Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 62339 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #250 on: 29 May, 2022, 07:57:04 pm »
Did you nearly collect the rear left wheel of the guy in front of you?

Once you commit to a corner on a trike, any sort of braking is virtually impossible. I weigh more than Geoff, so tend to carry more speed. He slowed slightly in the corner (rolling resistance or wind resistance, who knows?) and my only option was to corner a shade tighter and slide up his inside.

Trikies are very familiar with riding at close quarters. They frequently draft by gently nudging the front tyre against the rear axle of the trike in front. I used to race on the velodrome quite a bit last century, so I am quite comfortable bumping shoulders or overlapping wheels with trustworthy riders. Newbies and squirrelly folk get given a wide berth but that is boring if applied to everybody.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #251 on: 29 May, 2022, 08:01:55 pm »
David L'Hostis is indeed French.  He's rider no 18, and usually somewhere near the top of the Unfaired championship.

Thanks, Kim.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #252 on: 29 May, 2022, 08:05:41 pm »
I am third in line in that shot. From the inside, it felt a little more edgy than just some blokes drifting gently round a bend.
I ever said “gently”!  I thought drifting was better than skidding, but a controlled skid would have described it too.  Whichever, far too edge for my liking, but then that’s the starting position with upright trikes.

I think of drifting (like a car) requiring power while cornering. That isn't really possible with an upright trike cornering enthusiastically, so ‘drifting gently through’ was the fallback thought.

As mentioned above, it is almost impossible to slide a trike on good tarmac but it is pretty easy to lift the inside wheel. Unless you instantly react to skying a wheel, it isn’t much of a step to inverted trike flying.

I have managed to get my trike skittering through a fast downhill corner but that was mostly because of a rough surface and patchy gravel. It all turned out fine in the end, happily. Panicking is never a good idea when you are cornering close to the limit.

The small wheel trikes have higher rolling resistance than the big ones but possibly less wind resistance. I noticed that the lack of a top tube allowed small wheel trikies to lean out further and lower than I could. In the hairpin, I was basically cornering as hard as I could with little margin to turn tighter. The inside wheel gently lifted a few times, which is fun.

« Reply #253 on: 29 May, 2022, 08:34:16 pm »
It is easy to get the front wheel skittering across the road on a broken surface, I used to do it every day on a particular commuting route.  With your weight off the the side and back, the front is travelling a bit light.  Not good for the head tube joints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cornering - I tend to get lower rather than further out.  On the Trykit I have a 750mm axle and a sloping top tube which allows me to get my hips down inside the wheel, you can see this in the video of the second race and start/finish bend.  It is not long after you go through, so you can compare styles easily.  On my Longstaff I have the usual 700mm axle and flat top tube which means I cannot get inside the wheel, so on that I tend to hang out further and sit on the wheel more to compensate.  Riding my small wheeler I miss having a top tube to hook the knee over, but I have only ridden it on the road, so not with bends like at Stourport.  My next outing is likely to be Bath.  Which machine will I use, or will I use the Higgins?  Probably not the Higgins because it is 66 years old so should be treated gently(ish).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #254 on: 29 May, 2022, 09:01:25 pm »
Actual drifting is achievable on a tadpole recumbent with a lightly loaded rear wheel, but it's only likely to happen if the traction is worse than you'd get on normal wet tarmac.  (I'm wondering about those mossy corners at Preston, which I make a point of avoiding on two wheels...)  The pedal cars tend to be prone to this sort of thing too, as they usually drive both rear wheels without the benefit of a differential, which means something's got to slip.  Usually it's just the tyres that suffer.

Skittering front wheels on upright trikes sound terrifying!

« Reply #255 on: 29 May, 2022, 09:32:10 pm »
David L'Hostis is indeed French.  He's rider no 18, and usually somewhere near the top of the Unfaired championship.
His video suggests speeds of 25mph and over - which is definitely unfair.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #256 on: 29 May, 2022, 09:47:05 pm »
That is why he is in the fast races while the upright trikes are in the slow races, which might be won with something somewhat above 20mph.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #257 on: 29 May, 2022, 10:10:09 pm »
I used to race on the velodrome quite a bit last century, so I am quite comfortable bumping shoulders or overlapping wheels with trustworthy riders.

Oh I realise.  No offence intended!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #258 on: 29 May, 2022, 10:21:48 pm »
None taken.

Some people have a large personal space requirement on the bike. Some of us, smaller. As long as the first group let the second know their preference without panicking, it is easy to accommodate.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #259 on: 29 May, 2022, 10:48:55 pm »
His video suggests speeds of 25mph and over - which is definitely unfair.

That is why he is in the fast races while the upright trikes are in the slow races, which might be won with something somewhat above 20mph.

Indeed.  We try to minimise the speed and/or experience differential for safety reasons.  Though it's not an exact science (see above).

