Author Topic: Cast Iron cookware.  (Read 3872 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Cast Iron cookware.
« Reply #25 on: 18 February, 2021, 12:45:10 pm »
I remember reading an article in a cycling mag over 30 years ago, in W.H Smiths, when on my lunch break, and it suggested that women cyclists would benefit from cooking their meals in a cast iron ''skillet' , as the food takes in some additional  iron content from the pan, which would of course be of some use.
But that won't work for enamelled cast iron pans. The enamel coating would prevent any iron from being absorbed.
A similar thing is a Lucky Iron Fish. https://luckyironfish.com/

And not just women, probably plenty of male cyclists are iron deficient.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #26 on: 18 February, 2021, 12:48:19 pm »
As a previous 'collector' of orange and then green Le Creuset (only to please my wife of course and because we changed the colour of the kitchen walls), then learning that it's perfectly do-able to survive without a wife and any cast iron, this article seemed apposite -

https://medium.com/@mdowns1611/how-an-apartment-becomes-a-prison-an-analysis-of-commodities-and-spaces-in-fight-club-9d6636a6b97d

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 18 February, 2021, 02:56:43 pm »
Well... I've seen bits of the film, they might have been outtakes or DRCs, and I've read the book, but it doesn't stick in my memory. I tend to get it mixed up with Trainspotting (seen the film, haven't read the book) and Bright Lights, Big City (don't think there is a film). The overlap with Trainspotting is obvious, with BLBC I don't think it really exists.

But you've still got to cook dinner and the choice between striated or smooth cookware might be crucial.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 18 February, 2021, 03:52:37 pm »
I'm reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau at the moment. He has much to say on this subject. And is very entertaining on it too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 18 February, 2021, 03:54:23 pm »
On which subject: cookware or global-capitalist consumerism? I can imagine (without having ever read him :facepalm:) that he might well address both subjects.

citoyen

« Reply #30 on: 18 February, 2021, 03:59:21 pm »
On which subject: cookware or global-capitalist consumerism? I can imagine (without having ever read him :facepalm:) that he might well address both subjects.

Well, both. Although he doesn't limit his critique of capitalist consumerism to cookware - he talks a lot about how houses themselves are prisons.

"I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes."

The principle applies equally to cast iron pans.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 18 February, 2021, 04:11:57 pm »
So he would have liked McDonalds; requires no cookware and can be eaten outside the house.  ;D :hand:

citoyen

« Reply #32 on: 18 February, 2021, 04:14:02 pm »
Um.....

;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #33 on: 19 February, 2021, 03:50:20 pm »
When my shares go mad, I shall invest in a range of Le Creuset items.

My sister and I also fight over who will inherit my mother's 40+ years old bare cast iron casserole pot.  It's so well seasoned that cleaning is achieved by wiping it with a damp dishcloth.

A hint when trying to dry either bare cast iron or steel woks is once they're washed, stick them back on a high heat to dry them off.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 19 February, 2021, 04:40:06 pm »
Don’t use any chemicals.
Not even micellar water?  :D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 19 February, 2021, 05:00:37 pm »