Author Topic: South Bucks Winter Warmer  (Read 17979 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: South Bucks Winter Warmer
« Reply #75 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:51:28 pm »
Well done Lee for persevering. I certainly agree about GPS - I don't contemplate any events now without it. Partly this is because I've slung away all my lashed-up routesheet holders but mostly I can't be faffed with all the struggle to read them in the rain (I need reading specs) and unfolding and refolding. And also because the standard of routesheet writing is so variable - there seems to be a fashion with some people for cramming everything into the smallest possible space!

However, there's no substitute (apart from knowing the route from previous experience) for some preliminary homework - this was my first attempt at this ride and I wasted a good five minutes wandering about at Alston looking for the correct way across the river. The GPS showed me going off course whichever road I took and foxed me until I remembered having read the instructions at home when studying the terrain on Memory Map - one instance where routesheet readers would have had the advantage! Although to be fair, Ron's .gpx track was deadly accurate.

Were you riing with Peter Turnbull?   ;) ;) ;D

LEE

« Reply #76 on: 07 December, 2009, 03:30:54 pm »
The Thames pontoon/footbridge was quite a highlight.  The roar of the water through the sluices, illuminated only by my head-torch was quite scary. I'd assumed it was a 20 yard bridge or so but it went on for ages, I wasn't sure exactly how it was going to get us across at one point (as it seemed we were walking down the centre of the Thames).

One question, how were we supposed to get back on the main road?  Was there an exit I couldn't see? I ended up, with Lycra man, lifting our bikes over a badge-locked 5-bar gate.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #77 on: 07 December, 2009, 03:33:01 pm »
If you turn left after you get across, there's a narrow path between two houses.  Took me a while to spot...

Was definitely a spectacular way to cross, though.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #78 on: 07 December, 2009, 03:45:04 pm »
The Thames pontoon/footbridge was quite a highlight.  The roar of the water through the sluices, illuminated only by my head-torch was quite scary. I'd assumed it was a 20 yard bridge or so but it went on for ages, I wasn't sure exactly how it was going to get us across at one point (as it seemed we were walking down the centre of the Thames).

One question, how were we supposed to get back on the main road?  Was there an exit I couldn't see? I ended up, with Lycra man, lifting our bikes over a badge-locked 5-bar gate.
I really enjoyed the crossing of the river, once I'd found it - a bizarre sensation riding between the handrails, in the dark and with all the noise of the water! Like you, I arrived at the white metal gate and started to cast about for a way around it, but my companion, one James on a titanium Burls and who'd I'd met as fellow GPS user roaming about by the pub looking for the correct route, seized the moment and heaved his bike over the gate, which suddenly seemed the sensible option.

« Reply #79 on: 07 December, 2009, 03:51:07 pm »
Were you riing with Peter Turnbull?   ;) ;) ;D
No - I'm quite capable of getting thoroughly lost without any assistance! In fact as a measure of my ineptitude, I have to report that it was Peter who put me back on route on the Severn Across when I'd dozed off and dreamed past a turn without looking at the GPS!

Mind you, he still hadn't turned up yesterday evening by the time I drove away after my soup and cake - I said to his Dad I was surprised he'd not finished ages ago and he said he was probably lost somewhere!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #80 on: 07 December, 2009, 03:59:17 pm »
If you turn left after you get across, there's a narrow path between two houses.  Took me a while to spot...

What's the other event that features on? I'm sure I've been that way in daylight ... can't be the 7Across, cos that goes Henley-Marlow, which surely would stay on the NW side of the Thames.

???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #81 on: 07 December, 2009, 06:50:51 pm »
The Thames pontoon/footbridge was quite a highlight.  The roar of the water through the sluices, illuminated only by my head-torch was quite scary.

All I could see highlighted were the signs "Danger".

« Reply #82 on: 07 December, 2009, 08:56:47 pm »
[snip]
PS: If the tandem riders who loaned me the Park Tools tool set are on the forum, thanks again.  You've no idea how much easier that made repairing my tyre  :thumbsup:

No worries, glad they were useful.  :thumbsup:

We had an epic ride. While it was much less hilly than a grimpeur, a lot shorter than a 600, we had many less deflations than on the Anfractuous, and we didn't perform a detailed examination of the tarmac like we did on the Upper Thames, we still manged to be much, much slower than any other ride this year. I have a feeling that this ride is going on the list to do next year!

We made the distance 219km, and given we had next to no wrong turns (just a little confusion finding the weir) that's serious ride. That bonus 9km was a real challenge of determination, especially given the terrain involved!

Getting around the last third with barely-there brake blocks - on a tandem - was a good challenge. We must have eeked all of 300 km out of that set of swissstops (£20?). FNRTTC & SBWW were 2 wet rides! Resolution for next year: we're riding in Wales, it will be wet; we get a rear disc brake and carbide rims!

