Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3023656 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
I am sitting waiting for the man* from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles to arrive with my weekly supply of said comestibles. I don’t feel,I can start any chores or tasks until he has been and morning coffee will is also on hold because due to an accounting error we have run out of biscuits.

* we might have had a women make our delivery on one occasion, but I wouldn’t commit on that memory.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

Woken up during the night by a strange buzzing. I thought for a moment that maybe it was my wife, making preparations for life after I'm disposed of via Stepford Husbands-style replacement*, but upon investigation turned out to be her possessed electric toothbrush which had sprung to life at 2.33 am and refused to stop. Straight outta Paranormal Experience 24. No amount of jabbing and poking the off switch had an effect and the battery is sealed within. Eventually, I had to take it downstairs and brutally murder it with a sharp implement. It took some killing. Seriously, it just wouldn't die.

Now the fragrant accusation YOU KILLED MY TOOTHBRUSH!!! lies upon the air. It made me do it.

*I never understood that, if I were going to make a robot lady to replace my actual wife, providing bedroom services would definitely be a product feature near the top of the list.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I am sitting waiting for the man...

$26 in your hand?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

$26 in your hand?
He's never early, he's always late... Yeah, it fits.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

$26 in your hand?

If he's wearing PR shoes and a big straw hat he may not actually be from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles at all.  Con-men wear all sorts of disguises.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

About a year ago I bought a fire blanket and wee fire extinguisher (600g powder type) for the kitchen. Finally retrieved them from my filing cabinet at work.

The blanket is on the wall already but the best place for the extinguisher is the same wall which has a radiator on it. Googling round says, as expected, keep away from sources of heat. How close is too close? Obviously I won't put it right on top of the radiator (couldn't if I wanted to, that's where the tea towel rail is) but is 60-70cm above it ok?

I don't want it there if that's no good but all the other spots are either out of sight or potentially awkward to get to depending on what has gone on fire.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's a cover-your-arse thing Shirley?  Being above a radiator isn't likely to actually damage it, whereas being able to get to it easily if there's a fire is likely to make an important difference.

Yeah I read that far too hot can possibly make them go pop but I figure a radiator is only hot ish. Just wanted a sanity check really.

Guy

• Retired
You came to YACF for a sanity check? :o
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Yeah I read that far too hot can possibly make them go pop but I figure a radiator is only hot ish. Just wanted a sanity check really.

Imagine, if you will, a property in Europe, where I'm lead to believe the ambient temperatures can reach 40C, and probably considerably more inside a motor vehicle, where it is commonplace to carry such extinguishers. I don't think your kitchen wil get close.

Don't chuck it on the bonfire (or, if you like bangs and living dangerously, do!)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Imagine, if you will, a property in Europe, where I'm lead to believe the ambient temperatures can reach 40C, and probably considerably more inside a motor vehicle, where it is commonplace to carry such extinguishers. I don't think your kitchen wil get close.

Don't chuck it on the bonfire (or, if you like bangs and living dangerously, do!)

That is a good point well made, right, toast first and then I'll get the drill out.

You came to YACF for a sanity check? :o

Also a good point well made.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
A visit to the local hospital this morning, and the newish multi-storey car park they built a couple of years back.

According to the rather grandiose plaque attached to the front of it, it glories under the name of the Lady Helen Wood Parking Centre.

Yes.
Parking Centre.

Cudzoziemiec

Yikes! I was just looking at a Polish news website and up popped up an advert for... an AK47 for 169.99 zloty (about £35)! Followed by a series of pistols at similar prices. Air guns (though it only actually said this for the pistols) but, well, a bit unexpected at least.

Cudzoziemiec

A visit to the local hospital this morning, and the newish multi-storey car park they built a couple of years back.

According to the rather grandiose plaque attached to the front of it, it glories under the name of the Lady Helen Wood Parking Centre.

Yes.
Parking Centre.
Welcome to the Lady Helen Wood Motor Vehicle Temporary Location Facility.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The world and its wife seem to be flying over my abode at 8,000 feet on the approach to LHR...

About a year ago I bought a fire blanket and wee fire extinguisher (600g powder type) for the kitchen. Finally retrieved them from my filing cabinet at work.

The blanket is on the wall already but the best place for the extinguisher is the same wall which has a radiator on it. Googling round says, as expected, keep away from sources of heat. How close is too close? Obviously I won't put it right on top of the radiator (couldn't if I wanted to, that's where the tea towel rail is) but is 60-70cm above it ok?

I don't want it there if that's no good but all the other spots are either out of sight or potentially awkward to get to depending on what has gone on fire.
Put the fire extinguisher out of the kitchen.

Picture a fire in your kitchen.
It is small, just started.
Smother it with the blanket. Leave the blanket on the fire until everything is cold.

Now picture a larger fire. Too big to smother with the blanket.
Kitchen is filling with smoke. You have to enter the kitchen to get at the extinguisher. You die of smoke inhalation.

Now, if the fire extinguisher was outside of the kitchen, you could get to it, squirt it in from the door (while calling fire brigade with other hand).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Yikes! I was just looking at a Polish news website and up popped up an advert for... an AK47 for 169.99 zloty (about £35)! Followed by a series of pistols at similar prices. Air guns (though it only actually said this for the pistols) but, well, a bit unexpected at least.

You should be careful whom you tell about your adverts. A lot of advertising is tailored to the viewer. Your secret is safe with us however.
Move Faster and Bake Things

About a year ago I bought a fire blanket and wee fire extinguisher (600g powder type) for the kitchen. *SNIP/*.

Slightly worried about what you'll be 'cooking' in your 'kitchen' to require a dry powder extinguisher!  :o

When I did extinguisher training during my time in industry, we were told that you can use a dry powder type on electrical fires, but if you let one off, there was a a compulsory 12hr overtime shift to clean it up...  ::-)

They're only in the labs I work in now because we have certain flammable metals that continue to burn in carbon dioxide.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

You should be careful whom you tell about your adverts. A lot of advertising is tailored to the viewer. Your secret is safe with us however.
In the early 90s, when the Red Army was withdrawing from Eastern Europe, you could buy all sorts of things by talking to the right people with a wad of cash. Or so it is alleged. Fishing with hand grenades for sure but I wasn't quite sure I believed the bloke who claimed he used to have an ICBM in his back yard.

About a year ago I bought a fire blanket and wee fire extinguisher (600g powder type) for the kitchen. *SNIP/*.

Slightly worried about what you'll be 'cooking' in your 'kitchen' to require a dry powder extinguisher!  :o

When I did extinguisher training during my time in industry, we were told that you can use a dry powder type on electrical fires, but if you let one off, there was a a compulsory 12hr overtime shift to clean it up...  ::-)

They're only in the labs I work in now because we have certain flammable metals that continue to burn in carbon dioxide.
Eh I don't deep fry anything so the blanket is for if an egg pan or something goes woosh and the extinguisher is more for if the oven, washing machine, tumble dryer or fridge decide to misbehave.

Put the fire extinguisher out of the kitchen.

Picture a fire in your kitchen.
It is small, just started.
Smother it with the blanket. Leave the blanket on the fire until everything is cold.

Now picture a larger fire. Too big to smother with the blanket.
Kitchen is filling with smoke. You have to enter the kitchen to get at the extinguisher. You die of smoke inhalation.

Now, if the fire extinguisher was outside of the kitchen, you could get to it, squirt it in from the door (while calling fire brigade with other hand).
Good point. Though if it's that big I'm probably just going to be hightailing it out the door pronto.

I did suggest the little strip of wall between the kitchen door and hall cupboard but that was frowned upon. I may revisit that idea.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Marina Hyde on La Paltrow:
turbocapitalist fanny egg pedlar Gwyneth Paltrow
;D
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/30/gwyneth-ark-wellness-goop-cruise-church
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.