Author Topic: Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE  (Read 172358 times)

Re: Difficulty in installing tyres?
« Reply #25 on: 01 November, 2011, 05:13:43 pm »
I must admit to owning & using a VAR tyre tool nowadays, bought because of past troubles. It is wonderful.

Indeed they are excellent and make absolute b*stard tyre/rim combos merely "A bit of a pain".

Soma steel core levers are marketed as "Probably the best tire lever ever made!" and "Virtually unbreakable!". Well I broke one on my PR2/Proton combo mentioned on page one!!

Anyway.... going slightly OT...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #26 on: 01 November, 2011, 05:48:35 pm »
I'm not familiar with the "shoe trick"...

Care to enlighten us Vorsprung ?

The Shoe Trick.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 01 November, 2011, 05:52:59 pm »
I think the only way this is going to work, beyond a collection of known-good and known-bad combinations, is if we get everyone together with an assortment of wheels and tyres and try all the combinations, in the style of the now legendary light testing session.

I suspect the effort would be better spent doing some more light testing.
... or spent posting on a lighting thread?  ::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 02 November, 2011, 10:33:00 am »
I've read that Fulcrums can be difficult.... anyone any ideas where to put them in the scale of things?

« Reply #29 on: 02 November, 2011, 10:41:36 am »
I've read that Fulcrums can be difficult.... anyone any ideas where to put them in the scale of things?

There's a forum member (called Pippa) who's Fulcrums were discarded after not many thousands of miles and replaced with Ksyriums for the sole reason of them being obstinate b@st@rds when it came to tyre changing.

Incidentally, Ksyriums + Specialized all condition armadillos = on and off without any tools  :thumbsup:

sletti

• Honestly
« Reply #30 on: 02 November, 2011, 10:50:41 am »
Schwalbe Stelvio are a piece of piss on Easton Circuit wheels :thumbsup:

(shame I bought the wrong sort of innertube this morning. Ended up with a 12 mile ride and a three mile walk inot work; Doh!)
"Stig", as in "A Stig", not "The Stig".

« Reply #31 on: 02 November, 2011, 03:12:11 pm »
Under the levers?

I'm sure there's a coat here somewhere . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #32 on: 02 November, 2011, 05:17:11 pm »
For the rim/tyre combinations (23c) I've used in the last few years:

I've not noticed any difference between Open Pro rims (that I used to use) and DT Swiss rims - RR1.1/RR465 (that I tend to use now).

Michelin Pro Race 3s are pretty easy once the tyre has stretched a bit. Michelin Krylions (23c) are a bit harder than PR3s to put on when new, but again fine once stretched. Vredstein Fortezza Tricomps are even easier than the Michelins. I can mend a puncture on stretched Tricomps without any tools!

I've never have any issues with any of these combinations...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #33 on: 10 November, 2011, 12:33:24 pm »
I must admit to owning & using a VAR tyre tool nowadays, bought because of past troubles. It is wonderful.

Indeed they are excellent and make absolute b*stard tyre/rim combos merely "A bit of a pain".

I've snapped a VAR lever trying to get a Marathon Plus off a Brompton wheel.  :-\

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #34 on: 10 November, 2011, 12:38:53 pm »
Marathon Supreme 32C on Rigida Chrina is easily get-on-and-offable. Comes off easily with levers, goes back on easily with bare hands.

Marathon Supreme 32C on Mavic Open Pro is even easier - levers not required.

Durano Plus 25C on same rims slightly harder work but comfortably manageable.

d.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 10 November, 2011, 12:39:28 pm »
If I knew I had a particularly reluctant combination, I'd carry an old-fashioned metal lever for removal. The VAR isn't particularly strong (which saves space/weight, I guess!) - it's 'strength' is in refitting the tyre without risking tube damage.

My VAR often bends alarmingly when refitting, so there is probably a limit to what you can do with one - not found it yet <crosses fingers>.

(Oh, and Marathon PLuses need removing at the roadside so infrequently, I'd say it's no big deal.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #36 on: 10 November, 2011, 12:59:40 pm »
My VAR often bends alarmingly when refitting, so there is probably a limit to what you can do with one - not found it yet <crosses fingers>.

Yes - mine did bend quite a long way before it snapped. I reckon you're right about metal levers. I'm reluctant to use them because of their potential for rim damage but sometimes needs must.

(Oh, and Marathon PLuses need removing at the roadside so infrequently, I'd say it's no big deal.)

True. The other good thing about the Brompton is that you can usually bail out when you get a puncture and hop on a bus, and leave wrestling with the tyre for when you get home.

RogerZ has previously suggested the standard rim tape on Brompton wheels is part of the problem, which seems very plausible, so I really ought to get round to replacing it.

d.

« Reply #37 on: 11 November, 2011, 12:04:50 am »

I've snapped a VAR lever trying to get a Marathon Plus off a Brompton wheel.  :-\

d.
Like Matt, I save mine for putting recalcitrant tyres back on. I wouldn't trust it to get a very tough tyre off. It does bend rather alarmingly at times. I've had it a very long time, though, & used it enough that I don't think it owes me anything. It's light, so lugging it around for that one purpose is no big deal.

