take notice and prod with a pointed stick - though if it is last season, things get a bit more complicated.

* If there are riders listed on the 'Event Results Sheet' and you are included, then the ride should also appear on your 'Individual Rides List'. 
If it doesn't (most unlikely) that would be a system error and AUK's Recorder is the person to notify - make sure you mention your membership number and the event number if you know it, or the date and location/distance.

* If there are riders listed on the Results Sheet and you are not in that list, then you would have to contact the organiser, because that means he has finished with the event but hasn't passed your name or number along to AUK.

Thank you for the above FF.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #739 on: 30 December, 2014, 10:40:40 pm »
AUK's Recorder is the person to investigate and tell you which of FF's options apply - make sure you mention your membership number and the event number if you know it, or the date and location/distance.
FTFY

An email to recorder@aukweb.net works best.   ;D

« Reply #740 on: 31 December, 2014, 12:08:17 pm »
 :'( I taught they had about 2 weeks to submit results to AUK
Might be a new organiser??   Hope you get your due reward for completion of event.

Reg.T

« Reply #741 on: 31 December, 2014, 12:33:01 pm »
Not a new org. FF was on the money re: prioritisation.

« Reply #742 on: 05 January, 2015, 11:36:18 am »
Could someone give me ECE discussion link on YACF - the link from the Audax website fails
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #743 on: 05 January, 2015, 12:00:24 pm »
The ones at the bottom of each of Martin's event pages do work.

Edited to add the details:

Go to http://www.aukweb.net/perms/ and scroll down to Martin Malins, and click on one of his ECE events. Then use the link at the bottom.

(Takes you to the AUK forum, not yacf, maybe that was the problem.)

« Reply #744 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:01:24 pm »
Sorry was not clear

http://www.aukweb.net/diy/ece/

There is a faq link at bottom that does not work.

« Reply #745 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:11:53 pm »
Yes, that link is broken, but you get to the same place (the same FAQ) by doing as above.

« Reply #746 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:17:49 pm »
Ok thanks, I can't see any FAQ at all anywhere from the link you mention.

I'll wing it and submit what I think is correct and see where we go

« Reply #747 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:30:57 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #748 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:37:12 pm »
ECE question: if I enter a 100km event and ride at least 50km to and from the event, I can claim 2 points as if it were a 200km event by filling in the appropriate form and getting receipts etc?

So does the 13h30 for a 200km event apply from the moment I leave home (or get the start point pop) to the time I get home again? Eg if I leave home at 7:00 I have until 20:30 to finish the ECE, and if I've spent half an hour hanging round for the calendar event to start, that's simply bad timing on my part? Or does the ECE part have its own time limits, from starting to arriving at the calendar event?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Reg.T

« Reply #749 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:35:37 pm »
The complete ECE + Cal + ECE (including any time waiting at the start and/or eating cake at the end) has to be done within the overall time limit for the total distance. IIRC, you get extra time allowance for any over-distance on the ECE leg(s), but only the nominal Calendar event distance irrespective of any extra there.