Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333561 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #1100 on: 08 November, 2017, 02:39:18 pm »
On account of an interweb full of recommendations, I've just finished series 1 of The Good Place.

It's a sitcom made by USAnians, which is never a good start, but it's amusing enough, the episodes are short and sweet, and there's enough of a story arc to make it worth coming back to, though not really in a six-seasons-and-a-movie way.

At risk of spoilers, they didn't quite do the Surface Detail ending (or, for that matter, the Scooby Doo ending), but did set things up for a second season in an acceptable way.  I'm not ruling out the possibility of the Pleasantville ending quite yet.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1101 on: 08 November, 2017, 03:45:22 pm »
We've got Motherland recorded to watch. Looks promising.

On the comedy front, I've also been enjoying Gameface, which is basically Roisin Conaty playing the same part she plays in Man Down but as the main character. I'm a big fan of her work. She's very funny. Also has Mrs Doyle as her mum.

Man Down is also back for a new series but I've not caught up with it yet.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1102 on: 08 November, 2017, 04:04:14 pm »
I rewatched the pilot of Motherland last week - great stuff. Very optimistic. (I only just found out that Sharon Horgan is on the writing team :)

Gameface is very good so far - which was nice, as I just cannot get Man Down.

But of course this is the best news of the week:

Forget all that nonsense above . . .  The Detectorists is back on tonight at 10pm BBC4. Episode 1 of the 3rd series.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1103 on: 09 November, 2017, 09:16:05 am »
Hurrah (Detectorists) and ditto (Motherland).

fuzzy

« Reply #1104 on: 09 November, 2017, 02:24:46 pm »
The Fight for Mosul the other night.

Eye opening and thought provoking.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1105 on: 09 November, 2017, 02:28:49 pm »
I just watched ‘The Secrets of Slim People’ on All4 (or one of those C4 I-player thingies). It was really interesting. The most interesting thing for me was the very quick point they made at the end about happiness.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #1106 on: 09 November, 2017, 03:09:50 pm »
The Fight for Mosul the other night.

Eye opening and thought provoking.

That was powerful television. I've never been a soldier, let alone a soldier in war, but I think I've learned a little bit more what it might be like after watching that. Interesting that it's been through the eyes of the members of an Iraqi elite forces squad.

citoyen

« Reply #1107 on: 09 November, 2017, 03:31:59 pm »
I rewatched the pilot of Motherland last week - great stuff. Very optimistic. (I only just found out that Sharon Horgan is on the writing team :)

Sharon Horgan, Graham Linehan, Helen Linehan and Holly Walsh, apparently.

Watched both the pilot and first episode last night. Laughed a lot. Diane Morgan is superb.

« Reply #1108 on: 10 November, 2017, 08:50:53 am »
And Anna Maxwell Martin does comedy.  Who knew?

hillbilly

« Reply #1109 on: 10 November, 2017, 09:19:51 am »
Detectorists is tonally different to most comedies at the moment, and is much the better for it.  It's with mixed feelings that this will be the last series.

(Gameface and Motherland are good, particularly the latter on strength of the first episode.  A decent batch of UK comedies at the moment, which when mixed with Arrested Development and Yes Minister on Netflix pretty much defines my mirth quota.  Despite watching the latest series, I honestly can't remember the last time I laughed out loud at Man Down).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1110 on: 10 November, 2017, 07:15:26 pm »
The stars/writers of Detectorists were on Front Row (R4, obvs) earlier this week. An interesting listen! Crook is an intriguing fellow and worth chatting to - it's sobering to think that without the much-loved undisputed* comedy classic "The Office", we probably wouldn't now have the Detectorists to enjoy.

Top Trivia - our heroes are actually doing real Detectoring during takes, with real Detectorers - & Crook has actually found a tiny piece of roman gold :)

*this probably is disputed - Ed
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1111 on: 11 November, 2017, 10:29:39 am »
I hope Toby was with him and said 'What have you got?' when he stopped to dig it up.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1112 on: 14 November, 2017, 08:59:14 am »
We've got Motherland recorded to watch. Looks promising.

On the comedy front, I've also been enjoying Gameface, which is basically Roisin Conaty playing the same part she plays in Man Down but as the main character. I'm a big fan of her work. She's very funny. Also has Mrs Doyle as her mum.

Man Down is also back for a new series but I've not caught up with it yet.

There was a 'pilot' of hers that played (last year? two year's ago?) which had her waking up, hair in disarray, make-up all over the place, next to a man she obviously couldn't recall from the night before, then making her way back home with only one shoe. Later she had to give a speech to her old school, which was hilarious. But the show never aired! A pity, and I now can't remember the name of it. It looked brilliant, and couldn't understand why there was never series from this.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

citoyen

« Reply #1113 on: 14 November, 2017, 09:20:41 am »
Watched ep1 of the new Howard's End adaptation last night. All a bit meh. The hair just isn't big enough. I re-read A Room With A View not so long ago and came to the conclusion that for any EM Forster adaptation to work it needs to include a young Helena Bonham Carter with massive hair. And it needs to have some backbone too, ie Judi Dench/Maggie Smith/Daniel Day Lewis/Anthony Hopkins/Vanessa Redgrave/Emma Thompson/Prunella Scales. I like Macfadyen but he's no Hopkins. Julia Ormond is pretty good though, probably the best thing in it.

