Author Topic: Soy Milk sans Tetrapack  (Read 1522 times)

Soy Milk sans Tetrapack
« on: 31 March, 2021, 04:53:42 pm »
Any options for Soya (or other vegan milk alternatives) sans the Tetrapack?
As a family of 5 we have been through two bin bags of tetrapacks since Christmas - surely there must be a better option.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Soy Milk sans Tetrapack
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2021, 05:05:05 pm »
Get a Vitamix and make your own? Although stupidly expensive, they can make soy milk with just dry beans and water. It even cooks the milk with friction from the blades, and there's no filtering or waste products.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:23:48 pm »
We now prefer to use oat 'milk', which also comes in tetra packs, although our local authority does recycle them. No recycling collection, but we take them to the collection point in the local Asda car park.

Must say I'd never thought of making my own plant milk - but our delivery milkman (McQueens of Huddersfield) now does oat (but not soya) drink in bottles, at £1.29 a pint.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2021, 12:46:12 pm »
We tend to use the Innocent range of dairy alternatives.  Slightly more expensive but I think there's a difference in taste.  Also come in widely recycled bottles.

Very poor practice if your LA doesn't recycle Tetrapak, as they're supposed to by now.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2021, 02:16:28 pm »
We can bring tetrapacks to the tip - which we do.  It is a much greater faff and tetrapacks are worse than the alternatives due to being hard to recycle.  I think the innocent range are onto something.  Must write to Alpro.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2021, 06:35:19 pm »
I'm not keen of soya milk, bought or made, but almond milk and rice milk are simple to make, I like them both, though for different things.  I'm using a NutriBullet, which was quite cheap, it's fine for the quantities I use, you'll probably need something bigger and more powerful for family quantities.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2021, 04:31:54 pm »
Milk and More deliver oat milk in glass milk bottles.