Author Topic: Radio4 Addicted  (Read 7856 times)

iakobski

Re: Radio4 Addicted
« Reply #25 on: 02 December, 2011, 09:33:58 am »
I make heavy use of the R4 podcasts to listen on the bike - starting with The Archers from when I turn off the main road, then yesterday's Today highlights, then through From Our Own Correspondent, Material World, More or Less, The Report, etc., etc. Comedy programs are not on podcast, so they're on iPlayer when I'm ironing - Listen Against is better than anything on the telly, as was Cabin Pressure.

No-one's mentioned books and plays, The Complete Smiley was clearly the best adaptation yet, and the recent Gormenghast, heavily abridged of course but a good new angles.

And not forgetting The Shipping Forecast, I listen to that most mornings, though with digital upstairs I have the option of switching back to the World Service to hear the end of whatever was interrupted by the switchover.

Now this radio downloader someone mentioned above - is something similar available for MacOs? Or even Linux command line? I take it GetiPlayer has not been reincarnated?

« Reply #26 on: 02 December, 2011, 09:36:43 am »
I hate the Now Show, with all of its hyped canned laughter. Weekending was funnier IMO and
I'm sad that they axed it a few years ago. I like the News Quiz and I'm Sorry I haven't a clue.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 02 December, 2011, 10:14:58 am »
I make heavy use of the R4 podcasts to listen on the bike - starting with The Archers from when I turn off the main road, then yesterday's Today highlights, then through From Our Own Correspondent, Material World, More or Less, The Report, etc., etc. Comedy programs are not on podcast, so they're on iPlayer when I'm ironing - Listen Against is better than anything on the telly, as was Cabin Pressure.
Actually SOME of the comedy IS podcast. There is a 'Comedy of the Week*' and the odd other bits-n-pieces. Possibly the newer stuff?

No doubt they're protecting their assets here - CD sales of ISIHAC are a goldmine for the BBC. 'Today' programme less so!.

*I think it's Dilemma this week, which was rather good.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 02 December, 2011, 10:23:55 am »
The Friday 6.30 comedy slot is podcast, usually alternating between News Quiz and Now Show. I believe the reason much of the comedy isn't podcast is that it's made by independent production companies, so the BBC don't have the rights to podcast it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #29 on: 02 December, 2011, 11:03:51 am »
get iplayer is still around. 2.80 is the latest version. I use 2.79 to grab all kinds of radio 4 goodness on my ubuntu box at home. They've stopped doing flashaudio so i get the aac file and convert to  mp3 with winff. It does seem to have a problem with programmes longer than 1 hour so i switch to rtspaac for those.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #30 on: 02 December, 2011, 11:54:44 am »
Radio 4, together with the World Service, justifies the license fee.

When I travel overseas I am most disconcerted not to be able to wake to the Today programme.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #31 on: 03 December, 2011, 04:54:52 pm »
It is a brilliant programme and the opportunity to swear at whining farmers while shaving adds to the gaiety of the nation and accounts for my sunny and upbeat disposition. It justifies the licence fee on its own.

'... accounts for my sunny and upbeat disposition.'   ???
And that, M'lud, concludes the case for the existence of alternative universes.   ;D

I concur with many on here. Today on in the morning, 6:30 comedies mostly enjoyed (some duds), then Mrs Marco does the Archers whilst washing up. otherwise it's a quick switch to 4Extra for classic comedy (also some duds, but some good stuff) if I am washing up. Afternoon play sometimes listened to if driving around during the day, can be really good. And someone mentioned Les Miserables upthread - that was terrific, & repeated on 4Extra a few weeks ago.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #32 on: 03 December, 2011, 06:41:15 pm »
I confess I listen to too much r4

I hate the Archers, anything with Melyvn Bragg in it, Money Box and Round Britain Quiz

Like "Something Understood", those shows when they go for a walk and "I'm sorry I haven't a Clue"

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #33 on: 03 December, 2011, 07:16:08 pm »
Now, I fell out with the Archers about two yeas ago.  I decided that there were only 3 basic characters. 
1. The terminally nice.
2. The congenital whinge/complainer
3. The poor sod to whom the current story line had decreed a hard time.

However, I've come back to it a bit (still hovering) recently.

