Author Topic: Tour de France 2021  (Read 54354 times)

Re: Tour de France 2021
« Reply #50 on: 27 June, 2021, 07:52:06 am »
Ouchie...

DNF: Jasha Sütterlin (Team DSM) - hematoma to the hand
DNF: Ignatas Konovalovas (Groupama-FDJ) - head trauma
DNF: Cyril Lemoine (B&B Hotels-KTM) - broken ribs, punctured lung, cut on scalp
DNS stage 2: Marc Soler (Movistar) - fractured radius, left and right, fractured ulna
Aurelien Paret-Peintre (AG2R Citroën) - contusion to left knee
Ben O'Connor (AG2R Citroën) - 10 stitches on left forearm
Dorion Godon (AG2R Citroën) - road rash
Benoit Cosnefroy (AG2R Citroën) - road rash, stitches on right arm
Nans Peters (AG2R Citroën) - bruised shoulder, road rash
Michaël Schär (AG2R Citroën) - neck pain
Kristian Sbaragli (Alpecin-Fenix) - stitches on lower lip
Tim Merlier (Alpecin-Fenix) - contusions on knees
Dan McLay (Arkea-Samsic) - back pain
Clément Russo (Arkea-Samsic) - thoracic trauma
Amund Grøndahl Jansen (BikeExchange) - lumbar trauma, stitches on right elbow
Jesús Herrada (Cofidis) - contusion to hip
Pierre-Luc Périchon (Cofidis) - contusion to right calf
Dries Devenyns (Deceuninck-Quickstep)
Søren Kragh Andersen (DSM)
Casper Pedersen (DSM) - stitches
Chris Froome (Israel Start-Up Nation) - hip and thoracic trauma
Reto Hollenstein (Israel Start-Up Nation) - thoracic trauma
Mike Teunissen (Jumbo-Visma) - road rash, trauma to elbow, hip
Marc Hirschi (UAE Team Emirates) - separated shoulder

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/21-riders-injured-in-tour-de-france-opening-stage-crashes/

Kruijswijk got to the finish minus a seat stay: https://twitter.com/thijszonneveld/status/1408807349649874946

6 of AG2R out. Blimey.

Somewhat more interesting is to look at where Ineos are on the GC now...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #51 on: 27 June, 2021, 07:59:55 am »
6 of AG2R out. Blimey.

Somewhat more interesting is to look at where Ineos are on the GC now...

At least there's no TTT this year. That would hurt with only 2 riders...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #52 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:05:00 am »
Actually that's not a DNS list, just injuries I think.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #53 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:06:41 am »
I imagine there will be other unlisted riders who soldiered on to the finish after the 2nd crash, and were treated by their teams' medics.

I wouldn't be surprised if a certain number start today so see how it goes and DNF in the first 50km.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #54 on: 27 June, 2021, 04:04:08 pm »
Which app do you use to track the tour and do you use it to track other Grand Tours?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: 27 June, 2021, 04:52:58 pm »
TV's Nice C Boardman was also surprised to see Froome starting today and it looked like he got dropped right near the bottom of the first ascent of the Mûr.  You can’t be much help to Woods or Martin from back there, lad.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Nick H.

« Reply #56 on: 27 June, 2021, 04:58:20 pm »
Van der Poel is stretching my credibility. How can a 6 footer do so much work at the front, do multiple attacks, then recover instantly and blast away from the whole field, apparently in a different gear?

His dad Adri is the guy who blamed his failed dope test on eating a pigeon which had been killed with strychnine.

« Reply #57 on: 27 June, 2021, 05:35:35 pm »
TBH, I'm more outraged by ITV4 screwing the pooch and going to a shitvert break for the entire first ascent of the Mur.

His dad Adri is the guy who blamed his failed dope test on eating a pigeon which had been killed with strychnine.

Tom Lehrer: Nothing to do with me, I was nowhere near at the time!
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #58 on: 27 June, 2021, 06:30:43 pm »
What Spesh said about the shitvert timing.  Moreover, according to the BBC:

As the riders took to stage two, French police launched an investigation into the multi-rider pile-up on Saturday which was caused by a spectator who leant into the path of the speeding peloton while holding up a sign.

The police said they intend to charge the unnamed spectator with "unintentional short-term injury through a manifestly deliberate breach of a duty of safety or care".

Nick H.

« Reply #59 on: 27 June, 2021, 07:12:21 pm »
I hope they don't find her - I'm sure she's suffered enough. Becoming a worldwide focus for scorn and hatred might ruin her life.

« Reply #60 on: 27 June, 2021, 07:15:34 pm »
Which app do you use to track the tour and do you use it to track other Grand Tours?

Umm, Tourtracker works for me  ;)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #61 on: 27 June, 2021, 07:23:31 pm »
I hope they don't find her - I'm sure she's suffered enough. Becoming a worldwide focus for scorn and hatred might ruin her life.

