Author Topic: Cheap basic new or secondhand camera for vlogging  (Read 4785 times)

Cheap basic new or secondhand camera for vlogging
« on: 10 May, 2017, 08:37:22 pm »
Looking for recommendations please.   Nothing expensive as this is just an experiment.   If vlogging will become commonplace newer, better kit will be acquired.

I was hoping to use my dslr but it doesn't have movie mode unfortunately.

All the camera needs is to be able to tripod mount and run at 1080 mode.

Ta.   

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Cheap basic new or secondhand camera for vlogging
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2017, 09:23:26 pm »
Panasonic G7 - second hand if necessary. Seems to be the standard for low cost Vlogging

Panasonics have good reputation for quality video.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2017, 11:06:59 pm »
+1 for a Panasonic.
If you don't need 4K, something like a Lumix G5 or G6 would be fine, if you can find one cheap. Though they don't have a socket for microphone input (the G7 does).
The swivel screen is handy for video, especially if filming yourself.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2017, 05:43:21 am »
Kind of depends on your definition of cheap.

Boy Winja got some surprisingly good results with one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Multi-function-Waterproof-Camcorder-wide-angle/dp/B014CJVUSK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494477353&sr=8-3&keywords=sjcam
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2017, 06:51:13 am »
Yup.  That's cheap.   

My son had a go pro but sold it on only days ago.  That would have been suitable.   :facepalm:

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2017, 07:46:23 am »
A GoPro is a very wide angle lens. Which is good for some things (ie attached to a bike or helmet), but it can just make things look weird and distorted.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2017, 11:30:20 am »
+1 for a Panasonic.
If you don't need 4K, something like a Lumix G5 or G6 would be fine, if you can find one cheap. Though they don't have a socket for microphone input (the G7 does).

For indoor Vlogging you can just about get away without an external Mic input but you really need an external Mic with "dead cat" baffle for outdoors (the little stick on ones for internal Mics aren't very good).
I have a cheap RØDE VideoMic GO and it's excellent.

The flip-up screen would be on my "essential" list.  Without that it's difficult to see if you are framed well and whether the camera focus is tracking your face or the book-shelf behind you.

The rule you should remember about film is that people will tolerate poor video if the audio is good but they really won't put up with poor audio.

As mentioned above Action-Cams give a horribly distorted view when used close up/portrait.  I'd look for a minimum 50mm equivalent if I was looking for a "news reader" look or possibly 35mm for arms-length "roving reporter" style.   

What style were you thinking of?

Some of my favourite Vloggers now use Chromakey (Green-screen) backgrounds to overlay amazing backgrounds on their video.  I suppose it transforms dull little home offices into Manhattan sky-lines.  It looks amazing ......but a step too far for most.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2017, 12:47:37 pm »
+1 for a Panasonic.

Don't know about the G5, but G6 does have a mic input.

« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2020, 10:27:13 am »
Thread resurrection.

I find that I could easily use my smartphone for desk-based content but I am also needing something portable.  I have acquired a DJI Osmo Mobile 3 gimbal which is very good except for content such as running.   The two answers for this seem to be to take a "camera operator" with me which is not always possible, or to get an action camera.

Content at 1k will suffice. 

Current experiences appreciated.