Typically the top of the fast race is in the 30mph+ range, with the top of the slow race somewhere around 20mph.  The bottom end of the slow race can often be in single digits.  Stourport is not a fast track, as there's a bit of a climb, and the faired machines never get to make proper use of their aerodynamic advantages.

Average lap speeds can be seen in the timing results:

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/events/events22/02stourport/index.html

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #260 on: 30 May, 2022, 01:06:53 am »
Actual drifting is achievable on a tadpole recumbent with a lightly loaded rear wheel, but it's only likely to happen if the traction is worse than you'd get on normal wet tarmac.  (I'm wondering about those mossy corners at Preston, which I make a point of avoiding on two wheels...)  The pedal cars tend to be prone to this sort of thing too, as they usually drive both rear wheels without the benefit of a differential, which means something's got to slip.  Usually it's just the tyres that suffer.

I remember a very wet day at Kimbolton when Glenn Thompson actually managed to spin an unfaired Windcheetah ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #261 on: 30 May, 2022, 06:57:59 am »
The pedal cars tend to be prone to this sort of thing too, as they usually drive both rear wheels without the benefit of a differential, which means something's got to slip.  Usually it's just the tyres that suffer.
Upright tricycle drive systems in use at Stourport were of 3 types - single wheel drive (left side), differential, and double freewheel (we call it two wheel drive).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #262 on: 30 May, 2022, 08:03:00 am »
The third is the best. The Quattrovelo uses the double freewheel system developed for upright trikes and those QV parts are all manufactured by Geoff, who is in the race.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #263 on: 30 May, 2022, 09:00:15 am »

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/events/events22/02stourport/index.html
Good graphic! And clearly demonstrates huge range of speeds.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #264 on: 30 May, 2022, 11:32:13 am »
Typically the top of the fast race is in the 30mph+ range
The sort of speeds that are barely sensible on a turbo trainer - even if I could manage that on the road, I think I'd be too scared to go that fast.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #265 on: 30 May, 2022, 01:06:40 pm »

Good graphic! And clearly demonstrates huge range of speeds.

Those CrossMgr animations are a thing of beauty and a joy forever.  I've been progressively replacing the GPX files they're derived from using 1-point-per-second tracklogs with speed data from an actual race, so the corners are smooth and it can show the dots slowing down and speeding up at the appropriate moments.

The software can show you the animation in realtime during the race - which can be handy for getting ready to wave bells and flags - and it's uncanny how accurate it can be, given that it's only using the times the rider passes the RFID system at the finish line.  (Obviously it does go wrong if there's an incident of some kind.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #266 on: 30 May, 2022, 01:06:58 pm »
Typically the top of the fast race is in the 30mph+ range
The sort of speeds that are barely sensible on a turbo trainer - even if I could manage that on the road, I think I'd be too scared to go that fast.

It's surprising how different a race track is from the road in that respect.  You can have a lot more confidence when it's mostly flat, you know the surface is decent and there's nothing lurking round the corner to run you over.

Not that I'm likely to reach 30 in anything other than kilometres per hour a flat out sprint, mind you.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #267 on: 30 May, 2022, 01:25:22 pm »
Shame Eastway was subsumed by the Great God Mammon chiz, coz you could get a good turn of speed up on the hill feeding into the back straight.  Also it was within easy riding distance of Larrington Towers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #269 on: 15 June, 2022, 01:56:13 pm »
Sign-on for York (19th June - the rally weekend) is now open to BHPC members.

And closes tomorrow.  Not many takers for this one, so potentially some easy championship points for those who turn up...

Non-members are welcome.  You merely need a magic hat and a brake that works.  Since it's a banked velodrome, multi-track vehicles need to be reasonably fast, but bicycles shouldn't have too much trouble, even if they're Mildly Inappropriate™.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #270 on: 16 June, 2022, 12:36:51 am »

« Reply #271 on: 17 June, 2022, 07:03:18 am »
Since it's a banked velodrome, multi-track vehicles need to be reasonably fast, but bicycles shouldn't have too much trouble, even if they're Mildly Inappropriate™.

From BHPC faceache page....
Note: We shall be using the ROAD CIRCUIT for this event, not the velodrome as previously advertised
https://www.facebook.com/events/187269299903671/

Now trying to work out how to fit both a long barrow and up-wrong trike on the roof rack :-|

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #272 on: 17 June, 2022, 07:44:29 am »
If I’d have known the racing was on the road circuit, that might have increased the entry. When did that change?

« Reply #273 on: 17 June, 2022, 08:19:54 am »
Note that Facebook link is to last year.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #274 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:04:24 am »
If I’d have known the racing was on the road circuit, that might have increased the entry. When did that change?

If it has, nobody told me.  We couldn't get use of the track this year (which is disappointing, for the reason LittleWheelsandBig states), but had arranged a standby booking if bad weather made the velodrome unusable and whoever had booked the track pulled out.

I assume it's just FriendFace churning up random old bollocks, as is its way.