Conversely, perhaps a spectidiot needs to be made an example of pour encourager les autres.

Considering past incidents, should we wait for a rider or a spectator to be killed as a result of a collision before people actually take it upon themselves to consider that getting on TV is not worth causing an accident/incident?

Just sayin'...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #62 on: 27 June, 2021, 07:44:34 pm »
Van der Poel is stretching my credibility. How can a 6 footer do so much work at the front, do multiple attacks, then recover instantly and blast away from the whole field, apparently in a different gear?

But his grandfather is/was Raymond Poulidor....

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #63 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:14:44 pm »

Do we know how many people didn't manage it the start line today?

I can't seem to find any DNF list...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #64 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:27:55 pm »

J

Wielerflits.ne is pretty good for detail, as are the other Dutch sites.  The Netherlanders are great compilers of full race stats from the year dot.

« Reply #65 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:29:01 pm »
According to ProCyclingStats, just Soler (does not include the 3 who DNFd yesterday). And all those who stared this morning finished.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #66 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:32:59 pm »

https://www.letour.fr/en/withdrawal is the official place.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #67 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:47:31 pm »
I’ll have to disagree with you there. She caused an obstruction with a foreseeable outcome and didn’t take reasonable care (ie she had her back to the oncoming peloton) to avoid any coming together. As a direct result of her actions 100 or so professional riders crashed, with many of them receiving significant injuries. Cycle racing is a dangerous enough sport without fuckwits being allowed to stand in the road with impunity.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #68 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:52:04 pm »
It's debatable whether she's more of a fuckwit than Eric the Fan, who took out Giuseppe Guerini on l'Alpe d'Huez in 1999, but he only took down one rider, who was able to get back on his bike and win the stage.

« Reply #69 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:21:31 pm »
It's debatable whether she's more of a fuckwit than Eric the Fan, who took out Giuseppe Guerini on l'Alpe d'Huez in 1999, but he only took down one rider, who was able to get back on his bike and win the stage.

The other collision that always comes to mind is the one involving André Darrigade and Constant Wouters:

On 19 July 1958 the Tour finished at the Parc des Princes in western Paris. The 70-year-old sécrétaire-général of the stadium, Constant Wouters ran across the grass in the centre of the ground to prevent photographers encroaching on the track. The journalists hid the riders and Wouters from each other and Darrigade rode into Wouters as he stepped onto the track. Darrigade was lifted from his bike and turned round and Wouters thrown into the air. Both fell heavily and were taken to hospital. Wouters was treated at the nearby Boucicaut medical centre but died on 31 July. Darrigade cracked his skull and broke ribs. He was able to return before the end of the meeting to take a lap of honour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Darrigade#Professional_career

« Reply #70 on: 27 June, 2021, 10:25:42 pm »
I tend to put her in the same bucket as the person (there’s one most years it seems) that lets their dog off the lead as the race approaches. There’s going to be one in any crowd as big as the tour attracts, and I’m not sure the potential of being sued will put them off - because they’re not the sort of people to think that far ahead. However, I might shrug a bit less if it was my face hitting a generously sized sheet of cardboard at fast km/h.

In any case, having caught up with the highlights, I enjoyed the stages so far.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #71 on: 27 June, 2021, 10:40:00 pm »
The live coverage today had someone holding a placard reading “FUCK OPI OMA” in large friendly letters.  “Probably an old Breton word” opined Professor *** Boulting of Oxtail University.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 27 June, 2021, 11:04:58 pm »
I tend to put her in the same bucket as the person (there’s one most years it seems) that lets their dog off the lead as the race approaches. There’s going to be one in any crowd as big as the tour attracts, and I’m not sure the potential of being sued will put them off - because they’re not the sort of people to think that far ahead.

Ob fun-police: I suppose the real question is why spectators are allowed to just stand next to cyclists riding in a tight group at speeds in excess of R17 like that.  You can't educate the stupid away, it needs to be engineered, like in motor-sport.

« Reply #73 on: 27 June, 2021, 11:26:03 pm »
Hopefully she'll do the right thing and come forward. Then the matter can be dealt with in an appropriate way. I'm not sure what "suing" really means in this context, but whatever happens, I hope it doesn't turn into an internet witch hunt....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #74 on: 28 June, 2021, 07:40:25 am »
I tend to put her in the same bucket as the person (there’s one most years it seems) that lets their dog off the lead as the race approaches. There’s going to be one in any crowd as big as the tour attracts, and I’m not sure the potential of being sued will put them off - because they’re not the sort of people to think that far ahead.

Ob fun-police: I suppose the real question is why spectators are allowed to just stand next to cyclists riding in a tight group at speeds in excess of R17 like that.  You can't educate the stupid away, it needs to be engineered, like in motor-sport.
The logistics of 400km (give or take, for both sides of the road) of barriers, rolling policing of them and giving people access to their houses when the road isn’t closed would turn road racing into velodrome racing in short order. Like in motor sport.