For removing tyres I carry a couple of ordinary plastic levers, which are usually plenty, plus one very robust metal lever just in case.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #38 on: 11 November, 2011, 09:29:21 am »
Shame that Specialized Pry Babies have been discontinued.  These wonderfully-named levers help you to manipulate tyres without resorting to brute force alone.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #39 on: 02 January, 2012, 09:09:15 pm »
As reported elsewhere (http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=55314.15), Rigida Chrinas are harder to get tyres on & off than Mavic Open Pros.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #40 on: 10 June, 2012, 09:15:08 pm »
Exal LX17 and Michelin Optimum front are moderately difficult

Although who else will be mating this obscure 17mm rim with an out of production tyre I don't know  ;D

« Reply #41 on: 10 June, 2012, 11:33:16 pm »
I've not found Gatorskins particularly hard, but I've only put them on Mavic rims - old MA2s, Open Pros, & whatever my old Roberts had (I can't remember - Woofage, what are they?).
I've since taken a 23mm Gatorskin off a Rigida rim (model unknown), as bought secondhand in this parish, & put a 28mm on. Not the easiest tyre change I've ever done, but nothing to write home about.

FYI, I'm crap at changing tyres, so if I say it's easy it's very very easy.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #42 on: 11 June, 2012, 07:34:13 am »
Vredestein Fiammante 23 mm on Mavic open pro rims was no problem fitting without tools.

« Reply #43 on: 11 June, 2012, 09:21:19 am »
I had some trouble early on with M+ until I refined my technique which is very similar to the Spa video but I haven't needed cable ties etc. All I do differently now is let the air out of the tube before I try to get the final bit of the tyre on. I find this allows me to pich the tyre into the well better on the opposite side. Hold that in place against my stomach and then slide my hands round to the far side pinching in the tyre as I go. On all my current rims that works to allow me to just lside the remainder of the tyre on by thumb. This covers M+, Marathon, M Supreme, Halo Twin Rail, Continental Tour, Marathon Winter, Schwalbe Blizzard and Conti GP Grand Prix.

As for rims:-

Giant IOU own brand 622-13 - all tyres used went on fine by hand - M+ in 700x28/32/35, M Winter 700x35, Schwalbe Blizzard 700x23

Alex 622-17 & 622-18 rims - various sizes on Conti and Marathon went on fine by hand, slightly easier than the narrower Giant rims

Mavic A719 622-19 rims - everything from 700x28 to 700x40 went on well by hand easier again than the rims above

Mavic TN719 622-19 disc only rims - about the same as the A719 but have used tyres from 700x28 to 700x56(29x2.2) on these with no problems

Rigida Sputnik 622-19 rim - I found these really tough with any tyre I tried to fit to them, the only rim that I've had to resort to a lever to get the tyre on...I don't have any of these rims anymore
Nuns, no sense of humour

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #44 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:07:52 am »
I had some trouble early on with M+ until I refined my technique which is very similar to the Spa video but I haven't needed cable ties etc. All I do differently now is let the air out of the tube before I try to get the final bit of the tyre on. I find this allows me to pich the tyre into the well better on the opposite side. Hold that in place against my stomach and then slide my hands round to the far side pinching in the tyre as I go. On all my current rims that works to allow me to just lside the remainder of the tyre on by thumb. This covers M+, Marathon, M Supreme, Halo Twin Rail, Continental Tour, Marathon Winter, Schwalbe Blizzard and Conti GP Grand Prix.

This technique alone isn't enough for me with 28mm M+ tyres on MA3 and A719 rims, and 35mm M+ on MA2 and Vuelta Tempest rims.  I need cable ties as well.  At least that is when the tyres are new.  They may be easier the second time after the beads have stretched.  There hasn't been a second time for me yet.

« Reply #45 on: 11 June, 2012, 02:32:55 pm »

This technique alone isn't enough for me with 28mm M+ tyres on MA3 and A719 rims, and 35mm M+ on MA2 and Vuelta Tempest rims.  I need cable ties as well.  At least that is when the tyres are new.  They may be easier the second time after the beads have stretched.  There hasn't been a second time for me yet.

I totally accept certain rim/tyre combos aren't going to play nice which is why I wouldn't buy the Sputniks again as I found they didn't play nice with any of my tyres.

I did have some 28mm M+ that went on A719 rims with this method but they had been on other rims beforehand. So I can well believe that new they may require extra measures.

I was just chucking in my limited experiences to add to the data pool, though I realise that as I use wider rims and tyres exclusively these days I probably won't experience some of the more severe trials and tribulations.  ;D
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #46 on: 11 June, 2012, 09:00:30 pm »
Marathon supreme folders were a joy to install. Alex rims. Thumbs only.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #47 on: 22 June, 2012, 03:51:43 pm »
schwalbe Marathon Supreme 700C x 32mm fitted on Mavic Open Pro and Mavic CXP33 today.
No need for tools, in fact one of the easiest tyres I've tried to fit.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #48 on: 04 August, 2012, 07:01:03 pm »
700c Rims
Smallest Diameter to Largest
(= easiest to fit tyres to at the top of the list )
Mavic Ksyrium
Mavic MA2
Mavic Open Pro
[...]

I'd put Open Pro above MA2.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #49 on: 04 August, 2012, 08:19:17 pm »
Worst combo: 20" Velocity Aero Rims with Vredestein Perfect Moiree

Bent/broke 2x Park Tools levers, 1x Tacx and a Speedlever trying to get them off the rim.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium