Author Topic: I need a tandem  (Read 22026 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Re: I need a tandem
« Reply #25 on: 23 September, 2008, 01:43:40 am »
Thanks for the advice.

The Orbita was the wrong size anyway.

Currently watching a Dawes Discovery Twin on fleabay...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 23 September, 2008, 09:16:13 am »
That'll go for more, but you'd probably be happier with the purchase.
Getting there...

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #27 on: 24 September, 2008, 09:05:54 pm »
:D :D :D :D :D

Many smiles and much celebration in our household tonight

Dawes Discovery Twin

« Reply #28 on: 24 September, 2008, 09:15:48 pm »
Hurrah! :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 24 September, 2008, 09:16:07 pm »
Many congratulations on the new arrival! :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 24 September, 2008, 09:16:26 pm »
Oh - by the way, they're very addictive ;)
Getting there...

Karen Sutton

« Reply #31 on: 24 September, 2008, 10:48:57 pm »
Congratulations Dan.  I am currently communicating with some families in South Manchester CTC about doing some shortish rides now Liz and I have got the Twosday up and running.  If you want to come along let me know.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 24 September, 2008, 11:44:32 pm »
Another afflicted pair - well done! Will we see you in Northants on 19th Oct?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #33 on: 24 September, 2008, 11:58:46 pm »
Congratulations Dan.  I am currently communicating with some families in South Manchester CTC about doing some shortish rides now Liz and I have got the Twosday up and running.  If you want to come along let me know.

How are you getting on with the Twosday now?

I think we are up for doing some CTC rides, although weekends I have the boys might not be possible.

Another afflicted pair - well done! Will we see you in Northants on 19th Oct?

Could be good, alas we have my sons that weekend. I'm not sure how we would get the Tandem there to start with either!

Karen Sutton

« Reply #34 on: 25 September, 2008, 12:22:08 am »

How are you getting on with the Twosday now?

I'd been putting off riding it through the latter part of August (since we got back from the Birthday Rides).  As you know we didn't take it to the Rides because of a problem with the gears.  Three weeks ago my mechanic (Brian from Withington Cycles who does freelance mobile work) came and sorted it.  (It was a very simple problem which I should have spotted :-[   So then I had no excuses.  I had been putting it off because I've always avoided tandems with two wheels due to  instability when setting off.  When I got it out for a trip to Taekwondo a couple of weeks ago Elizabeth was really excited.  We have now progressed so that we can do hill starts as long as they aren't too steep.  Last weekend I got around to buying bits for it...a mirror (essential), some lights, a bell and a horn.  We can't use it at night yet because I haven't had time to put the lights on this week.   So we're still using the Tandem Trike in the evenings at the moment.

I still feel more vulnerable on the Twosday than on the trike; it's because drivers don't give us as much space.  But the Twosday does go faster.  We can also get more shopping on it as it has front and rear pannier racks whereas the trike can only take a saddlebag (and one pannier in daylight, but it has to come off at night as it obscures the rear lights).

Elizabeth and I are intending to try to do a CTC B ride but only as far as the first cafe stop.  There is one coming up soon which goes to Knutsford for coffee.  I think we may aim for that one as we can combine it with a trip into Tatton Park...very lovely at this time of year.  It starts in Cheadle so not too far from you if you can manage it.

« Reply #35 on: 25 September, 2008, 12:47:31 pm »
We are a vey  ;D now we have a tandem, hmm now just need to learn to ride it and get used to someone else being in charge thats the scary bit for me.

« Reply #36 on: 25 September, 2008, 04:52:10 pm »
...I'm not sure how we would get the Tandem there to start with either!

Ride it  ;D ;D ;D

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #37 on: 25 September, 2008, 08:51:01 pm »
No No No you want a tandem you need a tandem trike :thumbsup:

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #38 on: 25 September, 2008, 08:56:10 pm »
No No No you want a tandem you need a tandem trike :thumbsup:

I can't see it fitting in the hallway!  :'(

« Reply #39 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:10:22 pm »
We are a vey  ;D now we have a tandem, hmm now just need to learn to ride it and get used to someone else being in charge thats the scary bit for me.
Practice doing 'Jazz Hands' when you can hear the cars behind coming too close ;D. Sometimes you can hear the puzzelled braking! :D Look at the flowers and what's up side streets. Chat to pedestrians. Don't forget to tell your pilot if you are going to wiggle. Sit fairly still. Don't try to steer. DON'T SUDDENLY BACKPEDAL WHEN YOU SEE A POSSIBLE TEA ROOM UP A SIDE STREET! :-[ Fondle your captain's bottom, especially when passing queuing cars and other depressed motons. 8)

« Reply #40 on: 26 September, 2008, 07:44:01 am »
Fondle your captain's bottom, especially when passing queuing cars and other depressed motons. 8)

Now that bit I am looking forward to  :demon: ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 26 September, 2008, 11:06:58 am »
Oh - and pilots - warn your stoker before adjusting your seating position. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #42 on: 27 September, 2008, 11:48:56 am »
And put your sunglasses on before starting a descent - the wobbling when you do it at 30 MPH is terrifying. :o

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 28 September, 2008, 06:53:42 pm »
And put your sunglasses on before starting a descent - the wobbling when you do it at 30 MPH is terrifying. :o

Um, yeah - that too. 
Getting there...

rdaviesb

« Reply #44 on: 30 September, 2008, 07:18:52 pm »
Our new tandem is here  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just sorting saddles, position and front handlebars (changing to butterfly), ready for our first voyage this weekend. Piccies to follow

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #45 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:34:45 am »
I'm excited for you!

*fetches camping chair & flask of tea, awaiting pics* ;D
Getting there...

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #46 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:44:06 am »
I'm excited for you!

*fetches camping chair & flask of tea, awaiting pics* ;D

Pictures will be essential to go with this thread!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #47 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:26:56 am »

This also applies to wiping your nose, adjusting your hat, checking your watch and admiring the view.  However, it is a very good way to check that your stoker is concentrating.  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:40:37 am »

This also applies to wiping your nose, adjusting your hat, checking your watch and admiring the view.  However, it is a very good way to check that your stoker is concentrating.  :)

...or awake ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #49 on: 01 October, 2008, 11:22:26 am »
Something else for pilots: farting is best done on fast descents where the wind noise and rapid air flow means the stoker remains unaware.