I realised that this the case with most R4 output. 
Round Britain Quiz?  Yep, I sometimes think "Oh FFS this is too anal" and then, after a year or two, I come back to it. 
Likewise "Just a Minute"  Spent many years away.  Then came back for a while.  Drifting towards ignoring for a while again.
I think all the output comes and goes chez Basil.  Perhaps that is how it is supposed to work.

I've loved R4 since I was ill as a 12 year old and my mother put a radio on the chest of drawers to keep me company.

Random thoughts
ISIHAC needs a refresh.  About the only thing I still enjoy there is the Uxbridge Dictionary.

Bells on Sunday. 
Come on!  Doesn't that make you weep with Britishness?  How would it be possible for that to happen on the radio in any other part of the world?

Stephen Nolan on R5 Live.  Just how Daily Mail Ranty Crap does he have to be, to have me preferring the Shipping Forecast to drop off to sleep to?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #34 on: 03 December, 2011, 07:18:39 pm »
My car radio thinks that radio 4 is the only station that exists. I particularity like subjecting pcolbeck junior and his mates to The Archers when I pick them up from squash on a Friday evening.
Favourites are:

Infinite Monkey Cage
The Life Scientific
The Now Show
The News Quiz
In our Time
More or Less
A Good Read

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #35 on: 03 December, 2011, 07:39:11 pm »
Ah yes.  More or Less.
Gets my vote for the best new thingy.

Yes, I like Infinite Monkey Cage, but it comes second.
However, I'm cool with its attempt to make physics cool.

The Life Scientific?  What's that then ?

« Reply #36 on: 03 December, 2011, 07:41:09 pm »
Jim ubiquitous Al-Khalili talks to various scientists about their work and life.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #37 on: 03 December, 2011, 07:42:36 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #38 on: 03 December, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »
I have trouble with Radio 4 because they intersperse interesting programmes with the bloody Archers (which may be interesting if you've been listening since 1950) and obscure features on the lesbian yak weavers of Timbuktu.
Fascinating. How do they know, while they're still weaving, that the finished yak will be lesbian?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

Radio4 Addicted
« Reply #39 on: 04 December, 2011, 02:54:38 pm »
The Life Scientific?  What's that then ?

My wife has just introduced me to it this morning, funnily enough. Really good. And available as a podcast.

d.

« Reply #40 on: 04 December, 2011, 09:36:32 pm »
I grew up having breakfast to thought for the day, and being driven home from school listening to PM.

Was a big fan of Radio 7 too, but when it became Radio 4 Extra, I just went off it.

However for Radio 4,  Ross Noble goes global remains my favourite ever radio series.

Regulator

« Reply #41 on: 05 December, 2011, 07:02:55 am »
The News Quiz

Anything with Sandi Toskvig is going to be good  :thumbsup:

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #42 on: 05 December, 2011, 11:58:51 am »
I suddenly realised over the weekend that I can set the Freeview box to record The Infinite Monkey Cage, so no more freezing in the car park :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #43 on: 08 December, 2011, 10:03:40 am »
I find Melvyn Bragg to be irritating adenoidal pretentiousness personified.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #44 on: 08 December, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »

Me too but he has great guests on In our Time and he does a good job of forcing them to keep to the discussion in question.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #45 on: 08 December, 2011, 01:12:06 pm »

Me too but he has great guests on In our Time and he does a good job of forcing them to keep to the discussion in question.

Dr Larrington has been a guest a couple of times.  'nuff said.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #46 on: 08 December, 2011, 01:18:06 pm »

Did you hear the two-parter on the Industrial Revolution? He got rather irritable with one of the women guests on that. Hugely entertaining.

d.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 12 December, 2011, 05:09:03 pm »
Infinite Monkey Cage was a bit weird today; the only people they were rude about were other scientists  :o

(It was quite an interesting one about how/why music affects us.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #48 on: 14 December, 2011, 10:29:19 am »
Did we all catch the Classic Serial last weekend? Gargantua & Pantagruel by Rabelais. Absolutely brilliant. I studied the book at uni many years ago but I'd forgotten how funny it is. I'd say the dramatisation did it justice (although they left out some of the more colourful language). I laughed lots.

Part one is still on iPlayer and part two is on this Sunday afternoon.

d.

Regulator

« Reply #49 on: 14 December, 2011, 12:00:50 pm »
Infinite Monkey Cage was a bit weird today; the only people they were rude about were other scientists  :o

(It was quite an interesting one about how/why music affects us.)

Scientists can be bitchy old queens...  ;D

Green Party Councillor