Author Topic: YACF as club in AUK membership  (Read 26063 times)

AndyH

YACF as club in AUK membership
« on: 14 June, 2010, 07:57:34 am »
I notice from looking at the result sheets from AUK events I have ridden that there are quite a few who list YACF as their club in their AUK membership.

Apart from being registered on the forum is there anything you need to do to make this "official" ?

Andy

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
Re: YACF as club in AUK membership
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2010, 08:17:19 am »
No - if you are here you are a member of "Club ACF"

Which reminds me - now that I'm a member of another club I  really ought to change my allegiance ;D
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2010, 08:44:24 am »
All you have to do is go to the members gateway log in and change your details to yacf.
Welcome to the club  ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2010, 08:46:53 am »
Changing clubs this late in the Audax year doesn't make a difference in the listings, AFAIK.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2010, 11:29:36 am »
Welcome to the club  ;D

Shall I prepare the instruments for the initiation ceremony?

I still can't look at crank handles without wincing   :demon:

red marley

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2010, 01:45:10 pm »
Note there is club ACF and club YACF. ACF is a legacy of a previous forum to which many members here once belonged.

There was a note in the latest Arrivee cautioning people wishing to enter PBP changing their club in 2011 during the qualification period since the ACP's automated registration might get confused. I don't know whether the 2010 'pre-qualification' rides also have to be in the same club as those for 2011 though. So it makes sense if you are planning on PBP to make the changes sooner rather than later.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2010, 06:15:13 pm »
I happen to know that both those 'clubs' - yacf and ACF - are mapped to the same club Id number in ACP's records (where they are listed under 'ACF') so from a PBP point of view it won't matter if or when you change from one to the other.

The clubs and PBP thing I would describe as 'important' but not 'crucial'.  It all arises because ACP in their own results listings (internal, not always published) sort the list by Club (Id number) first, and by surname 2nd.  So, when it comes to finding an individual in their results and aggregate lists (SR) it stops being straightforward if you have changed club mid-stream.  It wouldn't disqualify you, it might just introduce problems during the automated registration process that's all.  Just like getting married and changing your name might (naming no names, megajoules, you know who you are!).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2010, 05:36:06 pm »
cool, thanks, have just just this myself.

All you have to do is go to the members gateway log in and change your details to yacf.
Welcome to the club  ;D

red marley

« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2010, 11:33:20 pm »
Am I missing something here? No-one has suggested that joining any particular club is in any way inappropriate have they?

AndyH

« Reply #9 on: 23 June, 2010, 12:13:54 am »
Note (& Note Well)

May I commence by saying I am VC167 (through & through) and the following is a personal view.

There has been much discussion in the past about what is a *proper* club in AUK.

Are you sitting comfortably, let me begin.....................

Once upon a time the AUK points trophy always went to the Willesdon CC which pleased their chairman “Baron Hardup” AKA Rocco Richardson a lot.

Then a new kid on the block the VC167 (AKA Prince Charming) *robbed* them of the prize. The Baron was OK about this as he knew us well and knew the pain we had suffered to achieve our goal.

There are many debates about the rules and whether this club or that club is fair, however ultimately all that matters is the points trophy encourages people to ride events *and* then to ride more events *and* more *and* more events.

The YACF challenge this year is being led by Marcus Yeo. Again there are debates about whether a club prize should be based on the efforts of one person. However for the last year or 2 Peter Turnbull has taken the individual whilst the club point went to the 167.

Inevitably there will be hecklers who say YACF is not a club but I for one will *not* be one.

My guess is that at this point in the season Marcus cannot sleep in a bed as such but probably slopes off to his nearest bus shelter for a *proper* rest.

If his effort encourages others to add to the YACF points count in support then that’s great.

Long distance cycling is a really hard path to follow, there is no room for an us and them mentality. My best mate in AUK is currently John Price who refused to dump me last Saturday between Banburgh & Alnwick despite me puncturing twice in 10k. FWIW we last rode together in 2003.

The AUK Dinner is I am reliably informed in York again. If YACF win I for one will applaud loudly (obviously I’ll need a glass of YACF fizz the be sincere about it).

There really is no room for petty differences here.

Let the best men & of course women *win*

Today is the longest day and it's still all to play for.

AC

Noted & Noted well

I think your answer defines why I asked the question in the first place - can I just register on an internet forum (No disrespect to YACF intended) and then register that as my club ?

As a newcomer to audax I don't claim to understand the importance of awards (club or individual) within AUK. I am only just coming to terms with the fact that it is possible to ride the huge distances that some of you ladies & gents do.

However, the intention of listing YACF as my "club" was nothing to do with awards, but more to do with the camaraderie of the sport that we all enjoy.

I happen to live in a small north Dorset town, similar to lots of small towns throughout the country. There is a chain gang run on sunday mornings, all good people but I tend to get dropped after the first couple of hills. The participants are generally 20 years younger than me and either racers or tri-athletes. My nearest clubs are 15 - 20 miles away (Poole / Bournemouth), and my local CTC events tend to start at least 10 miles away.

Therefore I would say that I really have no local club.

My decision to join AUK (Oct 2009) was as a result of the desire to participate in Audax events. So far I have done 9.

On my first (Primrose Path) I followed some bloke on a mountain bike and his mate on a Mercian. I suffered trying to follow them but by not stopping at the controls too long I managed to finish not too far behind them. They had enjoyed significant cafe stops. I later discovered that one of these pair is called "Hummers" and the other is known as "Postie" and that I was in the prescence of greatness, insofar as true long distance cycling is concerned.