On the plus side, third outing on the Ribmos they're starting to prove their worth -- not the gripiest tyres (see comment above about Upper Thames) nor the smoothest riding, but no deflations since fitting even with all the rain & flint.
AND by the time the poor student arrives, the days are getting longer  ;D

California Dreaming

« Reply #83 on: 07 December, 2009, 09:30:51 pm »
...... We made the distance 219km ......
Yup, that's exactly what I made it, with a similar amount of faffing, so call it a true 218k. So I can comfort myself about how long it took by saying the extra distance was easily worth an hour! And 1,995m of total ascent, per Mr. Garmin, although not everyone's convinced by the accuracy of these things.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #84 on: 07 December, 2009, 09:38:42 pm »
220km on my Garmin.  This included 1-2km of unintentional touring.

Buy 210km and get 5% free.

Martin

« Reply #85 on: 07 December, 2009, 10:02:41 pm »
there is no flat way into or out of Haslemere, but Nutcombe Lane was cruel.  Riding fixed meant that some of the hills were just not doable without reverting to pied a terre.

you are presumably talking about Glen Lea; that's hard enough on a summer 100 (the Sussex Corker does it) let alone a winter 200. It's pretty easy to avoid though

Not if there is an info at the top and you don't know the answer....

take the turn before Nutcombe Lane and retrace via Hammer Lane to High Pitfold via the mess that is the new A3 roadworks; I had to find several ways around Glen Lea after they decided to send the road to Hammer Lane under the A3; I assume it's finished now.

LEE

« Reply #86 on: 07 December, 2009, 10:12:54 pm »
Interesting that several people made this a 219km ride.  My computer stopped working at 48km so I had no way of telling.  I just thought it was a 200km ride (until someone broke the bad news in Alton that it was a 210km)

I usually plan on around 11-12 hours for a 200km ride and, despite several time-wasting problems en-route, I couldn't figure out why this particular 200km ride took me quite so long.  I'm happy to use those extra 19km as an excuse as they were the hardest kilometres of the ride.

« Reply #87 on: 07 December, 2009, 10:20:21 pm »
A blog entry and just a few pictures: Clicky

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #88 on: 07 December, 2009, 11:01:58 pm »

We got caught out by this too. I was just about to give in and start hauling the Tandem over the gate when a lady drove up and opened it for us. She started giving some of the old "oh dear locked yourselves in, that'll be a fine then, ho ho!" but the Weary Audaxer Stare soon had her apologizing to us for the inconvenience!  ;) She was very helpful really.
(A similar Audaxer's Stare had a shopper abruptly veering his shopping trolley out of my way as I marched towards the Toilets in the second Sainsburys. Must learn to moderate it!)

Well done LEE making it through, sounds like you had a real adventure out there. Was glad you'd caught up the one time we did see you, wondered where you'd then got to when you didn't roll in with the others.

I definitly spent that last 20k wondering how I could ever consider doing a(nother) 300.

« Reply #89 on: 07 December, 2009, 11:55:42 pm »
I persuaded a friend to join me for this ride. It was his first audax and the longest ride he'd ever attempted. I think he quite liked it (he even thanked me as we cycled in the rain at the beginning) and I haven't heard him say 'never again' yet, just 'next time I'll get some decent lights'. We spent longer at the controls than I usually do which made for a more relaxing ride although we only finished 45 minutes inside the time  so I can see there is a limit to how relaxed you can be.

A friend from Aldershot also joined us from Haselmere to past Alton. He's only done sportives and commented on the nice sense of camaraderie on the ride - which was true, but then you don't get to spend much time in Sainsbury's cafes when you're chasing gold standard times.

The best memory from the ride for me was riding in a group of 8 from the last control until the final hills. Everyone riding across the weir together was a magical moment.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #90 on: 08 December, 2009, 12:30:50 pm »
A friend from Aldershot also joined us from Haselmere to past Alton. He's only done sportives and commented on the nice sense of camaraderie on the ride - which was true, but then you don't get to spend much time in Sainsbury's cafes when you're chasing gold standard times.

Ah, I think we met him at Haselmere. I sort  of tell he was from "another discipline"  :)
Abridged version:
Him: you riding the audax?
Us: yes.
Him: Great! <falls in beside us>. I am meeting up with a friend you see.
Us: Oh! <Glancing back through the closed road and thinking to ourselves: but your friend could be an hour or more either side of us!> er, Good luck!

Reminds me: Getting the tandem through the street market was 'interesting'  :)

« Reply #91 on: 08 December, 2009, 05:25:36 pm »

What's the other event that features on? I'm sure I've been that way in daylight ... can't be the 7Across, cos that goes Henley-Marlow, which surely would stay on the NW side of the Thames.

???
The 10 Thames Bridges 100k from Maidenhead goes the other way across the river.  Did it this year thought it was a great ride.