Author Topic: Recommend a sturdy mini pump  (Read 2079 times)

Recommend a sturdy mini pump
« on: 05 July, 2021, 11:49:52 am »
I'm looking for a mini pump that is a short version equivalent of the Zefal HPX, ie something durable, simple and sturdy.

I prefer all metal construction, both presta and schrader fit although presta only is also OK. Length would be short enough to fit in a pannier or saddlebag (Nelson/Cadet).

I don't need gimmicks, gauges, fold out handles, lightweight, ultra small size.

Re: Recommend a sturdy mini pump
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:52:13 am »
Top Peak Pocket Rocket.
There's a reason I have three of them.

« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2021, 12:11:02 pm »
I've been using a mini track pump for a while, and I'd recommend it.    I think I bought it in Halfrauds several years ago when my full size frame fit pump failed.  Can't remember how much I paid, but knowing me it wouldn't have been excessive.

Only label on it is "air supply", but a google search shows it is identical to this
https://alexnld.com/product/giyo-gm-71-140-psi-mtb-road-fold-bike-ball-portable-air-inflator-presta-schrader-valve-mini-pumps/
with the exception I don't have a pressure gauge.

On mine the little stand (wire loop on left of that photo) folds down, and the tube extends out with a rubber flexible pipe to make it easy to attach to the bike.  The handle unfolds to 90 degrees for comfortable use.

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2021, 12:50:36 pm »
Zefal HPX size 1. :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2021, 01:09:42 pm »

I thought of that but the size 1 seems to be out of stock in the places I searched.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2021, 01:13:39 pm »

I thought of that but the size 1 seems to be out of stock in the places I searched.

SJS claim to have 3 in stock...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2021, 01:24:47 pm »
I've just found...the Zefal HPX Light, a mini version of the Zefal HPX!

https://road.cc/content/review/15467-zefal-hpx-light-mini-pump

« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2021, 02:11:24 pm »
On Saturday's ride, I helped out yet another rider in our group who had a puncture, using my Zefal HPX size 4.  :smug:
He had a mini pump the size of a pencil. :demon:

« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2021, 02:34:40 pm »
Topeak Race Rocket. Pretty small, mostly metal. Has a little extending hose, I think that makes it a lot easier to pump, without damaging the valve.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2021, 02:37:06 pm »
On Saturday's ride, I helped out yet another rider in our group who had a puncture, using my Zefal HPX size 4.  :smug:

It always amazes me the number of people who have tiny mini pumps that while capable of being used to pump a tyre up, to any reasonable pressure will take about a week. Some need 150+ pumps to get a road tyre upto pressure. I long ago realised that skimping on a tiny pump was just false economy, Sure it's light, and small, but as a pump it fails it's primary purpose. I have a Topeak Turbo Morph G, which can get my 32mm road tyres upto 6 bar without any major issue, and pretty fast. It's not going to fit in a jersey pocket, but I just carry it in my frame bag. A lot less faff than a mini pump.

I've stopped on many a ride to help roadies, and when I pull out my big pump, they are all surprised at what I am carrying, but very relieved by how fast it gets them back on the road.

J
--

« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2021, 02:39:28 pm »

Was it not working?  You could all have a food break whilst they pump away.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2021, 02:40:15 pm »
Topeak Race Rocket. Pretty small, mostly metal. Has a little extending hose, I think that makes it a lot easier to pump, without damaging the valve.

https://road.cc/content/review/270937-topeak-racerocket-hp-mini-pump

I reached the limit of my bicep endurance at 90-100psi – all you need in a 25mm tyre in any case.

For this sort of pressure in a standard 25mm tyre you're looking at around 300 strokes and well under five minutes including a couple of breathers.

300 strokes... Looks like my estimation was off...

J
--

« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2021, 02:43:28 pm »
300 strokes, who needs a gym?

« Reply #13 on: 05 July, 2021, 02:57:41 pm »
Still quicker and easier than a Zefal HPX.

« Reply #14 on: 05 July, 2021, 03:01:15 pm »
It's not the number of strokes, after all it's all good exercise, but after the tyre reaches a certain pressure, you just can't pump in any more air because the pump is too short to build up enough pressure inside the pump to overcome the tyre pressure.

« Reply #15 on: 05 July, 2021, 03:10:42 pm »

How’d you figure that?

« Reply #16 on: 05 July, 2021, 03:15:38 pm »
I don't think so!

« Reply #17 on: 05 July, 2021, 03:24:30 pm »
I had a Zefal pump years ago, it was a bit crap. The lack of hose means you need to support the valve with one hand, while pumping with the other. Or be bending over at an uncomfortable angle. Then it broke after bouncing along the road a few times...
Plenty of modern mini pumps are much easier to use.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 05 July, 2021, 03:48:54 pm »
Bollocks, in pretty much every way.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #19 on: 05 July, 2021, 04:00:53 pm »

SJS claim to have 3 in stock...

J

I might pay "full" price at an actual LBS but online I'm not going to.

« Reply #20 on: 05 July, 2021, 06:38:57 pm »
If you regularly ride in a group, then the criteria for choosing a pump that you probably won't have to use can be different to one you will.  Plus, people like to show their pumps off, so that alongside the pandemic guidance not to share tools, might result in someone else doing the work as well.
When riding alone, IMO the mini track pump design is worth the extra size and weight. 

« Reply #21 on: 05 July, 2021, 06:45:55 pm »
I used to have a frame fit pump, full size.    I now use the tiny track pump as I posted above, which fits on a bottle cage mount.

I will stick with the one I listed above as I can pump to full pressure easily.

« Reply #22 on: 06 July, 2021, 08:43:00 am »
I used to have a frame fit pump, full size.    I now use the tiny track pump as I posted above, which fits on a bottle cage mount.

Your mini one is 30-50g lighter, so certainly you didn’t get it for weight savings.

« Reply #23 on: 06 July, 2021, 08:54:58 am »

Your mini one is 30-50g lighter, so certainly you didn’t get it for weight savings.

I bought it as
1) I needed a pump
2) it was high pressure as opposed to others on the shelf
3) it was small enough to go in rack bag/jersey pocket/bottle cage mount/etc
4) cost was acceptable

« Reply #24 on: 06 July, 2021, 09:21:34 am »
I had a Zefal pump years ago, it was a bit crap. The lack of hose means you need to support the valve with one hand, while pumping with the other. Or be bending over at an uncomfortable angle. Then it broke after bouncing along the road a few times...
Plenty of modern mini pumps are much easier to use.

Sounds like user error to me, and perhaps not the HP/HPX model.

I've had mine come off the frame a few times when riding and also when carrying the bike on my shoulder. The handle twist mechanism doesn't work anymore, I couldn't work out how it goes back together but the pump still works.

I suspect modern compact frames don't work very well with frame fit pumps.