Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518570 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
There's a couple of farm shops up here have those. One is a dairy with yoghurts etc in it (they also make ice cream but you just help yourself from a chest freezer) and a self service milk bottle filling dispenser.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I learned yesterday that there's an egg vending machine in Oakham...

I buy my eggs from a vending m/c. A tray of 30 for £4.50. 'Free range' too as the hens can get outside of the barn where many thousands of them live.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I know of two milk vending machines in Bristol. One is in a pub car park but the other is inside a normal shop; the point is it allows you to use your own containers, as long as they're the right size, to salve your hippy conscience. I think the milk it vends is organic non-pasteurised. If it isn't, it certainly should be.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I know of two milk vending machines in Bristol. One is in a pub car park but the other is inside a normal shop; the point is it allows you to use your own containers, as long as they're the right size, to salve your hippy conscience. I think the milk it vends is organic non-pasteurised. If it isn't, it certainly should be.

I think it’ll have to be pasteurised in that case

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/raw-drinking-milk
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

Good spot. I'll go down later and have a look at the machine. Never used it and IIRC it's a rather expensive way of buying milk.

Has anyone been using or found any decent low carb breads? I have tried low do and some others, but nothing seems the same. The only thing I have found that are good ate these riveta like breads but its Crisp bread https://keto-supplements.co.uk/product/atkins-low-carb-crispbread-keto-crisp-bread/ and not real fluffy bread. i am really craving bread but need to lower my carbs

Edd

I think it’ll have to be pasteurised in that case

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/raw-drinking-milk

There's a raw milk vending machine on a farm near Bridgend (they also have a meat vending machine), I believe they have to jump through various hoops because of the raw milkness but it is popular and does lovely milk!

I’m a bit ambivalent about raw milk, as my oldest sister (who I never knew) died aged about 6 from tuberculosis of the brain, most likely (as this was in the 1940’s) contracted from infected raw milk.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen

<tapity tap tap> It appears to be at Oakham station. I shall try to visit it weekend after next when I'm up there with The Blokes.
Oakham Station is the location of Oakham Signal Box, the prototype for the Airfix model signal box.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I’m a bit ambivalent about raw milk, as my oldest sister (who I never knew) died aged about 6 from tuberculosis of the brain, most likely (as this was in the 1940’s) contracted from infected raw milk.

I just Tweeted about some bovine TB related deaths of which I knew in a Geronimo thread...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

<tapity tap tap> It appears to be at Oakham station. I shall try to visit it weekend after next when I'm up there with The Blokes.
Oakham Station is the location of Oakham Signal Box, the prototype for the Airfix model signal box.

That explains why it looks like a model one.  Something I've had plenty of time to observe on account of the very long intervals between trains.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #4137 on: 01 September, 2021, 08:52:31 am »
There was a very handy bread vending machine beside a small car park in a village near here.  Now it, and the car park, have been replaced by some kind of bombastic memorial.  Dipshit council they've got.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #4138 on: 08 September, 2021, 09:02:29 pm »
I've just put my first attempt at bread here in the oven of the shit cooker. Will see how that turns out...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4139 on: 08 September, 2021, 10:00:54 pm »
Well it doesn't look bad, I'll see how edible it is tomorrow. Though the oven knob was a random number generator AFAI can work out. Used my thermometer and it was all over the shop.

ian

« Reply #4140 on: 08 September, 2021, 10:57:08 pm »
Making fish cakes Oriental style (honestly, let's call them fancy burgers). This went wrong when I found out I didn't have any red curry paste, but I found lemongrass, so what the hell, lemongrass and ginger, some garlic, cumin, and turmeric. It'll work. No ginger though. Sigh. OK, allspice will do I'm sure. Hmm, I think I meant to add Chinese five-spice.

I'll eat them later and let you know. Yes, I eat my tea at midnight. My mother would be scandalized. Things are like that on the Downs. We are creatures of the night. Who lack ginger.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4141 on: 09 September, 2021, 09:55:05 am »
Making fish cakes Oriental style ... OK, allspice will do I'm sure.

Caribbean-style fishcakes instead, innit. I can imagine it working, as long as you use the right kind of fish.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #4142 on: 09 September, 2021, 10:03:58 am »
It turned out that I didn't have a lot of fish either (there's some smoked haddock, but that might have been a step too far) so I threw in some prawns. They live in the sea too. It's a good job I don't have any whale in the freezer.

The result was quite tasty even though I don't know what it was, but at least I didn't risk inadvertently appropriating anyone's culture. I should have, perhaps, assayed ingredient availability before I started on the path, based solely on finding a stick of lemongrass in the fridge. I do like my somewhat random approach to meal preparation.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4143 on: 09 September, 2021, 10:15:32 am »

I heard about this egg dispenser on Tuesday night, in a Council Planning Meeting. Weird!

We have a dairy locally that dispenses stuff, including milk shakes, I understand...
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4144 on: 09 September, 2021, 05:31:55 pm »
Well it doesn't look bad, I'll see how edible it is tomorrow. Though the oven knob was a random number generator AFAI can work out. Used my thermometer and it was all over the shop.

It was edible  :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4145 on: 11 September, 2021, 03:35:11 pm »
Our Lakeland yoghurt maker seems to have died over the course of the move, which is annoying. I can make yoghurt in the Brod & Taylor proofer but it takes up a lot more worktop space.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4146 on: 14 September, 2021, 06:11:02 pm »
Have found a camenbert made with buffala milk.

Oh is is lush on a day or two old baquette.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4147 on: 14 September, 2021, 07:13:54 pm »
Ogmios, of the School of Zen Motoring (here), has made a salad.
https://youtu.be/oRmcchHZ2zs?t=717

« Reply #4148 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:42:21 am »
Sali par Eeda - Parsi-style egg and chipsticks.  Either with runny yolks or like an omelette.  Just the right amount of chilli, and oodles of coriander over the top.  Gert lush.  :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4149 on: 15 September, 2021, 01:50:47 pm »
Ogmios, of the School of Zen Motoring (here), has made a salad.
https://youtu.be/oRmcchHZ2zs?t=717

Lovely. You've got to know your burdocks.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."