Author Topic: FNRTTC  (Read 36407 times)

Re: FNRTTC
« Reply #25 on: 18 April, 2008, 02:57:36 pm »
We want full ride reports please. :)

« Reply #26 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:04:02 pm »
We want full ride reports please. :)
Gladly since it will be my first train ride in 20 years.   ;D

« Reply #27 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:07:23 pm »
You have pm Del (but you've probably already seen it)

« Reply #28 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:47:16 pm »
I really, really wanted to do this. I took today off work so I could have a long lie in in preparation (and do some baking).

But the headwind worries me, I don't want to be only one miles behind holding everyone up and it will be the longest ride I've done so far.

I've baked the brownies and everything!

Don't know what to do.

« Reply #29 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:48:54 pm »
You won't be holding me up.  I'm just out for the ride.

Company welcome.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #30 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:51:36 pm »
I really, really wanted to do this. I took today off work so I could have a long lie in in preparation (and do some baking).

But the headwind worries me, I don't want to be only one miles behind holding everyone up and it will be the longest ride I've done so far.

Don't know what to do.

You won't be holding anybody up.  Don't worry. 

If you're really struggling (and I know exactly how that feels, being unkeen on headwinds myself) then you are welcome to a tow behind the tandem.  If you begin to drop behind then I shall merely stop pedalling.  :D

Anyway, I have it on finest authority that the wind always drops when it gets dark. 

« Reply #31 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:55:19 pm »
Bring yourself and your brownies.
A little under two years ago I told my sister I was riding to Brighton, at night, with a bunch of people I'd never met.
She looked at me like I was nuts.
I'd only been cycling for something like three months and the furthest I'd ridden was 20 miles, on my own.
Since which time I have only missed something like three or four of these rides.

Turn up at HPC at midnight.
You'll not regret it.

« Reply #32 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:04:06 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement, it really does mean a lot!  :)  I am worried more about affecting anyone else's night that anything else.

I never touched any drink yesterday at someone's leaving drinks because I wanted to be in the peak of health for today/tonight (me being a lightweight).

Seriously, if anyone wants to tell me to stay at home this time, I will not be offended. I don't want to be a PITA, I know it's frustrating to have to keep waiting for someone.  :-\

« Reply #33 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:05:10 pm »

But the headwind worries me

Don't know what to do.
Don't waste a day off. Don't worry about headwinds or being left behind. Enjoy the ride.
Bring the baked goods. Jurek, Nutty, Andrijj and myself will help you loose your load and give you an easier time of it.  ;D

« Reply #34 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:06:58 pm »
Seriously, if anyone wants to tell me to stay at home this time, I will not be offended.
Stay at home on Saturday, from about mid morning, to recover from the previous nights ride.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:08:55 pm »
Seriously, I went and weighed the brownie (pre slicing) and it's about a kilo's worth of brownie. You will certainly be helping me rid myself of them!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #36 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:10:25 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement, it really does mean a lot!  :)  I am worried more about affecting anyone else's night that anything else.

That's always the way, I worry about that too.

And now that (very occasionally) it's me waiting for someone else at the top of the hill, I realise that my worries are unfounded; nobody minds.  At all.  In fact, they're probably singing filthy songs and enjoying the breather.  :)

This newfound knowledge doesn't stop me from worrying that I'm wrecking someone else's ride when it's them waiting for me, though.  Even though I know it's not a problem...  ::-)

« Reply #37 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:12:06 pm »

I never touched any drink yesterday at someone's leaving drinks because I wanted to be in the peak of health for today/tonight (me being a lightweight).

Seriously, if anyone wants to tell me to stay at home this time, I will not be offended. I don't want to be a PITA, I know it's frustrating to have to keep waiting for someone.
  :-\

If you do a search on ACF (I have no access anymore) for a previous FNRTTC to Brighton (I think June 2006) you'll see the ride reports.

We had a group of "newbies" turn up in jeans, who hadn't ridden that distance before, expecting just be given a routesheet and sent on their way.  I was tail end charlie  (Try searching for SimonL3 saying "So I did the dirty on an old friend" or similar, that rings a bell).

