Author Topic: Grunhilda is on her way!  (Read 10589 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Grunhilda is on her way!
« Reply #50 on: 02 January, 2021, 11:45:08 am »
I’m trying at the moment to stop myself buying the new Milan GT Mk6 velomobile. With the motor that would set me back 13k Euros. My current Milan GT Mk2 works really well and is mega reliable but oh, the shiny! New!!!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #51 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:54:21 pm »
I’m trying at the moment to stop myself buying the new Milan GT Mk6 velomobile. With the motor that would set me back 13k Euros. My current Milan GT Mk2 works really well and is mega reliable but oh, the shiny! New!!!
Mk7, even better ;)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #52 on: 02 January, 2021, 06:54:35 pm »
That’s what I mean  :facepalm:
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #53 on: 02 January, 2021, 07:03:23 pm »
Having read of all the changes, I can see why you're tempted!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #54 on: 02 January, 2021, 11:52:53 pm »
...........  So on the whole , one happy bunny.

I am absolutely delighted you are enjoying it.  :thumbsup:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #55 on: 04 January, 2021, 08:41:37 am »
Be wary that you don’t get into Velomobiles - that route is wallet-emptying. I’ve had four of the things and bought five (gave one to my partner as a gift. Could have bought a nice car with the money!)

Well , if I could find one that I could fit in ( slimish 15 stone, 6'2", size 11), , I would indeed love to try one on a track for 1/2 hour, 'just for the knowing'

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #56 on: 04 January, 2021, 12:20:04 pm »
Be wary that you don’t get into Velomobiles - that route is wallet-emptying. I’ve had four of the things and bought five (gave one to my partner as a gift. Could have bought a nice car with the money!)

Well , if I could find one that I could fit in ( slimish 15 stone, 6'2", size 11), , I would indeed love to try one on a track for 1/2 hour, 'just for the knowing'
You'd fit in a Milan GT then - exactly what is now new, shiny!! So double-beware.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #57 on: 18 January, 2021, 04:58:55 pm »
Had a wee 'thing' with the chain guard  today. A few  weeks  months ago, the chain came off and wrapped it self around the BB, trapped by the circular chain guard and the chainset. After a lot of fiddling , mid ride, it was freed, but the result was that the chainguard became a tad loose. this particular one is trapped in position, by its central  locating ring, which is between the BB  shell, and the BB lock ring. So off with cranks, and it wouldn't nip up any more. So off with lockring, BB attached, and I managed to find an old Campag cassette spacer, that fitted perfectly, so reassembled with spacer next to shell, followed but chainguard then lockring. Nipped up nicely , this one, it has.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #58 on: 04 February, 2021, 11:28:14 am »
I'm trying to alternate between 'hilda and Olive, but when weather's rough I've been using Olive.  My goodness, I'm having difficulty getting comfy on Olive, fettle this, alter that,  but jump on 'hilda for a quick 50km, and no spanners or adjustments involved, just comfort.  What is amazing , is that i've had Olive over 4 years, always fettled, never really been comfy, but just rode it. I'm spoilt now, for sure, I can see when the weather gets better, I'll hardly use the upwrong.

« Reply #59 on: 04 February, 2021, 09:12:51 pm »
After riding my SPM regularly over summer I felt like my fixie was some sort of highracer.  During this lockdown I've tried the fixie on the turbo and it is rather uncomfortable compared with the Catrike.

In the last ten years a part of me bemoans anything I did to add comfort - I managed fine without it until then and now cannot manage without.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #60 on: 04 February, 2021, 09:30:26 pm »
Feels really high up when I ride my road bike.  I don’t do long distance or Audax on my road bike any more. So it’s kitted out for easy off road as well as road.  Meanwhile my recumbent is the bike of choice for most outings that stick to the road, plus all long distance and Audax.

« Reply #61 on: 04 February, 2021, 09:55:53 pm »
Similar for me at the moment. I've largely been riding my folding electric bike which is very sit up and beg.

The first few minutes riding on my regular bike it feels like I'm going to tip over the handlebars.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #62 on: 25 February, 2021, 02:14:48 pm »
Had a wee 'thing' with the chain guard  today. A few  weeks  months ago, the chain came off and wrapped it self around the BB, trapped by the circular chain guard and the chainset. After a lot of fiddling , mid ride, it was freed, but the result was that the chainguard became a tad loose.

I think that when this happened, I twisted a link, in fact I know I did, as I remember seeing the chain move differently as it passed by the chainring. Anyway, today, whilst half way round a 62km ride, half way up a hill, the chain let go. The broken outer link did look twisted, and a rivet had pulled out. Now then, lucky for me I had a quick link, but when the chain unravels itself and then pulls itself out of the chain tubes, and its shitty  not very clean, its a bugga to push back through the tubes. Anyway all is fixed, bodged, and I've found a couple of spare quick links in the shed, so I'll carry those with me.  I should replace the chain really, I suppose, but I'm sure the whole lot will need replacing, and can't make up my mind to replace front rings, (with 170 mm cranks), or replace the whole chainset with 160mm cranks (cheaper).
So with a chain breakage today, and a spoke breakage , on same route last week, I'll ride somewhere else for a while, me thinks.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #63 on: 17 April, 2021, 07:11:40 am »
Well it’s bin maintenance time in Stumpy’s shed. ‘Hilda has had a bit of lurve.  The chain was ‘well slack ‘ and rattley , and all the bushings seems to be loose.. The rear sprockets looked ok, but wasn’t going to risk it, so swapped those out. The sproccket teeth on the 170 mm chainset were like witches hats, except the 26t , as that was a recent replacement from a 30t.  So I thought I’d look in the stores cpd. I dug out my Campag triple chain set, of 30/39/48, with teeth fit for a dental exam, and 175 mm cranks. Swapped the 30t for the 26 t.  Fitted on extg bb, adjusted the front mech and cable pull, and went for a spin. Now I’d tried 175mm cranks last summer briefly ( for 1 ride) , but found I couldn’t spin as fast. Now tho, my boom is a tad longer than it was then, (  even taking into account the extra 5 mm of crank length, which means a 5 mm shorter boom), and initial thoughts were, hmm seems a bit odd. A 47 km ride 50% of into a “stiff” easterly, and I started to get used to it, and then the return leg, with an ‘up your chufferly’ and I found I could spin fine, just maybe not manically. I did give it some beans on the return, and my legs were a tad sore, but interestingly my knees were fine. I run 175 on everything else, and I am 6’’2”, so will see how it goes. Oh and I refitted the lower rack as well whilst the chain was off.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #64 on: 17 April, 2021, 11:21:00 am »
Cosimo the Stealth Baron has 172.5s for no readily-apparent reason and in my youth I could spin them at 100+ rpm all day.  Though once you hit 116 rpm the lateral swinging of the return run of the chain – guided by naught but a single titchy length of tube – told you it was time to change up, by bouncing off the front wheel.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime