Author Topic: Master link designs  (Read 3082 times)

Master link designs
« on: 14 June, 2009, 07:03:57 am »
I've got an S&S tandem. This entails removing or splitting the sync chain every time it comes apart, which is a nuisance - presently, I'm undoing the retaining bolts on the eccentric and loosening it every time.

I'm wondering if anyone's aware of a chain master link design that doesn't require you to pull the two halves towards each other - obviously impossible on a reasonably tight sync chain. I know some 1/8" master links have a little screw thingy, but don't know who makes them or anything helpful, and (while I'd do it) I'd obviously prefer to buy one 3/32" master link than two chainrings and a new chain.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Master link designs
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2009, 07:56:06 am »
Can you get 3/32" chain with this kind of joining link?

It's not a great pic, but it's the kind of long circlip thing that prises off without the need to squeeze the chain together.
We use 1/8" chain on our tandem, but I think the rings are just standard 3/32"
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

robbo6

« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2009, 11:57:42 am »
Wippermann make such a thing for their industrial chains, Wippermann type 110, ISO 082 is 1/2" x 3/32" chain, No. 11 spring clip, according to my oldish catalogue. Google is playing up so I can't help with a supplier, sorry.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2009, 12:01:01 pm »
Some Izumi track chains have a master link with a screw fitting, but they may only be 1/8" too.

Why not just try a 1/8" chain?  The only downside is that it might be slightly more noisy, but then again, it might not.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »
Can you get 3/32" chain with this kind of joining link?

Yep. My KMC z610hx comes with one. Singlespeed/hub gear specific though.

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2009, 08:59:36 pm »

That should be OK - not many derailleurs on a tandem sync chain. :-)

Thanks to all who replied. I'll probably get one of those KMC chains, pinch the master link, but use the chain itself for another bike - the sync chain is longer than a normal chain so otherwise I'd have to get two and throw away a perfectly good sync chain.

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2009, 09:02:30 pm »

That should be OK - not many derailleurs on a tandem sync chain. :-)

Thanks to all who replied. I'll probably get one of those KMC chains, pinch the master link, but use the chain itself for another bike - the sync chain is longer than a normal chain so otherwise I'd have to get two and throw away a perfectly good sync chain.

I used to buy three, use one and a half., and keep the rest for the next replacement.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2009, 03:17:41 pm »
How tight does the chain really need to be?  If you don't mind the very slightest hint of slack, it's pretty easy to de-rail 3/16 chain by hand when need be.  And so long as the chain line is straight, I can't see why this should cause problems.  This was the solution when we got our S&S-coupled tandem, anyway -- am I asking for trouble?

(Obviously fixed tandems are an exception -- but I assume you're talking about something with a freewheel here?)
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2009, 05:25:42 pm »
How tight does the chain really need to be?  If you don't mind the very slightest hint of slack, it's pretty easy to de-rail 3/16 chain by hand when need be.  And so long as the chain line is straight, I can't see why this should cause problems.  This was the solution when we got our S&S-coupled tandem, anyway -- am I asking for trouble?

James Annan suggested that as well, and since the chainline is perfectly good, I'm thinking maybe it's the right answer.