« Reply #75 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:20:46 pm »
Youngs is brewed in Bedford these days.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Beer!
« Reply #76 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:22:20 pm »
It's in the nature of any hobby that the reputation of certain products will spread because of their good qualities, and people further away will want to try them. Enjoying a pint of Black Sheep in Suffolk doesn't mean that Mauldon's is any less appreciated, or will suffer because you supped a foreign pint.

« Reply #77 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:27:57 pm »
Wetherspoons are pretty good for offering local beers.  In fact, it was doing audax rides that ended in a JDW pub that opened my eyes to the fact that they are not all about pure horror.

Anyway, I really like the fact there is now a plethora of choice brought in by the craft beer explosion. I think this kind of cross fermentation  (pun) thing is good. It's how culture develops. I like that British real ale culture has been taken on by the Yanks and then fed back to us with their own take on it. They are ingenious experimenters not bound by the sort of dullard closed-minded attitude and cultural bigotry that has been expressed upthread. Of course, success will always be emulated and industrialised but so what.

« Reply #78 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:30:10 pm »
It's in the nature of any hobby that the reputation of certain products will spread because of their good qualities, and people further away will want to try them. Enjoying a pint of Black Sheep in Suffolk doesn't mean that Mauldon's is any less appreciated, or will suffer because you supped a foreign pint.

How do you feel about Greene King?  ;D

Actually, the best pint I ever had was just a simple pint of Adnam's Bitter. It was in that pub opposite the brewery. Some beer can't be bottled well, and doesn't travel.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #79 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:36:27 pm »
I like that British real ale culture has been taken on by the Yanks and then fed back to us with their own take on it. They are ingenious experimenters not bound by the sort of dullard closed-minded attitude and cultural bigotry that has been expressed upthread.

The best American brewers understand that you can't just draw a woman with a nose on the side of her face and call yourself Picasso.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #80 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:40:39 pm »

It's just wrong  >:(  And I won't be persuaded otherwise  ;D

Oh and by the way, I am a great fan of 'spoons for what it's worth.

« Reply #81 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:41:27 pm »
I like that British real ale culture has been taken on by the Yanks and then fed back to us with their own take on it. They are ingenious experimenters not bound by the sort of dullard closed-minded attitude and cultural bigotry that has been expressed upthread.

The best American brewers understand that you can't just draw a woman with a nose on the side of her face and call yourself Picasso.

I've had several really good pints recently from British brewers, Amarillo from a London brewer, and Kowabunga from Cromarty brewery.

Neither of those beers would exist without the input of US brewers into beer culture.

TimC

« Reply #82 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:46:33 pm »

Actually, the best pint I ever had was just a simple pint of Adnam's Bitter. It was in that pub opposite the brewery. Some beer can't be bottled well, and doesn't travel.

Greene King? I'm not sure I've ever had a pint of their products - but I've been persuaded to do a visit to their brewery with my local next month! Adnams' beers seem very good (though I'm no beer expert), and their shops are alcohol (and foodie) wonderlands, and I'm lucky that there's one not two miles away in Hadleigh.

ian

« Reply #83 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:56:45 pm »
I had a pint of Greene King IPA once. Erm.

I had to wash my mouth out with the contents of the Regents Canal (by Broadway Market, of course). Tasted much the same come to think of it.

I confess I'm often to be found in various taprooms (or Bottleshop). Fresh beer, reasonably priced, and not very many beer miles at all (more a case beer-metres – sorry, I have no idea how long a foot is).

No one needs to be a beer expert. This is not the thread for ratebeer pseuds. I draw the line at Stella and other cooking or footwashing lagers, mind. A man has to have some standards. Or so I've been told.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #84 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:57:38 pm »
Neither of those beers would exist without the input of US brewers into beer culture.

Totally agree that the American craft brewing movement has been a hugely positive influence but unfortunately it is also responsible for inspiring an awful lot of shite beers (British and American) made by hipster wannabes who haven't got a fucking clue what they're doing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #85 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:58:49 pm »

Greene King? I'm not sure I've ever had a pint of their products - but I've been persuaded to do a visit to their brewery with my local next month! Adnams' beers seem very good (though I'm no beer expert), and their shops are alcohol (and foodie) wonderlands, and I'm lucky that there's one not two miles away in Hadleigh.

I don't mind GK beer, if you want to visit Wally at The Cat's (features in OD's Top 5 Most Favourite Pubs) you've no choice as that's all he serves - that and kitten killer.

