Author Topic: London - Paris BHF ride, 2/9/17 - 4/9/17  (Read 9656 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
London - Paris BHF ride, 2/9/17 - 4/9/17
« on: 19 April, 2017, 10:16:37 am »
Does anyone feel like a shot at this ride this year? I have had it on my "vaguely want to do" list for quite a while and this year it falls very close to the first anniversary of the death of our own Pancho, who, not long before he died, "self-diagnosed with a dodgy ticker". It somehow seems like an appropriate thing to do.

It's £150 for the unsupported ride, £300 for the supported one. I understand that the extra £150 includes the cost of accommodation.*

https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/bike-rides/london-to-paris-on-road-bike-ride?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-paid&utm_campaign=london_paris_ride_2017~F10073&utm_term&utm_content

*No it doesn't. A return call from the BHF's Lucy actually informed me that you still have to find your own accommodation. The £150 is for broom wagon services and getting you and your bike back from Paris.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: London - Paris BHF ride, 2/9/17 - 4/9/17
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2017, 11:03:32 am »
..... don't forget the expectation to raise at least £1,000 in sponsorship/donations for BHF - it's not just a "pay to ride" jaunt.

Being a bit of veteran in terms of organising charity cycle events the "DIY" basis is interesting, although I can envisage a mad scramble for accommodation along the route??

Rob

Re: London - Paris BHF ride, 2/9/17 - 4/9/17
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2017, 05:19:08 pm »
I presume that the route is along the fairly standard Donald Hirsch route. I did this last year unsupported and it was great fun. The only part I didn't like was the London to Brighton part that's not really on his route, but that was probably more down to my lack of preparation for that part of the route.

There's plenty of advice on his site about accommodation and it's mostly very high quality and reasonably priced. I can dig out where I stayed if you want.

I'd love to do it again, but would have to question the value of the £300 + £1,000. If I wanted to raise money I'd be tempted to do the route on my own but raise charity money as well.