Also: who thought it would be a good idea to basically give away the whole plot in the teaser for next week's episode?  :facepalm:

citoyen

« Reply #1114 on: 14 November, 2017, 09:23:55 am »
There was a 'pilot' of hers that played (last year? two year's ago?) which had her waking up, hair in disarray, make-up all over the place, next to a man she obviously couldn't recall from the night before, then making her way back home with only one shoe. Later she had to give a speech to her old school, which was hilarious. But the show never aired! A pity, and I now can't remember the name of it. It looked brilliant, and couldn't understand why there was never series from this.

That sounds very much like the pilot for Gameface, which was on telly in 2014, apparently.

Riggers

« Reply #1115 on: 14 November, 2017, 12:42:05 pm »
I think you might be right Citoyers, but, the Psychiatrist was played by the excellent Mike Wozniak, who's in 'Man Down', amongst other things. On the clip I've just seen advertising 'Gameface', they have the 'perpetually nervous' actor (Karl Theobald) from Green Wing, playing the part. Dunno why? Maybe Mike is contractually unavailable.

But . . . damn and blast, does this mean I've already missed the first episode!!?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1116 on: 14 November, 2017, 12:51:00 pm »
Jo Brand's doing a new series about cats and kittens which starts tonight.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1117 on: 14 November, 2017, 01:03:29 pm »
I think you might be right Citoyers, but, the Psychiatrist was played by the excellent Mike Wozniak, who's in 'Man Down', amongst other things. On the clip I've just seen advertising 'Gameface', they have the 'perpetually nervous' actor (Karl Theobald) from Green Wing, playing the part. Dunno why? Maybe Mike is contractually unavailable.

But . . . damn and blast, does this mean I've already missed the first episode!!?

BN: Yes. (in fact we might be on Ep3?? )
GN: Theobald is possibly the best thing in it (sorry mr Wozniak). And everyone in Green Wing should have a job for life :P

(GN-II: isn't all this shit on Catchpup these days? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Riggers

« Reply #1118 on: 14 November, 2017, 01:21:38 pm »

BN: Yes. (in fact we might be on Ep3?? )
GN: Theobald is possibly the best thing in it (sorry mr Wozniak). And everyone in Green Wing should have a job for life :P

(GN-II: isn't all this shit on Catchpup these days? )

Yep! And Mark Heap can do no wrong in my book!

citoyen

« Reply #1119 on: 14 November, 2017, 01:39:27 pm »

Wozniak would have been good as the psychiatrist but maybe too much overlap with Man Down? Karl Theobald is also excellent though.

I've seen the whole series. Don't know if it's all been broadcast yet but it's all available to download from All 4.

« Reply #1120 on: 15 November, 2017, 12:13:00 pm »
Speaking of recent comedy series. Did anyone love Fleabag as much as I did?

New series currently filming, though it won't be broadcast 'til 2019. Hopefully the impending apocalypse will hold off until afterwards.

« Reply #1121 on: 15 November, 2017, 12:33:29 pm »
Since the man himself subscribes to the belief that there should be no such thing as a guilty pleasure, I'll come right out and say that I'm very much enjoying the new series of Dave Gorman's Modern Life Is Goodish on Dave.

hillbilly

« Reply #1122 on: 15 November, 2017, 12:51:37 pm »
Speaking of recent comedy series. Did anyone love Fleabag as much as I did?

New series currently filming, though it won't be broadcast 'til 2019. Hopefully the impending apocalypse will hold off until afterwards.

You are not alone.  One of the best things on TV last year.

I think it's been picked up be Amazon, so it may be more difficult to catch the new series without a Prime subscription.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1123 on: 15 November, 2017, 01:01:44 pm »
Since the man himself subscribes to the belief that there should be no such thing as a guilty pleasure, I'll come right out and say that I'm very much enjoying the new series of Dave Gorman's Modern Life Is Goodish on Dave.
Me too. The found poem he did the other week which included references to Take That had me in tears of laughter.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1124 on: 15 November, 2017, 03:36:10 pm »
You are not alone.  One of the best things on TV last year.

I think it's been picked up be Amazon, so it may be more difficult to catch the new series without a Prime subscription.

Hopefully it'll be one of those co-production type arrangements and Auntie Beeb will still have broadcast rights.

"You know that thing when a guy sends you a text at two o'clock on a Tuesday night asking if he can come and find you and you've accidentally made it out like you've just got in yourself so you have to get out of bed, drink half a bottle of wine, get in the shower, shave everything, dig out some Agent Provocateur business, suspender belt the whole bit and wait by the door til the buzzer goes?"

BEST OPENING LINE EVERRRR.