Author Topic: Thinking about an Airnimal Chameleon Performance Sport  (Read 16145 times)

Re: Thinking about an Airnimal Chameleon Performance Sport
« Reply #25 on: 09 February, 2014, 05:19:37 pm »
Crazy - interested how you find it to ride compered to a "normal" upright. I don't have an uptight in UK anymore used to have  a Condor Fratello, but that's now in Sweden where I spend a bit of time, would the Chameloen be the sort of bike you could happily ride all the time ?
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

Si

« Reply #26 on: 10 February, 2014, 11:27:55 am »
would the Chameloen be the sort of bike you could happily ride all the time ?

Yep, more or less.  I used mine for commuting - I found it OK to fold every night on the commuter train, for club runs where it would easily keep up with the normal CTC ride, on audaxes where the rear suspension made it very comfortable, and for general riding for fun.  It's never going to be as fast as some new carbon exotica race bike but it's at least as good as a lightish audax bike and I found it quite nippy.  Indeed, I won a small local hill climb event on it one year.   Load carrying - I didn't try proper touring with it but could carry a reasonable amount on the rear...never tried the front touring fork and LR. Also, I wouldn't use it off road (see below).

In the end I converted it to a road going SS and it made a really really nice bike like that....until the frame snapped in half.  This was a 2005(?) model (which replaced my previously broken 2001 models)  so I'd hope that they will have made it a bit stronger by now.

« Reply #27 on: 10 February, 2014, 02:13:58 pm »
Thanks that's really helpful. I spend most of my time in UK riding a recumbent trike, but fancied an upright for rides with mates who don't like the darkside ! Getting a bike that's easy to fly with as well seems a good idea.
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: 20 May, 2017, 01:58:49 pm »
Has anyone ridden both a chameleon and a joyey drop and can compare the two?

The Joey elite drop is:

- slight cheaper
- 11 speed same as the rest of my fleet for common spares
- a colour my wife likes

But not sure if the handling or rigidity is worse - so interested to know if anyone has ridden both.

I'll pack it along for the occasional business trip but always have oodles of spare free luggage capacity.