Author Topic: Alternatives to Basecamp?  (Read 2861 times)

Alternatives to Basecamp?
« on: 09 March, 2020, 06:48:16 pm »
As the title says, any recommendations for Windows software alternatives to Garmin’s awful Basecamp for managing GPS files and units?

Thanks
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Re: Alternatives to Basecamp?
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2020, 09:23:41 pm »
Sorry unable to help with alternatives.

I've been using Basecamp for a number of years, although it's quirky, dated design and a steep learning curve I find it an extremely useful programme for managing GPX files.

I usually use RWGPS for route planning, but Basecamp is my go to option for:

Checking Tracks before uploading
Converting Routes to Tracks
Removing redundent sections of Tracks (e.g. the bit where I went the wrong way on the recce ride)
Dividing and joining Tracks (to change start point, enter new section etc.)
Reducing Track Points
Storing Tracks for future use/re-use

Although it's not easy to use once you've got to grips with it, it does these jobs very well.

Not sure whether that's helpful to you or not?

« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2020, 10:12:31 pm »
I still use the previous Garmin Mapsource. It doesn't have half the weirdnesses and unnecessary complexities of Basecamp.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2020, 11:04:10 pm »
Wot PhilB said.

« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2020, 07:16:59 pm »
Do either Mapsource or Basecamp work through Linux/Vine?

I have tried but I don't think there is a driver for the Garmin to USB link. 

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2020, 07:57:31 pm »
There is no need for any Garmin-USB driver for for any current Garmin devices.

The Garmin devices present as generic USB Mass Storage devices, like USB memory sticks.
If your OS can read/write to memory sticks, it can read/write to the Garmin.

I have no idea if these programs work in the Linux win-api-emulations.
However, I do know that Mapsource will filter the list of devices it will send stuff to, and exclude things it considers non-removable drives.
(There is a hacked version of the last release of Mapsource that will send to any drive.)
The wine emulation may not pass the test for removable devices, but I don't know.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2020, 08:06:39 pm »
QMapShack is an alternative. Available for Windows or Linux etc.
Doubt it is much easier to use. Anything with all of those features isn't going to be simple.

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2020, 08:59:22 pm »
Thanks chaps, I'll try again.  I have 10x 10 figure grid references to enter for a project and I'd rather spend a day fiddling to get Linux to work with a better UI than enter these directly on my Garmin Oregon.
Of course I could just fire up Windows but that would be giving in.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2020, 09:01:39 pm »
If you're on Linux, have a go with Viking.  It suffers from the same "anything with all of those features isn't going to be simple" problem (I haven't really spent any time getting the hang of it), but at least it's native.

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2020, 09:13:29 pm »
Thanks chaps, I'll try again.  I have 10x 10 figure grid references to enter for a project and I'd rather spend a day fiddling to get Linux to work with a better UI than enter these directly on my Garmin Oregon.
Of course I could just fire up Windows but that would be giving in.

You can change the default grid in basecamp then paste the 10 digit references into waypoints directly. Then just send those to your GPS.

« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2020, 10:07:03 pm »
Thanks Kim, I'll try Viking. 

As for Basecamp philw,  it's clunky but useable, It's now the only reason I have Windows on a box.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #11 on: 12 March, 2020, 10:29:51 pm »
From the School of Not Much Help:

Yeah, I had a quick look at QMapShack on Ubuntu when i thought I was going to have to ditch Windoze on this lapdog. It looked like it would do what I wanted but it would've meant a very steep learning curve. I would've been prepared to learn it but I ended up getting Win 10 to work on the lapdog for free and stuck with Basecamp.

« Reply #12 on: 13 March, 2020, 09:29:44 am »
Is Mapsource still available to download?

The reason I asked is that I can’t get Basecamp to work on my Windows 10 laptop. It did work but now when I start it up, it tells me that there is a problem with Microsoft.net and I should remove and reinstall Microsoft.Net. However,

1. You can’t remove Microsoft.net from windows 10. I have tried updating it but since I already have the latest version, it won’t update.

2. I have tried using the Microsoft.net repair tool from MS which seems to make a couple of changes but that doesn’t fix the Basecamp issue.

3. I tried removing and reinstalling Basecamp but that doesn’t fix it either.

No other program has complained about Microsoft.net though I have no idea which other programs rely on it.
So I’ve run out of ideas of what to do short of reinstalling Windows. The computer is a generic Lenovo laptop, nothing special about the hardware.

Edit: with a bit of internet searching, I found that this is a common problem and also a solution. Buried in the users/appdata/local/ directory for Basecamp is file called user.config which has become corrupted. Deleted it and Basecamp works again. You just have to reset your settings.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2020, 10:40:53 am »
Is Mapsource still available to download?
Not sure whether you still want it, but it appears to be here. The page confused me at first; there's an irrelevant update at the top, but the main download button, just below that, seems to be for the full package.

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:46:47 am »
If you do install map source it shares the maps you’ve installed into Basecamp. Which is pretty neat.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #15 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:05:00 pm »
I have copies of the Mapsource installer going back many versions if required!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #16 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:09:26 pm »
Also Mapsource downloads here, including old versions. http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/