Author Topic: cheapest proper road bike for a trainer  (Read 2800 times)

cheapest proper road bike for a trainer
« on: 22 June, 2012, 10:45:03 pm »
HI,
what would be the best value road bike to put on a turbo? currently using a mountain bike but am running out of gears..

Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

Re: cheapest proper road bike for a trainer
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2012, 10:54:54 pm »
want to put tri bars on it and they won't fit on the bars
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2012, 10:56:02 pm »
are you going to use the bike on the road at all?
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2012, 10:59:54 pm »
highly unlikely
Cheers
Rich

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2012, 11:15:08 pm »
When I bought an entry-level road bike a couple of years ago, I ended up choosing a Cube.
Their entry-level bike is the 'Peloton', in the £800 range.

I'm still using it today, as a commuting bike and as a ( slightly inappropriate ) audax bike.

Has the added value of being the cheapest bike on any audax I've done!
( At least it won't get nicked outside the Buy'N'Save commercial control... )

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2012, 11:36:41 pm »
Check out Ribble Cycles

« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2012, 04:12:44 pm »
The Carrera Virtuoso (old model if you can get one) from Halfords should fit the bill - more than adequate for turboing, bearing in mind it's going to get drenched in sweat - can also use it as a hack for winter too. I picked a 2010 one up in the local paper for £100, had hardly been used. There's plenty of them about. Just changed the saddle to my liking & it's been spot on on the turbo. Have also had the odd foray down the shops on it.

« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2012, 08:39:35 am »
Turbo bikes get destroyed (sweat, stresses etc) so anything that gives you your correct position will do.

If you're running out of gears a new turbo with variable resistance will be cheaper than a new bike, and have the same effect.

« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2012, 12:41:42 pm »
If I was looking for a turbo bike I'd probably set up an automated search on eBay for all road bikes in the size you want within a reasonable radius of where you live (few eBayers will post bikes, esp. second hand entry level road bikes).

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2012, 10:45:25 am »
^^

Absolutely - any old thing of moderate quality will do. Something with a 6 or 7 speed block and 42/52 double, best if 700c wheels but even that is optional as shitty old tyres are easily available for turbo use. You really should not be spending more than maybe £50-75
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2012, 01:27:02 pm »
I use my (at the moment) unroadworthy Fixie, but otherwise just get something that fits s/h from ebay, lbs and mod to suit, weight, brakes etc don't matter so you should find plenty heaps out there.
If you want New, then Decathlon Triban road bike for £300 (very decent) or maybe a Viking is about as cheap as you'll get.