Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338875 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2175 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:48:36 am »
Down catching tiles east of Girvan , trying to link up old Audax rides in Ayrshire and D & G. Another 170 tiles bagged on the wrong bike, need to look at bike packing rigs as my carbon wheels may not do so well on the next trip. Found a good community cafe at Kirkmichael.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2176 on: 13 July, 2021, 10:51:05 pm »
Sometimes, even at low tide, you have to get your feet wet...

Another tile bagged by citoyen, on Flickr

Paddling by citoyen, on Flickr

(the water was actually a lot more pleasant than it looks in the pic)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2177 on: 14 July, 2021, 02:54:19 pm »
Excellent work @citoyen - welcome to the club.  Inner Forth water is as bad as it looks :-)

« Reply #2178 on: 14 July, 2021, 10:28:16 pm »
I indulged in some post work square bagging, and now need a calamine bath. One of the problems of being short is that nettles and thistles grow to my elbow height.
Green lanes in midsummer are gorgeous but I'm really looking forward to some road rides. I can only take so many cleg bites and nettle stings at once.

« Reply #2179 on: 19 July, 2021, 08:41:26 am »
I managed to pick up 1 tile between Wooled and Belford on yesterdays "Seashoses and Back" Audax, taking my total to 10555
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2180 on: 19 July, 2021, 09:09:56 am »
I got about 140  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2181 on: 19 July, 2021, 09:18:20 am »
I went out on Saturday and grabbed a handfull of tiles in Leicestershire including the one just north of Thrussington which has been eluding me for a while (JonBuoy knows the one).  It's not an especially difficult tile to get, there's a lovely lane running through the middle of it, it's just that the A46 fast dual carriageway at one end of the lane essentially makes it a dead end on a bike and I'm not a fan of 'stubs' just to bag tiles.   
It's only now that the tile is at the edge of my max square that I've bothered to go and get it.  While I was out that way I also got 9 other tiles around North Leicestershire.

Cluster is now up by 33 to 3894 and max square up by 1 to 53x53

Before

After

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #2182 on: 19 July, 2021, 05:51:19 pm »
  It's not an especially difficult tile to get, there's a lovely lane running through the middle of it, it's just that the A46 fast dual carriageway at one end of the lane essentially makes it a dead end on a bike and I'm not a fan of 'stubs' just to bag tiles. 
Not a fan of stubs either because I hate backtracking on myself. I regard them as a necessary evil when tiling though, the only option at times too around these parts. Some save riding much longer extra loops that would also then mean repeating even longer sections on a ride.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2183 on: 19 July, 2021, 06:41:55 pm »
Down at Crawford. Farm, forestry and wind farm tracks,tough going 46 tiles for 125kms and 2750m of climbing. Fitted new tyres to suit the dry conditions, Vittoria Barzo and Mezcal worked well on the loose gravel corners and climbs.

« Reply #2184 on: 20 July, 2021, 02:05:25 pm »
Displacement activity when 'revising' - searching through emails for archaeologic evidence of GPS tracks from 2011.
I had a GPS logger for the early days of DIY by GPS.

The East Anglian end has fewer holes in it now.

citoyen

« Reply #2185 on: 20 July, 2021, 04:28:56 pm »
Back in the office today. Took an early train for the cheaper ticket, and used the bonus cycling time to take a circuitous 35km route from Bromley to Hyde Park via Wimbledon and pick off 9 tiles, neatly filling a SW London hole and increasing my max cluster by 28. Still arrived at the office before anyone else. Should have taken a longer route. Satisfying, none the less.

Planning to divert northwards later, taking the long way round to Kings Cross for the train home, via Kilburn and Hampstead Heath - that'll be good for another 10 tiles.

I've got two more office days this week as well... need to plan some more routes to make the most of it... Almost feels like the trek up to London is worthwhile.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2186 on: 21 July, 2021, 12:09:36 am »
I've got two more office days this week as well... need to plan some more routes to make the most of it... Almost feels like the trek up to London is worthwhile.  :thumbsup:
Almost.  ;D :D
The Tile Collector

citoyen

« Reply #2187 on: 21 July, 2021, 08:15:55 am »
Almost.  ;D :D

These sacrifices have to be made for the sake of tilebagging.

Got sidetracked by drinks with the boss after work yesterday, so no more tiles, but like I said, two more office days this week… I’ll just have to make up for missing out yesterday!

