Author Topic: Birthday Weekend Rides  (Read 2267 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Birthday Weekend Rides
« on: 26 January, 2015, 10:24:21 pm »
Yesterday, January 25th, mcshroom and I got up at 6am and made our way to Halton for a touring ride with Simeon Orme.  This involved a cafe stop at the Brief Encounter cafe at Carnforth station, (it isn't called that, it's where they made the film).  I loved that, there's a museum and everything, and the scones and tea were gorgeous.  It's had an award for giving good service to cyclists, and they couldn't have been more helpful.

It was pretty wet.  It didn't matter, we did a bit of COR on some squirmy grass paths beside the Lancaster Canal, and we rode along a beautiful road which Bonnie Prince Charlie took on his journey, apparently.  The later cake stop was at Catch 23 Cafe, which is built near a Roman harbour.  And we stopped for lunch in a hide at the Leighton Moss RSPB reserve to watch the birds.  What a grand day I had.  Simeon knows so much about his turf and was full of interesting stories, thanks for leading your rides Simeon.

Then, today, mcshroom and I had a huge brunch then went to Ennerdale and played on our mountain bikes again on the tracks round the lake.  We missed the rain, and the soft silver light of a northern January made the views so beautiful.  There's a lot of colour in winter woods.
[/url]20150126_142913 by ruthturner3, on Flickr][/img]

It's been windy lately, and our way was blocked by trees a few times.  Hardened intrepid souls that we are, we undauntedly (is that a word?  It is now) went round, hauling our bikes up the fellside and through the bogs. 

20150126_145919 by ruthturner3, on Flickr

There were bridges galore, and waterfally things, and lots of wildlife and plant species.  A couple of grand gravelly descents, and it was good fun splashing through the big wet potholes on the track. 

20150126_140007 by ruthturner3, on Flickr

Snow on the tops still.

Thanks for a lovely weekend mcshroom  :D

More crap 'phone photos here.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/106826773@N02/sets/72157650430713786/
Milk please, no sugar.

Re: Birthday Weekend Rides
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:13:29 am »
That's great, Ruth!  Halton's pretty interesting in its own right; I think it used to be the main town on the Lune until Lancaster usurped it but I'm not sure.  I think the road through Halton used to be the main road to Kirkby Lonsdale before they developed the current one south of the river.

« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:51:20 am »
Ditto. I wholeheartedly approve of your birthday entertainments, Ruthie. Glad you had a lovely weekend, and well done mcshroom for facilitating!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2015, 06:33:41 am »
That looks _splendid_!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2015, 09:48:26 am »
What an excellent way to spend your birthday and it looks like you took your 29er out.  Happy birthday Ruthie!

« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2015, 05:54:02 pm »
Here the photos of the Sunday ride at this link http://www.southlakesgroup.org/january-2015/25th.html

Yes Peter, Halton use to be the capital of North Lancashire due to it being the lowest crossing point over the River Lune. There is Anglo Saxon Cross in the Church yard which worth looking at!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2015, 05:56:58 pm »
Ah, thanks for that Simeon!  Looking at the photos reminds me what a brilliant day it was.  Thanks again  :D
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2015, 07:52:04 pm »
D'you know, we packed about a week's sight seeing into that ride.  The old rectory (which was fascinating), the nature reserve, Warton Crag - We really benefited from Simeon's local knowledge.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2015, 08:11:00 pm »
There was an awful lot of things to see on that ride and thank you Simeon for guiding us around your local area so well :thumbsup:

I have a few more pictures from over the weekend.

This was the award that the cafe at Carnforth station had won last year (and in the left hand corner there's an old fashioned ring up till with £.s.d flags and a bell)

Warton Old Rectory

...and our lunch time entertainment from the hide

The following day up in Ennerdale the river was flowing as high as I've seen it when I've been up there.

Usually you can see some of the rocks sticking out of the water there, but today they were covered, and there was a real roar in the background.

Elsewhere the Holly still had berries

... and there was a happy mountain biker flying down the gravel tracks :D

A few more pics here - https://picasaweb.google.com/115373950768738153823/RSFEnnerdaleWithRuth#
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2015, 08:54:30 pm »
Cor, Tripe and Onions, has been a while since I saw that for sale.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:27:38 am »
From the conversation the lady in the shop was having with her friend, I don't think it was selling too well.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2015, 12:51:21 pm »
Cor, Tripe and Onions, has been a while since I saw that for sale.

It's been for sale for an awful long time in Stalybridge. Every time I go I recognise the same piece of tripe.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.