Author Topic: Rides out during covid  (Read 17223 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Rides out during covid
« Reply #50 on: 11 January, 2021, 08:54:41 pm »
I would use a roller if I could afford and get one. I managed 3 miles today needing to visit the bank, large tesco for a charging lead for my phone and local shop for food supplies. I am worried about my fitness as cycling is the only exercise I can do with any degree of comfort (other than swimming which is out at present anyway)

Just do it, nobody's stopping you.  Until they install snipers in the trees with a shoot on sight order, nobody is going to stop a solo cyclist.

« Reply #51 on: 11 January, 2021, 09:00:24 pm »
Passed two officers coming other way on patrol, whilst I was out on a ride today.  The extent of the exchange was good afternoon from both sides. As it should be, if you’re solo.

« Reply #52 on: 11 January, 2021, 09:42:57 pm »
If it were clear BC would not ask for clarification. Mr Hancock in his briefing this evening said it was ok to walk and end up seven miles from home (14 mile round trip c. 4 hours, certainly beyond the interpretation‘stay in your village’) and you should ‘stay local, not travel to other parts of the country’. Mr Whitty this morning said the critical thing was to stick to the spirit of the guidance which was to avoid as many contacts with people outside your home as possible . With that in mind I will now venture out of my village, avoid as many contacts with people outside my home and not travel to other parts of the country.

If anyone's interested, Matt Hancock's statement on exercise, in answer to a question posed, is here: 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000rnxn/bbc-news-special-coronavirus-update-11012021   
Starts at: 1:01:50  (17:31hrs)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #53 on: 11 January, 2021, 09:55:11 pm »
I would use a roller if I could afford and get one. I managed 3 miles today needing to visit the bank, large tesco for a charging lead for my phone and local shop for food supplies. I am worried about my fitness as cycling is the only exercise I can do with any degree of comfort (other than swimming which is out at present anyway)

Chris, you have total justification for using your trike.  Just be sensible with the social distancing and you will be just fine.  Your need is many magnitudes more necessary than most.

« Reply #54 on: 11 January, 2021, 11:08:20 pm »
It looks like the law as applied to cycling will get clarified soon: Johnson has been spotted by the press going for a ride!

In the Olympic Park, seven miles from no. 10

It seems he was spotted 7 miles from home - but you have to doubt whether he actually rode all the way.

It appears not - he was driven there, with his bike and security detail, and pedalled around the Olympic Park.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #55 on: 12 January, 2021, 07:04:22 am »
It's the new hot-button topic, like religion or helmets.  Some people just don't know when to quit.

Do what the fuck you like, within the rules as best as you can interpret them.  Don't go on about it online, as there will always be someone who disagrees with you.
Amen.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #56 on: 12 January, 2021, 07:06:09 am »
The Greenway  around Letchworth is like the M25 on a busy Friday afternoon. Best avoided unless before 8am or after 6pm. Don't blame the cyclists, pedestrians and bog walkers as its a convenient place to get some fresh air. Makes sense to use an indoor trainer if you have one and if you don't I think its reasonable to solo cycle locally. I can't define local, ask Boris. My indoor trainer is being put to good use, not just for cycle specific fitness but also my mental arithmetic (poor) skills are being tested. Apart from watching metrics such as time, heart rate,  power etc, the boredom occasionally compells me to work out fractions, percentages of a ride

« Reply #57 on: 12 January, 2021, 07:34:46 am »
Thanks karla and pb . I'm worried about possible fines as much as anything.  My motivation is as quite poor in winter anyway and the lockdown is not helping .
the slower you go the more you see

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #58 on: 12 January, 2021, 07:43:58 am »
Thanks karla and pb . I'm worried about possible fines as much as anything.  My motivation is as quite poor in winter anyway and the lockdown is not helping .

You won't be fined for cycling on your own

« Reply #59 on: 12 January, 2021, 07:49:10 am »
Following Doris’ Cummings action yesterday that drove a cart and horse through the “ local” message and the definition given, Kit Malthouse on BBC this morning set the bar even lower , wittering about Doris and that some people can go further because they are fitter etc.
Another guideline undermined by wobbly politicians.
I feel especially sorry for the police who have to try to keep people safe in the face of a constantly changing political message.
Led by donkeys!

« Reply #60 on: 12 January, 2021, 08:02:07 am »
And I posted the ride on Strava.  If specific limits are imposed I might feel that I want to stop posting to Strava.

+1

+2 Thus is what we did at the beginning of the first one as people have very different perspectives on this and we decided we could live without putting our rides on strava

« Reply #61 on: 12 January, 2021, 08:34:14 am »
It really irritates me when Strava people attempt to justify their 2-up coffee ride to the mob in their ride descriptions. "Ride with Barry (socially distanced) to East Bumblef**k Garden Centre for Coffee (Takeaway/Outdoors)"

If you're afraid of the Strava Stasi, then don't post it. Also, it shows that you *think* you might be taking the piss but are doing it anyway. If you're confident in your own judgement of what's alright, then you shouldn't be afraid.

I admit, in the Spring Lockdown, I set myself some rather conservative limits of what I thought was right. To my shame, I recall seeing other peoples rides and raising my eyebrows or even *gasps* WITHELD KUDOS because they exceeded mine. I cringe thinking about it.

Ride your bike. Be safe. Ignore the curtain twitchers.

Davef

« Reply #62 on: 12 January, 2021, 08:54:02 am »
Following Doris’ Cummings action yesterday that drove a cart and horse through the “ local” message and the definition given, Kit Malthouse on BBC this morning set the bar even lower , wittering about Doris and that some people can go further because they are fitter etc.
Another guideline undermined by wobbly politicians.
I feel especially sorry for the police who have to try to keep people safe in the face of a constantly changing political message.
Led by donkeys!
“Stay local” in the first lockdown meant do not travel long distance to find a place to exercise. This was to stop congestion at popular spots. The guidance this time could be interpreted in the same way, however it was not obvious whether the current guidance meant that, or “travel” meant during the exercise. BC asked for clarification (as did I). Members of the cabinet that came up with the guidance have clarified what they meant. That differs to what some people interpreted the rules to mean. That does not mean the politicians (or the civil servants who wrote it down) have wobbled. It is still poorly written, the sentence about personal trainers is particularly bad. If people want to impose more stringent rules on themselves that is fine too.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #63 on: 12 January, 2021, 08:56:08 am »
You have to have a personal trainer now...?

Davef

Rides out during covid
« Reply #64 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:00:57 am »
You have to have a personal trainer now...?
I prefer a pair. To limit the spread of fungal infections they should not be shared. If I limited myself to one I would have to hop and I would not get beyond the village boundary.

TimC

« Reply #65 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:02:44 am »
Blimey. I thought one was expensive! And she didn't get me fit.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #66 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:18:05 am »
Did anyone else hear the psychologist at the end of the Toady Programme this morning? Basically, curtain twitching is a dreadful idea and we should be concentrating on the 90% of people doing the right thing.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #67 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:56:24 am »
I can understand that point of view except that the 10% doing the "wrong" thing are contributing far more to the continued spread of covid.

If bozo&co can really vaccinate all over 50's by the end of April then by the end of May it should be largely under control especially so given the usual annual cycle of respiratory viruses.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #68 on: 12 January, 2021, 10:02:04 am »

;D

Did she pose a threat of fungal infections?
It is simpler than it looks.

TimC

« Reply #69 on: 12 January, 2021, 10:38:57 am »

;D

Did she pose a threat of fungal infections?

Stop now!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #70 on: 12 January, 2021, 11:53:05 am »

What GD said.  I've been riding throughout, most other people have too and there's never been any problem.  Solo cyclists have not been bothered by the police.

Don't listen to the people who sit inside on their computers and tell tales of what the outside world is like.  They don't represent reality

« Reply #71 on: 12 January, 2021, 12:38:51 pm »
Well put.  ^

To put it in a political context, there's always a reason for why things are as they are. 

It's not hard to set clearer rules.  The government employs lots of clever psychologists into things like nudging and influencing behaviour.  They could set a clear boundary for exercise if they wanted to. 

But there is the small matter of who gets the blame for the 100,000+ deaths that we soon will have had.  And the plan is for it to be the public, not the government.  And that needs people, and the press, to keep talking about people not complying.  Ambiguity is massively helpful here.  And it's working: polls the other day said that more people blame each other than the government, and that the gap is widening. 

This discussion is a small part in the masterplan of that policy! 

Please, just ride your bike if you want to.  Don't waste your time and energy worrying about what other people do. 

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #72 on: 12 January, 2021, 12:50:12 pm »

Don't listen to the peeple who sit inside on their computers and tell tales of what the outside world is like.  They don't represent reality

Very true

Is this the turning point, when we start to agree on things?  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #73 on: 12 January, 2021, 03:38:47 pm »

What GD said.  I've been riding throughout, most other people have too and there's never been any problem.  Solo cyclists have not been bothered by the police.

Don't listen to the people who sit inside on their computers and tell tales of what the outside world is like.  They don't represent reality

And why, in your opinion do they not represent reality? Or is it more that they represent a reality different to yours?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #74 on: 12 January, 2021, 05:46:21 pm »
Well put.  ^

To put it in a political context, there's always a reason for why things are as they are. 

It's not hard to set clearer rules.  The government employs lots of clever psychologists into things like nudging and influencing behaviour.  They could set a clear boundary for exercise if they wanted to. 

But there is the small matter of who gets the blame for the 100,000+ deaths that we soon will have had.  And the plan is for it to be the public, not the government.  And that needs people, and the press, to keep talking about people not complying.  Ambiguity is massively helpful here.  And it's working: polls the other day said that more people blame each other than the government, and that the gap is widening. 

This discussion is a small part in the masterplan of that policy! 

Please, just ride your bike if you want to.  Don't waste your time and energy worrying about what other people do.

Absolutely.  We've been subject to lies, distortions and selective information for years now.  It's sad that it seems to work so well.  And back on topic, I've found that getting outdoors for some fresh air is essential at times like this.  Because long bike rides are out, walks work well for more of a workout over short distances.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.