« Reply #2188 on: 21 July, 2021, 12:11:10 pm »
That's the spririt.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2189 on: 21 July, 2021, 11:31:05 pm »
Moffat to Eskdalemuir via the Garrowgill route for a few more tiles. Its the new high level route.

citoyen

« Reply #2190 on: 22 July, 2021, 04:56:28 am »
Its the new high level route.

Looks fantastic.

« Reply #2191 on: 22 July, 2021, 08:48:08 am »
Its the new high level route.

I haven't heard of that one.  Is it the same as the Romans and Reivers Route?
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2192 on: 22 July, 2021, 09:06:38 am »
It's the new section of the Southern Upland Way, much better than plodding through the forest break. The Forestry Commission have destroyed lots of paths and tracks linking up the old sheep farmsteads.  Sections of the old Edinburgh Road have been planted on.

« Reply #2193 on: 23 July, 2021, 11:56:06 am »
Cycled to and around Denmark during the past few works. Of course that did nothing for my square or cluster but my total amount of tiles increased to 37229 so I moved up to 6th spot in the total amount of tiles ranking. Next rider is nearly 1000 tiles ahead so it'll take some time to catch him.

citoyen

« Reply #2194 on: 24 July, 2021, 01:06:51 pm »
two more office days this week… I’ll just have to make up for missing out yesterday!

Well, I think I have good reason to be happy with how this week turned out in the end. Racked up almost 300km of commuting over my three days.
Total tiles up from 7265 to 7322
Max cluster up from 1176 to 1279

The London end of my cluster has gone from this:

old cluster by citoyen, on Flickr

To this:

new cluster by citoyen, on Flickr

What's particularly satisfying is filling in the holes in the hinterlands of southeast London - places like Woolwich, Abbey Wood, Thamesmead and Belvedere (and having now ticked them off, I really don't think I'll be going back). For my post-work ride home last night, I took the Thames Path all the way from Greenwich to Gravesend, which was very interesting. The landscape is a bit bleak, but the path itself is mostly pretty good - good surface, and wide. It was just the section around Crayford where I started to think maybe a road bike was not the best option - narrow, overgrown trail with a rough gravelly surface (so actually pretty good by Sustrans standards). Also took a small diversion off the main road at Northfleet, into an industrial estate - just far enough to get the necessary tile (it's a dead end, so no through option). This means I now have all the tiles along the Kent side of the river from central London as far as Gravesend.

Last night's ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/5675392950

Now to start filling in some gaps on the Hoo peninsula* and the last few tiles on Sheppey, then I'll have the whole coast around as far as New Romney. Obviously a bit of a hole in West Kent to be filled in too - I found a KML of Kent which will help me make sure my tile bagging rides are strategically focused for maximum gains...

kent tiles by citoyen, on Flickr

*Technically, Hoo is not in Kent, so I could conveniently overlook that in my quest to fill in the whole of Kent, but that's not really in the spirit, is it?

« Reply #2195 on: 25 July, 2021, 06:32:37 pm »
26 new tiles on yesterdays DIY 400 to Kendal
@CorbieLinnRider

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2196 on: 25 July, 2021, 09:49:33 pm »

A friend is visiting, and has a van with them, so we put the bikes in the van and drove to the Utrecht Heuvelrug. She wanted a ride in .NL, I wanted to hunt tiles. She agreed to humour my addiction. Bagged three round Maartensdijk, including the solar cycle path, plus some around Bilthoven and one I've been struggling with near Amersfort. Now at:

11190 tiles
Max square 27x27
Max Cluster: 1766

That tile in the Gooimeer is bugging me. Gonna get a bus over there one day, and swim out and back again. Want to do it early in the morning before the boat traffic picks up.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2197 on: 26 July, 2021, 12:59:59 am »
Picked up a couple of tiles on Saturdays hastily planned DIY, discovered I'd lost one on Falkland Estate due to having previously skiffed the corner due to data points.

Might go and reclaim it in the mtb tomorroe, might not...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2198 on: 27 July, 2021, 08:49:14 am »
Spent yesterday dodging sand and gravel in East Angular. Every fecking junction was a beach, and every descent had a crunchy corner at the bottom.
99 new tiles, cluster up almost 200.
Still an awful lot easier at this end than the trackless high moors at the northern end.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2199 on: 27 July, 2021, 12:38:22 pm »
Spent yesterday dodging sand and gravel in East Angular. Every fecking junction was a beach

This reminds me to rant about some badly-timed chipseal one one of my local routes.  They managed to put it down at the start of the heatwave, with - as they say - hilarious consequences.  Some genius then decided that the best way to improve the adhesion problem was to convert random corners into Sands Of Doom.   :hand: