Author Topic: Bread  (Read 5370 times)

rr

Re: Bread
« Reply #25 on: 03 July, 2008, 01:50:59 pm »
One of these the one with the raison dropper would be good in you plan to make exotic stuff. it also has a timer so you can run it overnight.

« Reply #26 on: 05 July, 2008, 08:50:57 am »
my breadmaker has broke  :'(

« Reply #27 on: 12 July, 2008, 03:36:13 pm »
Panasonic one is good

I have the Panasonic SD-255 and its ace  :thumbsup: Has different programs for loads of different types of bread/dough if you want, and the raisin dispenser thingy (which I havent used - If im using seeds I just lob them in at the start). The 'bucket' is very easy to clean. The mixer does leave a hole in the base of the bread, but generally it comes out easily unless you are making heavier breads like 100% spelt or rye.

We haven't bought normal bread since we got the machine, although it's a bit expensive I guess.

« Reply #28 on: 13 July, 2008, 08:49:03 pm »

Doing it manually is much more satisfying.

border-rider

« Reply #29 on: 13 July, 2008, 08:59:51 pm »

Maybe so, but it takes 90 seconds to set a loaf off in the machine.  If I had to do it by hand each time, I wouldn't.  So perhaps it's better to compare bread machine bread with bought bread.

« Reply #30 on: 14 July, 2008, 08:46:17 am »
Panasonic SD-255
£80 ..... 80 bloody pounds :o can't afford that :'(

« Reply #31 on: 14 July, 2008, 08:54:58 am »

Maybe so, but it takes 90 seconds to set a loaf off in the machine.  If I had to do it by hand each time, I wouldn't.  So perhaps it's better to compare bread machine bread with bought bread.

A while ago I got into the habit of making bread regularly. I'd make two loaves to last a week. Then I got out of the habit again. So now I only occasionally bake; mostly it's bought from one of three good bakers (I refuse to buy supermarket bread).

goatpebble

« Reply #32 on: 14 July, 2008, 07:15:55 pm »
If you like 100% wholemeal bread, then you might like to try the Grant loaf. Doris Grant took advantage of the idea that wholemeal flour does not need or benefit from kneeding and second rising that a strong white flour might want. In doing so she popularised an easy recipe that enabled thousands of wartime housewives to make quick, economical, and healthy bread.

Somewhere amongst more than forty boxes of books, I have a very technical little scientific bread making manual, which explains exactly why you should not treat wholemeal dough in the same way as conventional white dough. If you do, then you are more likely to have a loaf which is heavier than it should be, have an inferior texture, and will stale more quickly.

The same goes for using too much yeast, and accelerated proving times.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 14 July, 2008, 09:43:10 pm »
IIRC the Grant loaf was the recipe in the Cranks Cookbook, which I used.  Utterly reliable.  Great results every time.
Getting there...