Author Topic: TT Position on Bike  (Read 3460 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
TT Position on Bike
« on: 12 December, 2009, 09:39:59 pm »
I'm mostly an audaxer but I did a few 10s and a 50 this year and enjoyed them, so next year I fancy doing a few more, with the 24 as my training target.

I've bought a TT bike. I've not ridden it yet, but I'm trying to mimic the TT bike's geometry on my turbo-trainer bike. Trouble is, I've got no idea what the ideal TT position is meant to be, or how you tell when you're in it. At the moment I've got the saddle pretty far forward and the bars as low as I can get them (on the turbo bike, could go lower on the TT bike). When I'm pedalling my knees come up just behind and below my elbows.

Should I just be going as low as I can go, or does anyone have any tips for TT bike setups?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Re: TT Position on Bike
« Reply #1 on: 12 December, 2009, 11:06:52 pm »
I'd suggest you should start by reading this article. It's slightly triathlon oriented, but does a good job of explaining how to approach bike fit, and what you should be thinking about.

« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2009, 04:23:16 pm »
It's about getting as aerodynamically low as you can without being in so much agony that you can't pedal.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2009, 04:37:01 pm »
It's about getting as aerodynamically low as you can without being in so much agony that you can't pedal.
Having been passed more times that I care to admit on this year's 24 by the previous respondent :-[, I'd have to bow to his superior knowledge.

Like you, valkyrie, I have the 24 in mind this year as well. My guess is that a TT position that's sustainable for a 10 or a 25 would give me a great deal of grief over 24 hours. Would it be sensible to work towards a less "extreme" position for the really long event?  :-\
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2009, 04:53:10 pm »
Like you, valkyrie, I have the 24 in mind this year as well. My guess is that a TT position that's sustainable for a 10 or a 25 would give me a great deal of grief over 24 hours. Would it be sensible to work towards a less "extreme" position for the really long event?  :-\
Absolutely. (there are some other threads about this )

Most of the big miles 24h riders used pretty 'conventional' bikes. You might want to avoid 2 things seen at the 24:
- riders sitting up with 8 hours to go, unable to maintain their low-pro position
- riders discovering at 9pm that their lights won't fit on their low-pro bike!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 13 December, 2009, 04:59:02 pm »
I'd suggest you should start by reading this article.

That is an absolutely excellent article, applicable to bike fit generally.
Bookmarked.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

gonzo

« Reply #6 on: 14 December, 2009, 08:59:26 pm »
Anything over 100 miles is a different beast to a 10 or 25. NB. the short distance TTs will help increase your speed though.

Basically, aerodynamics is about your frontal area. Reduce this and you'll go faster. Go too aero and your back and neck will die on a longer event!

« Reply #7 on: 14 December, 2009, 11:32:14 pm »
Hmm,
the basic idea would be to race in a position that you are used to, and capable of making good power in. After that you can go chasing aerodynamic excellence. I think that's the correct order to consider these things in......
Scherrit.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 15 December, 2009, 09:10:06 am »
525 miles

Andy Wilkinson

Lynne Taylor

teethgrinder

Bridget Boon
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

gonzo

« Reply #9 on: 16 December, 2009, 05:25:28 pm »
the basic idea would be to race in a position that you are used to, and capable of making good power in. After that you can go chasing aerodynamic excellence.

The figure that determines who wins is W/m^2. You want lots of watts and not many m^2!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2010, 01:37:18 pm »
Absolutely. (there are some other threads about this )

Most of the big miles 24h riders used pretty 'conventional' bikes. You might want to avoid 2 things seen at the 24:
- riders sitting up with 8 hours to go, unable to maintain their low-pro position
- riders discovering at 9pm that their lights won't fit on their low-pro bike!

Do you have to finsih on the same bike you started on?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2010, 02:46:19 pm »
Nope. ( i have no idea if this rule is unique to the 24 - I suspect not, as on shorter rides you'd lose too much time in the changeover).

It's quite common to have a night bike, I believe.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #12 on: 31 May, 2010, 11:15:29 pm »
In the several months that have elapsed since I started this thread I've ridden the bike twice :-[. First time out was an open 25 that I really didn't enjoy, felt slow and uncomfortable - the reach to the tribars felt too long. After that event I shortened the reach by about 1cm and dropped the height of the bars by 5mm. Then I put the bike back in the garage without riding it. Tonight I rode the club 10 circuit to try and get used to the bike. The reach to the bars felt a lot better, but with that 5mm drop I found it really hard to see where I was going! Front of my helmet obscures my vision unless I really bend my neck back. Sitting here a few hours after getting off the bike the muscles in the back of my neck are still really sore. Any suggestions on what I do next? Options that come to mind are -

1. Get a new helmet for improved forward vision (if I could find one that is)
2. Raise the bars back up and accept a less aero position
3. Do some exercises to strengthen my neck (any ideas)
4. Quit bitching and tough it out. I suppose if I keep riding it I'll get used to it.

Option 4 would be my normal approach and although I'm confident I can keep on doing 10s in this position I prefer longer rides and I'm worried that my neck muscles will fail. It has happened to me before.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 31 May, 2010, 11:18:36 pm »
Chancing my arm here .... but you don't specify if your local 'regime' mandate helmets.

[I know I need my cap at an even jauntier angle with the new lower front end!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------