We did the GK brewery tour once, it was quite interesting.  Our guide said that when they take over a brewery they sack all the staff except the head brewer.  Then they analyse the water of the now defunct brewery so they can replicate it at Bury St E.  Then once the head brewer can produce exactly the same beer at BSE as (s)he did at the original brewery they get their P45.  How true the story actually was and whether it still is I don't know but it kind of fanned the flames of GK's reputation.

« Reply #86 on: 25 October, 2016, 06:10:47 pm »
GK IPA won CAMRA champion beer of Britain at least once; it's not my favourite example of the style by any means but I don't get the hate it sometimes inspires.

« Reply #87 on: 25 October, 2016, 06:41:40 pm »

Totally agree that the American craft brewing movement has been a hugely positive influence but unfortunately it is also responsible for inspiring an awful lot of shite beers (British and American) made by hipster wannabes who haven't got a fucking clue what they're doing.

Fashion, trends, bandwagons and marketing I'm afraid.

There are beer wars going on our there at the moment, it's all getting a bit heated in the streets!
[And no, not going there...not going to mention the C word!]

One thing that has to be mentioned that has changed though and been concurrent with the Craft Beer movement [meaningless phrase really] is the different way of dispensing beer - namely the preponderance of k-keg and E-keg systems as well as the traditional cask conditioned system. Baring in mind a keg beer with probably last a good two weeks as opposed to a few days on cask, you can see the attraction from a business point of view. Cask is fine, but it takes plenty of looking after and you've got to shift it. With the keg stuff, you can have smaller quantities lasting longer so you can have different varieties available at the same time. I went to a craft beer palce the other day that had 20 beers on!!

Persoanally, I'll try anything [and often do] but with the best will in the world I just can't stand beers that are too carbonated, too citrasy [the hop] and too cold - which sadly rules out most of the newer beers styles for me. It's just not my bag. Getting hold of my own personal Nivarna is getting increasing rare.

What is interesting is see, is a lot of guys who are lager drinkers, being very at home with a fashionable hopey, carbonated keg beer. Many more women are also drinking beer than have previously, and bottles are very in with the youngsters. So brewers are looking at much wider, diverse markets these days.

But I do wonder how significant the SBR  [small brewers relief] is to the survival of many of these micro breweries. I was reading a while back that Batemans [trad ale brewery from Lincolnshire, XXXB lovely pint] actually cut their production back to come in under the threshold of a specific SBR tariff for tax purposes.

Another interesting paradox is the ever decreasing number of public houses in the country while on the other, the increasing number of micro breweries emerging. Brewing is one thing - selling the stuff is another. I do quite a lot of work for a local micro brewery, helping with the fit-out of their tasting bars/bottle shops. They have big [for them] expansioni plans, and are borrowing money all over the place. It's interesting to see it all unfolding. I really wish them well [hell I should do, I drink there]. But I do wonder about the longevity of what's going on at the moment. [Who was it who said 'If you see a band wagon, chances are it's too late?]

Going back to fashion, trends, bandwagons and marketing......all these things level out in the end and there has to be saturation point sooner or later, and the best stuff[well...what you can sell I suppose] will survive. In the Meantime....if you like beer - get drinking  :)
Garry Broad

TimC

« Reply #88 on: 25 October, 2016, 06:41:52 pm »

I don't mind GK beer, if you want to visit Wally at The Cat's (features in OD's Top 5 Most Favourite Pubs) you've no choice as that's all he serves - that and kitten killer.

We did the GK brewery tour once, it was quite interesting.  Our guide said that when they take over a brewery they sack all the staff except the head brewer.  Then they analyse the water of the now defunct brewery so they can replicate it at Bury St E.  Then once the head brewer can produce exactly the same beer at BSE as (s)he did at the original brewery they get their P45.  How true the story actually was and whether it still is I don't know but it kind of fanned the flames of GK's reputation.

I'll ask! I'm not proud, and can quite easily get a taxi home...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #89 on: 25 October, 2016, 06:51:41 pm »
A new micropub opened in Queenborough the other day so I popped in on the way home this evening. Totally unsurprised to find a bunch of acquaintances in there. Managed a couple (Gadds Seaside and Kent Brewery Session Pale)before being dragged home by Mrs n for Strictly. A carry out of Hopdaemon's Incubus softened the blow though. I'm definitely liking this idea of opening a pub any old where.

Hmmm. Queenborough is a nice kind of distance from home for a bike ride... what's the pub called?