A couple of rides later I followed a rather fine tandem (The Things) on the Mad March in Exeter before falling off on an icy stretch.

On my first 200 I had a problem with my rear hub, (flange broke across two spoke holes). It was a hilly event and I was ready to pack. The bloke on the mercian (Hummers) said "it's better than mine, you should just carry on". I did, He was right, I finished.

My second 200 was ridden almost all the way with a YACFr who I met through this forum (LEE).

Therefore as far as I am concerned this is not only the nearest (geographically) I would get to a proper club, it is a proper club !

What do I need to do to get more points for it ?

Andy

simonp

« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2010, 12:43:39 am »

Andy

You'll need to go a bit mental.  The club points trophy is awarded based on the top 6 riders' total from a club.  So you need to get 25 points (as things stand now, and the points table is always out of date) to add 1 point to the total.

Good luck.  ;D

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 23 June, 2010, 12:47:54 am »
I'd say if you don't have a local club to belong to definitely go for YACF; they will probably be well up in the rankings in 2011. I was in ACF for 2007 because it was nice to see my points go somewhere (and to try to stay in the top 6 rather than the top err 2 of my own club), BTW why have the pre 2008 club points disappeared off the website results?  ???

You can just put AUK as a club, I believe; AUK won the club competition on the 2006 HBKH

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #12 on: 23 June, 2010, 01:14:07 am »

Andy

You'll need to go a bit mental.  The club points trophy is awarded based on the top 6 riders' total from a club.  So you need to get 25 points (as things stand now, and the points table is always out of date) to add 1 point to the total.

Good luck.  ;D

Yes it's way out of date, my points are nearly double that now.

« Reply #13 on: 23 June, 2010, 07:17:39 am »
Long distance cycling is a really hard path to follow

Then you need a better GPS  :)

I don't think this question has actually been answered yet. To have your points allocated to YACF, you need to log in to the members gateway of the AUK website and nominate your club on the form there.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #14 on: 23 June, 2010, 07:46:31 am »
Marcus is simply consolidating yACF's position.  Something the other Andy (tigger taxi?) did for VC167 or Pete Turnbull did for Willesden in previous years.

It's distorting, yes, but then what does one do? Take riders 2-6 only?  But what if the club has two big hitters (as, again, VC167 has in the past)?  Or only count riders who have had the same club affiliation for 2 previous years?  God knows how the latter would be implemented though!  Personally I think the current system, whilst imperfect, is easy to understand and has been in place for a wee while now.  So why gerrymander it?

PS: Marcus is certainly making a difference, but please don't belittle the efforts of those of us who also make an appearance in the yacf top 6 by seeming to imply it is only because of Marcus that yACF would win the club championship and so, somehow, yACF registered riders don't deserve the recognition for their collective efforts.

That said, it's not at all about winning that trophy.  A nice bonus, but not a raison d'etre.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #15 on: 23 June, 2010, 08:06:57 am »
That said, it's not at all about winning that trophy.  A nice bonus, but not a raison d'etre.

Hmm...

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #16 on: 23 June, 2010, 08:12:54 am »
Heh, "lamentation of their women".  Top link.

AndyH

« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2010, 08:27:45 am »

Andy

Good luck.  ;D

Ah......maybe next year !

« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2010, 12:57:41 pm »
.....................................it was nice to see my points go somewhere (and to try to stay in the top 6 rather than the top err 2 of my own club.............................
What's wrong with coming in the top two in your own club ? :o  I may even come top this year  8)

.......You can just put AUK as a club, I believe; AUK won the club competition on the 2006 HBKH ........
This is because (ISTBC) no matter who you list as your club, on foreign soil every AUK member is classified as AUK.
In a similar way that sports people may have a club they represent, but in international level it's the country that's considered.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #19 on: 23 June, 2010, 01:11:54 pm »
My club isn't yacf. But maybe it should be as I've done many more club rides with yacfers than I have with my 'real' club this year...

« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2010, 01:55:36 pm »
My club isn't yacf. But maybe it should be as I've done many more club rides with yacfers than I have with my 'real' club this year...

Yep, that's probably true for a lot of us, to quote Tom Jones - "It's not unusual".
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #21 on: 24 June, 2010, 09:49:32 am »
""FWIW last year you would have needed 100 points plus to be in the 167 top 6 (my 98 points just missed out on a medal, Cest la Vie).""

No idea about most AUK competitions - but does this mean that each of the scoring members of the top team get a medal?

Dont tell Boab - she will change allegiance next year and ride her socks off for a medal.
I think she is going to do  a French SR this year just for the nice shiny medals!!
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 24 June, 2010, 09:55:48 am »
and my local CTC events tend to start at least 10 miles away.

Oh, that's a shame.

(Is it even possible to ride 20 miles in a day?!?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #23 on: 24 June, 2010, 10:15:30 am »
.....................................it was nice to see my points go somewhere (and to try to stay in the top 6 rather than the top err 2 of my own club.............................
What's wrong with coming in the top two in your own club ? :o  I may even come top this year  8)

Ohhh, that reminds me - who's the secret ghost rider(s) for blacksheep CC?
The club total points appear to be considerably more then (in fact, twice) the sum of the individual riders.

simonp

« Reply #24 on: 24 June, 2010, 10:52:34 am »
and my local CTC events tend to start at least 10 miles away.

Oh, that's a shame.

(Is it even possible to ride 20 miles in a day?!?)

Hmm, for people new to this game adding 20 miles on might seem like quite a lot.  Particularly if they have a life and have other things to do.  I know that generally doesn't apply round here. :)