Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256589 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #2150 on: 25 July, 2020, 11:35:11 am »
New day of the innings never seems to go that well.

ETA perhaps Broad will have something to say...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2151 on: 25 July, 2020, 12:17:17 pm »
Yes, it's become fashionable to mock Broad's batting after his loss of nerve.  But the basic stuff is still there - he has a huge test score to his name, I think, probably higher than his father, who was a "real" batsman.

I think 300 will be enough.

« Reply #2152 on: 25 July, 2020, 12:36:32 pm »
50.   :thumbsup:

...   "joint third fastest half-century in Test by an England batsman. "

« Reply #2153 on: 26 July, 2020, 12:41:04 pm »
Is it my imagination or has Broad lost a little bit of weight? He was never heavy of course, but he's looking as good as I've ever seen him.

Him and Anderson: class pair.

Strange listening to TMS in this kind of environment.
Garry Broad

« Reply #2154 on: 26 July, 2020, 01:46:29 pm »
We are lucky to have such a good pair, possibly for a year or so more.  Their career averages (Tests) are very similar, with Anderson just better on 27 and Broad on 28 runs per wicket.  It's interesting (to me at least!) that of the bowlers who have over 300 test wickets (and Anderson has nearly twice that) Fred Trueman has easily the best average at about 21.5.  Often wondered what his figures would have been if he'd played more than his paltry 67 tests (he was out of favour for his attitude a lot of the time).  Interestingly, Bob Willis has the second best average of the 300 + men.

As a schoolboy, I was lucky enough to see Fred bowl in a charity match at Stanmore in Middlesex.  But even though he went off a short run (on advice from the local hospital, I imagine) I still struggled to follow the ball!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2155 on: 26 July, 2020, 07:49:17 pm »
Friday morning I discussed this test with my boss, an avid krikkit fan.  I suggested that on the basis that this test, for the series, matters, I bet on England collapse.  He said "I concur".

Ho hum.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2156 on: 26 July, 2020, 08:12:29 pm »
They may not get much play tomorrow anyway...  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcw25grrk#?date=2020-07-27

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2157 on: 26 July, 2020, 10:33:41 pm »
I think that was the dilemma.

Declare early and there's no weather and they have two days to make a mediocre score.
Declare late and there's not enough time to get them all out. Because weather.
Declare early and get a few wickets because the ball is swinging.
etc
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2158 on: 08 August, 2020, 04:16:18 pm »
At what point does a rearguard action become a lost cause?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2159 on: 08 August, 2020, 07:02:23 pm »
That was a very impressive win by England.

« Reply #2160 on: 08 August, 2020, 08:53:10 pm »
Woakes and Butler: superb.
Spent the afternoon round at my sisters watching the game.
Such a strange atmosphere - or rather lack of it!
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2161 on: 08 August, 2020, 11:21:25 pm »
That was a very impressive win by England.

Yup.

Thought it was lost and nervously refreshed the text...

It is simpler than it looks.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2162 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:16:15 am »
Woakes and Butler: superb.

To put their innings in context, and I can't remember the stat exactly (something like english batsmen below 5 in the battling order scoring more than  50 60 in a winning 4th innings run chase), the last one to do it was Gilbert Jessop in 1902.

And this is what they wrote about Jessop's innings

Gloucester Journal - Saturday 16 August 1902
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2163 on: 09 August, 2020, 09:46:35 am »
IIRC Jessop's nickname was "The Croucher".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2164 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:11:44 am »
Just nattering to my son about the match. His comment:

And just imagine, if buttler wasn't such a crap wicket keeper they wouldn't have had to do it

and

Brilliant stuff, though. It's really good that cricket is so competitive at the moment. My memories of it from childhood are of England being obviously beaten by day 2

« Reply #2165 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:37:32 am »
And just imagine, if buttler wasn't such a crap wicket keeper they wouldn't have had to do it

To be fair to Butler, he was the first to fess up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53702616
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2166 on: 09 August, 2020, 07:45:17 pm »
Yes, I saw that too.

« Reply #2167 on: 09 August, 2020, 07:49:16 pm »
One of the advantages of being in office on own due to other staff being furlughed is I can listen to the cricket. I've now moved onto county cricket when TMS isn't on.

Shame that Ben "the talisman" stokes isnt playing any more this series. Its not so much what he does but the time that he does it and personally feel he should be captain so Joe can get back to being an absolutely first rate batsman

« Reply #2168 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:02:32 pm »

If proper wicket keepers were picked, we might not have this problem. Although I'm not sure such a thing exists anymore. The last genuine wicket keeper to play for England was probably Jack Russell...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2169 on: 10 August, 2020, 12:06:36 am »

If proper wicket keepers were picked, we might not have this problem. Although I'm not sure such a thing exists anymore. The last genuine wicket keeper to play for England was probably Jack Russell...

It's always been 'a problem' - if you can call it a problem.

Going back a bit, it was always a big talking point in my day during the 1970s with Alan Knott - a very fine keeper and a very useful middle order batsman. His 'all round' ability mean that his more than capable peer, Jack Taylor was denied international recognition for some years. Taylor was a fine wicket keeper and very much a purest of then art, and considered to be a notch above Alan Knott behind the stumps.....but Knotty got the nod because his very capable batting ability. Jack Taylor verged on being clueless with the bat......especially in those higher international arenas.

It's always been a balancing act.

The person who's really pushed the the envelope in this regard during modern times is the Australian keeper/batsman Adam Gilchrist. He really raised the bar.

Once you get players that break the mold of being 'only' a wicket keeper it's very difficult to pick somebody along those grounds alone.....even if, on paper, it looks like the right thing to do.
Garry Broad

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2170 on: 10 August, 2020, 05:55:46 am »
The wicketkeeper was Bob Taylor. Jack Taylor was a referee (world cup final 1974) and my auntie's butcher in Wolverhampton.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2171 on: 10 August, 2020, 06:08:33 am »
Did he play cricket in between his stints as a framebuilder? 😉
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/designs/hsjacktaylor.html
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2172 on: 10 August, 2020, 07:14:09 am »

« Reply #2173 on: 10 August, 2020, 07:26:56 am »

It's always been 'a problem' - if you can call it a problem.

Going back a bit, it was always a big talking point in my day during the 1970s with Alan Knott - a very fine keeper and a very useful middle order batsman. His 'all round' ability mean that his more than capable peer, Jack Taylor was denied international recognition for some years. Taylor was a fine wicket keeper and very much a purest of then art, and considered to be a notch above Alan Knott behind the stumps.....but Knotty got the nod because his very capable batting ability. Jack Taylor verged on being clueless with the bat......especially in those higher international arenas.

It's always been a balancing act.

The person who's really pushed the the envelope in this regard during modern times is the Australian keeper/batsman Adam Gilchrist. He really raised the bar.

Once you get players that break the mold of being 'only' a wicket keeper it's very difficult to pick somebody along those grounds alone.....even if, on paper, it looks like the right thing to do.

Good point. I guess the old way was more about picking wicket keepers who can bat a bit rather than batsmen who can keep a bit as it is today. It would seem as long as the player in question knows which glove is left and which is right - he'll do...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2174 on: 10 August, 2020, 08:13:19 am »
[I was just on the verge of correcting myself when guess who shows up....]

The wicketkeeper was Bob Taylor. Jack Taylor was a referee (world cup final 1974)

Yes, quite right, I remember him too......and the game of course.

and my auntie's butcher in Wolverhampton.

There are two ways of reading that statement. I trust you meant the first one :-)
Good to see you Mr Salvatore
Garry Broad