Gadd's Seasider would be worth the trip even if it were a lot further away.
It's the Admiral's Arms. Have a squint at their facebook page for opening times.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #90 on: 25 October, 2016, 08:22:16 pm »
If you buy Doombar in bottle, it probably hasn't travelled that far, having been brewed in Burton-on-Trent:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-33175395

Which I think simply makes matters worse  ::-)

My wife used ot work for Whitbread, in dispensing technology - a pint of Stella in 9 secs, but I digress - the point is that they bought Flowers amongst other brands and moved it to their brewery in South Wales.  Despite their attempts to recreate the relevant water etc it never tasted the same.

Not so much that beer doesn't travel, more that a brewery doesn't travel.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #91 on: 26 October, 2016, 08:31:12 pm »

Another interesting paradox is the ever decreasing number of public houses in the country while on the other, the increasing number of micro breweries emerging. Brewing is one thing - selling the stuff is another. I do quite a lot of work for a local micro brewery, helping with the fit-out of their tasting bars/bottle shops. They have big [for them] expansioni plans, and are borrowing money all over the place. It's interesting to see it all unfolding. I really wish them well [hell I should do, I drink there]. But I do wonder about the longevity of what's going on at the moment. [Who was it who said 'If you see a band wagon, chances are it's too late?]

Things will always change, you can say the same about beer that you can say for food. I grew up on fish fingers, now I can't get away from artisanal artichokes. My parents didn't even trust pepper on the grounds it smelled a bit foreign. You wanted a choice of beer back then, it was Kimbo or Mansfield, which was like selecting which lock on the Erewash Canal to drink from. Things have come along. The market will support what it will support. I like it and I like the fact it's moved the emphasis away from drinking purely to get pissed. For some people, anyway.

Any pub that is reliant on cheap, mass produced beer and a menu that consists of three flavours of crisps and scampi snacks is probably doomed. Supermarkets and shops are always going to undercut. A lot of them can't adapt to a changing market, a friend of ours used to run a pub in SE London. The brewery landlords simply restricted everything, you stocked what they told you, when you told you, even down to the menu. So what could have been a thriving pub in an up-and-coming part of London wasn't. Given property prices, they were probably trying to kill it, indeed it closed for 'refurbishment' in July and has yet to reopen. Be interesting if it ever does, or whether a planning notice appears on the door. More flats.

« Reply #92 on: 27 October, 2016, 01:10:26 pm »
Despite their attempts to recreate the relevant water etc it never tasted the same.

Not so much that beer doesn't travel, more that a brewery doesn't travel.
There's more to it than the water.
Wye Valley Butty Bach (for example) has quite noticeably gone off since new, bigger plant was installed at the same brewery.

I put it down to different mash tuns heating up & cooling down at different rates to the originals.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #93 on: 28 October, 2016, 08:24:25 pm »
...As is Dead Pony Club...

Live Dead Pony Club is quite nommy.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #94 on: 28 October, 2016, 08:26:15 pm »
Of them, I liked the Jaipur the best, a real IPA.

The stolen recipe inspiration for Punk IPA.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #95 on: 29 October, 2016, 08:21:17 pm »
Tonight I had an organic, unfined porter from Pitfields brewery in Epping.

Nice, chocolatey, coffee-ey, slight smokiness.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #96 on: 30 October, 2016, 06:43:30 pm »
Some Anspach & Hobday Session Cream Ale, Burning Sky Arise, and Chorlton Sour, followed by a nice autumnal ride home. I was hoping for some Marmalade Saison but that's not coming on till next weekend.

Just to rile you beer purists, some Mangoes into a Bar, Passionfruit Wheat, Black IPA (Optare), Kentucky Triple, Bermondsey Mule Grisette and one that I forgot at the Fourpure tap on Friday.

« Reply #97 on: 30 October, 2016, 06:58:58 pm »
Morrisons have their own brand beer brewed by Ringwood & Marstons breweries. Not half bad and currently less than half price at 78p/bottle. The Dark Ale in particular is really rather good.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ian

« Reply #98 on: 02 November, 2016, 08:02:36 pm »
Some Belgish IPA tripels in Brussels. I wasn't sure about the concept (what it says on the label, a hopped up tripel) but they were rather scrumptious. Then some St Bernardus Abt 12 because no Westy was to be found.

« Reply #99 on: 02 November, 2016, 08:47:03 pm »
Some Belgish IPA tripels in Brussels. I wasn't sure about the concept (what it says on the label, a hopped up tripel) but they were rather scrumptious. Then some St Bernardus Abt 12 because no Westy was to be found.

You probably know that St Bernardus brewed for St Sixtus ( westvleteren) for many years. Westveleteren is usually only available in small quantities from the Monastery ( or odd bottles from the cafe), but just now they are selling mail order for a very limited time to pay for some emergency roof repairs. You need very deep pockets though!