Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753892 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #1425 on: 06 August, 2010, 10:30:09 am »
I stowed the costumes in the Altar, next to the blow up sheep and the Gimp.  Have you watered him recently? ::-)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1426 on: 06 August, 2010, 10:31:07 am »
... where do you meet up and at what time ?

There are no fixed times or locations. The only thing that is fixed (other than some bikes) is the pub to be patronised! Most MEMWNSers usually meet up en route rather than starting from the same place. Where abouts are you?

Edit: Do you like pickled eggs? That is a must!  :P

Oh yeah, pickled eggs!  That reminds me, we mustn't forget the elaborate initiation ceremony.  Can anyone remember who's looking after the costumes?  And, on the last two occasions I have towed the altar 52.94 miles (as set out in The Code) behind my bike to the secret and sacrosanct site.  I have to say that towing 2.94 tonnes of marble that far is not funny so I want one of you other lazy good for nothing twerps to do it next time.  I'm fed up  >:(

... it's character forming.

Anyway, my load-carrying capacity is all taken up with the radish on those eveninge, as you well know.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1427 on: 06 August, 2010, 10:33:40 am »
And forget OD's constant "More miles less beer" He's been saying that for about a year. It hasn't and will never happen!  :P

I just checked the post at the head of the thread, and it was, indeed, almost exactly a year ago that he started on about that (12th August 2009).  Should we have a ceremony or something?

« Reply #1428 on: 06 August, 2010, 10:33:58 am »
Anyway, my load-carrying capacity is all taken up with the radish on those eveninge, as you well know.
I think this might be appropriate for The Radish insertion, Login Clicky.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1429 on: 06 August, 2010, 10:47:28 am »
I think this might be appropriate for The Radish insertion, Login Clicky.

That would make your eyes water!

The sheep, ah yes, the sheep.  That was most unfortunate.  It (never did establish it's gender) was neglected.  The lack of watering was one of the smaller issues the poor animal had to endure.  Suffice to say it got fed up and defected to Cyclechat.  Apparently they're much nicer people and know all about how to make a sheep happy. 

And by the way, you can't keep using radishes as an excuse - pathetic  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1430 on: 06 August, 2010, 10:48:49 am »
And forget OD's constant "More miles less beer" He's been saying that for about a year. It hasn't and will never happen!  :P

We shall see.  I shall return from my holiday refreshed and ready to take on a new challenge!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1431 on: 06 August, 2010, 10:51:37 am »

We shall see.  I shall return from my holiday refreshed and ready to take on a new challenge!

You do realise that bionic bobb will be back on a bike soon, don't you?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1432 on: 06 August, 2010, 11:37:59 am »
I'm looking forward to that!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1433 on: 06 August, 2010, 11:57:43 am »
So is his left hand.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1434 on: 06 August, 2010, 12:28:56 pm »
Can you imagine how unfit I'll be when I do get back on a bike?! In the last few months, all I've done is drink beer and smoke fags!

I reckon I'd be dropped by TOKaMaK riding off his drive way!

Left handed wanking isn't really exercise  ;)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1435 on: 06 August, 2010, 12:34:37 pm »
Did you know that Maurice Ravel wrote a piano concerto for left hand only, Bobb? It was because Wittgenstein, concert pianist brother of the philosopher, lost his right hand in the first world war.

I wondered whether you might like to learn it, just for a bit of variety.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1436 on: 06 August, 2010, 12:46:35 pm »
Did you know that Maurice Ravel wrote a piano concerto for left hand only, Bobb? It was because Wittgenstein, concert pianist brother of the philosopher, lost his right hand in the first world war.

Might be worth carefully washing your hands first.  I imagine sticky finger tips might make the faster sections harder to play.

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #1437 on: 06 August, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »
If i get to come next wednesday ( depending on work levels and 'she who must be obeyed'  :demon:) I could provide the pickled eggs, home made of course. will just need to know how many.
I was led to belive any ceromony involved downing pints of stella in one :P
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

« Reply #1438 on: 06 August, 2010, 01:02:01 pm »

I remember learning a left hand only piece when I was packed off to piano lessons against my will as a child. It's boogie woogie all the way for me now - I hate classical music as it was rammed down my throat as a kid.

I do still play a few pieces on guitar. "Spanish romance" for example, will guarantee the removal of a pair of knickers  :P 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1439 on: 06 August, 2010, 01:02:24 pm »
Stella!!! [sharp in take of breath]

:o :o :o

« Reply #1440 on: 06 August, 2010, 01:05:45 pm »
Stella!!! [sharp in take of breath]
 :o :o :o
FatBloke would approve. ;)

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #1441 on: 06 August, 2010, 01:21:27 pm »
I thought initiation ceremonys where to test your strength and bravory against something difficult and nasty.............
Downing 2 pints of Old speckled hen in one, would be like having your insides massaged by large breasted virgins :P
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1442 on: 06 August, 2010, 01:55:30 pm »
I thought initiation ceremonys where to test your strength and bravory against something difficult and nasty.............
Downing 2 pints of Old speckled hen in one, would be like having your insides massaged by large breasted virgins :P

I think this chap might fit in  ;D

« Reply #1443 on: 06 August, 2010, 08:44:00 pm »
I've just remembered a brilliant ford that could be done on a MEMWNS!

In Writtle, just after Bridge Street turns into Chelmsford Road take a right into a field and head towards the river. It does have a slimey bottom surface for tractors to cross, but other than that it is a completely off road unofficial ford. It will spew you out on a track heading towards Hylands Park.

I've been through it hub deep and sometimes had to go the long way round in winter when the river is somewhat swollen. It is off road, but nothing a suitably tyred, sturdy road bike couldn't handle. Just a thought for ford lovers.....

Edit: it has short but steep entrances which ever way you tackle it. Commitment is essential if you want to get out the other side. You will probably get wet in one way or another  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1444 on: 06 August, 2010, 08:59:44 pm »
Sounds good. You can take us there once you're better  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1445 on: 06 August, 2010, 10:29:46 pm »

I doubt I'll be bike fit until winter. I'll happily take you there, but you may need to bring a snorkel at that time of year  :P

« Reply #1446 on: 07 August, 2010, 08:08:41 am »
After some event shuffling I'm around on Sunday afternoon to attend the Fuller Street Beer festival.  Any takers? 

chief

PS - I may have popped over there yesterday afternoon for a few hours to confirm the practicalities of such an event  O:-) 

« Reply #1447 on: 07 August, 2010, 10:19:26 am »

I doubt I'll be bike fit until winter. I'll happily take you there, but you may need to bring a snorkel at that time of year  :P

I think we did a similiar ford a few years ago at Christmas

« Reply #1448 on: 07 August, 2010, 01:17:29 pm »
After some event shuffling I'm around on Sunday afternoon to attend the Fuller Street Beer festival.  Any takers? 

Yup, I aim to cycle over some time around midday, for lunch and a few beers, obviously.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1449 on: 07 August, 2010, 03:22:26 pm »
I have a Family Do at which my grand-daughter will be introduced to a lot of people so I won't be at the pub.