Author Topic: Mr Simon Watson from the technical department of Windows  (Read 40823 times)

Re: Mr Simon Watson fron the technical department of Windows
« Reply #125 on: 15 March, 2021, 12:19:32 pm »
I got one this morning with what would have been a rather pleasant English woman's voice, but for the jumpiness from splicing words out of the sequence in which they were spoken.

Apparently, my NI number has been used fraudulently somewhere near the border with Wales, & I should contact the National Insurance authorities immediately.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #126 on: 15 March, 2021, 12:35:52 pm »
Now I'm intrigued.  How does one use a NI number fraudulently?  And what happens if you do?  Does Thérèse Coffey come round your house and [“stop right there!” – Ed.].
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #127 on: 15 March, 2021, 12:48:08 pm »
Now I'm intrigued.  How does one use a NI number fraudulently?  And what happens if you do?  Does Thérèse Coffey come round your house and [“stop right there!” – Ed.].
oi, that’s my MP you’re having fantasies about. Hang on, she’s a Tory, ok carry on.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #128 on: 15 March, 2021, 01:17:42 pm »
Even Hummers wouldn’t fantasise about La Coffey.

« Reply #129 on: 15 March, 2021, 01:56:50 pm »
I did wonder (not about Ms Coffey).
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #130 on: 15 March, 2021, 02:34:34 pm »
Bollocks. Now I'm unsure if this is spam or not...

Quote from: Email
Please view and print the attached bill of lading \ invoice.

Thanks

Account Executive

O: 816.949.6842 x6842 | F: 913.643.9252

www.freightquote.com

Additional contacts:
Customer Service Team |  o: 800.323.5441

*************************************************************************************************************************
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the sender of the e-mail. The sender of the e-mail accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. (IP)
*************************************************************************************************************************

And then there's an attachment which I am reluctant to click.

I can't find a reference to that order number anywhere else in my emails.

Edit: I'm treating it as spam for the moment...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #131 on: 15 March, 2021, 02:55:28 pm »
Freight quote. Com appears to be a USA specific freight broker for full / part lorry loads of stuffs. I can't find (on a cursory look) that they have a UK operation, so what's with the 0800 number (unless it forwards to USA)?
It smells like tinned spiced ham to me.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ian

« Reply #132 on: 15 March, 2021, 02:55:40 pm »
It is. Don't.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #133 on: 15 March, 2021, 02:57:13 pm »
Thanks. I have something on order which has to come from foreign climes, but I would expect any relevant emails to actually identify what is there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #134 on: 15 March, 2021, 03:02:39 pm »
It does seem that these scam calls are on the increase - in the past 9 or 10 days my wife and I have ordered 7 iPads from Amazon!!  (Oh, no we haven't) - and Microsoft (from an Oxford phone number) has called a couple of times, our BT account is being shut off tomorrow morning and HMRC want an online payment.  Email "invoices" seem to be starting up again - I get a regular one from some business or other in Southampton.

Ho hum, it brightens these lock-down days.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #135 on: 16 March, 2021, 01:11:16 pm »

Thanks

Account Executive

www.freightquote.com

Additional contacts:

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the sender of the e-mail. The sender of the e-mail accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. (IP)

Looks like a classic trojan.  I'll bet the attachment is something a bit more occuous than a PDF.  Isn't it nice that viruses come with boilerplate disclaimers nowadays?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #136 on: 16 March, 2021, 01:28:56 pm »
Freight quote. Com appears to be a USA specific freight broker for full / part lorry loads of stuffs. I can't find (on a cursory look) that they have a UK operation, so what's with the 0800 number (unless it forwards to USA)?
It smells like tinned spiced ham to me.

There’s no ‘0800’ number on that email. There’s an ‘800’ number, along with ‘816’ and ‘913’. ‘800’ is the US freecall code. The other numbers are also US. I wonder if this is a scam related to Wowsa’s alter-ego participation in the Trump affair?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #137 on: 16 March, 2021, 05:22:15 pm »

Thanks

Account Executive

www.freightquote.com

Additional contacts:

Looks like a classic trojan.  I'll bet the attachment is something a bit more occuous than a PDF.  Isn't it nice that viruses come with boilerplate disclaimers nowadays?

..and I just got one too.  With an .xlsm file attached.  Nothing good can come of Excel macros *gestures in the general direction of the global finance industry*, so I ceremonially deleted it.

« Reply #138 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:25:53 am »
Caller: "Hello, I'm calling from the Microsoft."
Blah blah blah.
Caller: "Can you please check your Windows computer."
Me: "Which one, I have eight ?"
Caller: "Any one, it doesn't matter, they're all connected."

Caller: "We're seeing lots of error messages."
Me: "What do the error messages say ?"
Caller: "They say 'Fuck you'"

:-D
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #139 on: 15 April, 2021, 11:05:54 am »
Last time that happened I told them I did not have a computer.   They probably said fuck you after I put the phone down.  I googled the caller number, Baltimore, Ohio ISTR.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #140 on: 01 June, 2022, 12:56:06 pm »
I see Smile are quick off the mark

smile <redacted>
To:
Mr Larrington <also redacted>
Subject:
New Impersonation Scam - Be Aware

We have been alerted that some customers may have received a phone-call from fraudsters posing as representatives from Amazon and other well-known organisations including BT, HMRC and Microsoft. This is known as an impersonation scam.

Scammers are very clever and will try to persuade you to download software, such as 'Team Viewer' or 'AnyDesk' to your phone or laptop. They may claim there is a security compromise or an issue in relation to a refund on your account that needs attention via the software they have asked you to download.

This software allows the fraudsters to access your device. During the conversation with you, they'll ask you to log in to your online bank account and emails. NEVER log in to your online banking account when anyone else has access to your device, as they can attempt to make payments from your accounts without you realising and stop any message or contact attempts from us to warn you of suspicious activity.

:facepalm:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #141 on: 01 June, 2022, 10:14:13 pm »
For some reason this has reminded me of a Windows 3.11 tool, Dr Watson
But I think that was legit

Re: Mr Simon Watson from the technical department of Windows
« Reply #142 on: 16 September, 2022, 05:26:04 pm »
We're from your ISP's technical department. Your router is infected. Run W3C validator. See all those errors? They're caused by the viruses and invalid files on your router. They're slowing down your connection. We need to fix that. First, download this piece of software . . . . 

From "Thomas" & his colleague in a noisy call centre, in Indian-accented English with snatches of what sounded like Hindi or something similar between them or to colleagues.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #143 on: 16 September, 2022, 08:04:38 pm »
Quote from: hatler
Caller: "Hello, I'm calling from the Microsoft."
Blah blah blah.
Caller: "Can you please check your Windows computer."
The temptation to reply, "I'm sorry, but my windows are manually operated.  Goodbye." would be hard to resist
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #144 on: 16 September, 2022, 08:06:42 pm »
Nah you just put phone down. Wait a while then say, yep done that when you’ve done absolutely nothing. They ask for next action and repeat.

« Reply #145 on: 10 April, 2023, 02:13:50 pm »
Today I got a call allegedly from a UK mobile number that I didn't know and the foreign-sounding lady gave a typical British name and said she was from Microsoft, so I hung up.

About a minute later, she called from a different UK mobile number and asked "Why did I hang up?" so I obviously hung up again.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...