You'll see that the most rewarding thing that Simon and myself had wasn't the ride, but that we counted 16 riders out from the start, and counted 16 riders in at the end.  16 riders that had great fun.   Yes it took longer than the previous month, but we were still there in time for breakfast (and for me to cycle back to Southend in time for the family barbeque ::-))

The words were penned back in 2006, not in response to you just now  ;D   I'll see you at Hyde Park Corner, and in Southend.

« Reply #38 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:13:44 pm »
Seriously, I went and weighed the brownie (pre slicing) and it's about a kilo's worth of brownie. You will certainly be helping me rid myself of them!
That's me sorted, but what about the others?  ;)

« Reply #39 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:15:43 pm »
I've just realised something!

This will be my first leisure ride of 2008.
This will be my longest ride since 2nd September 2007.

<----   Mr Unfit  :-[   (Who went to the pub at lunchtime ;D)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #40 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:22:16 pm »
<----   Mr Unfit  :-[   (Who went to the pub at lunchtime ;D)
That was how I used to warm up for these rides :)

And don't forget to hydrate after a hard ride either

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/woollypigs/L2BOvernight110806/photo?authkey=EzL3K2aay4E#5062160653019036706

FNRttC L2B in Aug. 06.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Dave

« Reply #41 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:23:22 pm »
I am worried more about affecting anyone else's night that anything else.

You're bringing food and you're worried about negatively affecting anyone else's night?

Just carefully ration the grub and you'll always be surrounded by a peloton :thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:38:21 pm »
You are all being very lovely.

I just had a brownie and it was very chocolatey indeed.

Right, I will go and do tyre inspection.

Nutty, I have gone and found the ride you mentioned and can confirm I will be on one of the aforementioned 'chunky alu hybrids with chunky tyres' (although mine are mostly slick and I've fitted ergo bar ends).

I do keep meaning to get slimmer tyres but I want to get lots of wear out of the ones that came with the bike first, I'm turning into my mother in that respect.

Dave

« Reply #43 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:43:31 pm »
I'm really getting quite excited about this now :D

It is Hyde Park Corner where everyone is meeting, isn't it?

(I'll be the bloke you won't recognise, riding a Spesh Roubaix and looking vaguely like he'd rather be somewhere else...)

« Reply #44 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:44:09 pm »
Nothing wrong with chunky tyres and a hybrid.

I rode the 2005 Dunwich Dynamo on a very very chunky tyred MTB having crashed the best bike heavily on the way to the start.  And that ride's a lot further, and without the "stick with the last rider" mentality that we will have tonight.

I think a hybrid with mostly slick tyres will be very suitable tonight.

Arthur

« Reply #45 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:46:39 pm »
NSTN, I'm sure that Nutty will also be able to understand your desire to get maximum wear out of components, having ridden last June's FNRttC on rims that had worn to the thickness of Bacofoil.

« Reply #46 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:47:05 pm »
I'll be riding back on myself up to Brentwood once we arrive in Sarfend, via a whole load of my old training routes, a quick gander at my old house etc...I will be taking it a bit easy on the way out too.
Besides, this is a social ride!

« Reply #47 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:54:16 pm »
NSTN, I'm sure that Nutty will also be able to understand your desire to get maximum wear out of components, having ridden last June's FNRttC on rims that had worn to the thickness of Bacofoil.

I'd forgotten those  ;D

They were the same rims that I rode down to Brighton and back in the May ;D  (and you all were sure I wouldn't get there without a failure)

annie

« Reply #48 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:54:42 pm »

Seriously, if anyone wants to tell me to stay at home this time, I will not be offended. I don't want to be a PITA, I know it's frustrating to have to keep waiting for someone.  :-\

Hello,

please believe me when I say you will be fine.  You will not be left behind, it is a social ride, everyone looks out for everyone else.

Yes it will be your longest ride to date, everyone starts somewhere.  You will have a great time.  Simon's rides are memorable and much fun.

I wish I was well enough to attend.

Go along, take your brownies or flapjack, chat and have fun.  You will soon be planning your next night ride and wondering why you were ever worried..

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #49 on: 18 April, 2008, 05:02:33 pm »

You won't be holding me up-  it's more likely I'll be the little one on a blue bike trying to keep up with you.
Jane