Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 522199 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4625 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:55:27 am »
Oh, well I've just bought three hardcopies for a tenner  :thumbsup:

If you've just done it you might be able to swap for virtual brevets?
Thanks, will probably just keep the hard copies as I'm sure they'll come in handy one day!

« Reply #4626 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:58:30 am »
I’ve only used virtual brevet cards.

For the controls, if riding from/to home I use the postcode, then name a small village or 2 as the intermediate controls. The last bit is a tick in the box exercise, it doesn’t impact your ride if you are validating by GPS and following a mandatory route.

Check emails that the SE Organiser might send you if you enter virtually rather than using the physical brevet, as he has a new process for inputting details of DIY rides using a Google form. It’s straightforward, and is clearly explained in the email that he’ll send.
OK, thanks - I may now just use the hardcopy ones as suggested by Phil, but this is good to know anyway and gives me options.

« Reply #4627 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:59:29 am »
Hello all,
Sorry to completely derail things but I am entering a DIY (Kingdom of the East Saxons) and I've go to the bit where it asks for the controls. It says:
Brevet Route Details
All routes include a start control,  one or more intermediate controls, and the end control.

Normally there will be at least one control every 50-80km along the route (a 50km brevet should have at least one intermediate control).

Controls are recorded as place names, landmarks, postcodes, etc. The control names should be 'Googleable', i.e., 'Malmesbury',  'Hobnobs Cafe, Swindon', 'Symonds Yat', etc.  Controls such as 'The third lamp post on the right', 'junction of 3rd and 52nd street will be rejected.

Enter the controls either one per line (preferred) or as one line with each control separated by a semi-colon (';')

DO NOT include control numbers, intermediate distances, or map references.

FAQ: I'm validating by GPS, so why do I need controls? Answer: to comply with Audax UK  regulations and more specifically, to help the organizer document your ride and deal with any questions that may arise.

So, do I just enter all the controls off of the route sheet? What about info controls, or do I just list the controls that i can get proof of passage from, like a receipt?
Sorry, I'm new to all this. ???

I was going to say just enter the perm. Having checked it doesn’t show as a perm.  Yes just enter the controls on the route sheet as they are known to work. With a physical card you’ll need to collect receipts at start / end control and all the intermediate ones.  Once ridden successfully you’ll be need ensure brevet card completed and send it with receipts to the organiser you bought brevet off.  I usually photocopy brevet and receipts before sticking in post.

You can’t do infos on a DIY. So you’ll need to check nearest place with shop, put those down as the control instead of info location, and adjust route accordingly
Thanks, Phil - that sounds like a plan!

« Reply #4628 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:48:06 am »
Just had my second jab at Colchester Footy ground. For the first jab I had a lovely young lady guide me through the process. I was expecting the same again. Imagine my trepidation, therefore, at being faced not by a lovely helpful young person, but by a rather confused looking Carlos.
I'm now worried that I've had a jab - but possibly for polio, MMR, or even Feline Enteritis.
Either way, good to see you Carlos!
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #4629 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:54:27 am »
Just had my second jab at Colchester Footy ground. For the first jab I had a lovely young lady guide me through the process. I was expecting the same again. Imagine my trepidation, therefore, at being faced not by a lovely helpful young person, but by a rather confused looking Carlos.
I'm now worried that I've had a jab - but possibly for polio, MMR, or even Feline Enteritis.

You've side-stepped the crucial question. Which was the better experience?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

felstedrider

« Reply #4630 on: 05 July, 2021, 12:01:55 pm »

Just been for my second.   Rolled up to the place where my first happened and the address on my booking (Avanti School BS) to see a confused looking security guard.   Centre has moved to the football ground apparently.   Good bit of advance warning there.   I wasn't the only one.

« Reply #4631 on: 05 July, 2021, 12:25:56 pm »
The better experience? Seeing Carlos, of course!
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4632 on: 05 July, 2021, 12:43:31 pm »

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #4633 on: 05 July, 2021, 01:43:48 pm »
The better experience? Seeing Carlos, of course!

He must have had his nurses uniform on and warm hands then 😆

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4634 on: 05 July, 2021, 08:05:23 pm »

It was good to see you Nick, I was rather confused, I thought I recognized you, but you weren't dressed in lycra! Normal clothes do suit you.

I'm sorry I wasn't as glamorous as you expected, but I'm sure a young immuniser took care of you shortly after my evaluation. (I was kind, I didn't even specify the extra large needles).

Have a good evening, I hope the side effects don't get you.

« Reply #4635 on: 06 July, 2021, 11:17:17 pm »

Just been for my second.   Rolled up to the place where my first happened and the address on my booking (Avanti School BS) to see a confused looking security guard.   Centre has moved to the football ground apparently.   Good bit of advance warning there.   I wasn't the only one.

Sorry about that - we found out relatively late when they want the school back; and it was difficult to get in contact with everyone who booked some time ago. Hopefully, it didn't delay you too much.

« Reply #4636 on: 06 July, 2021, 11:36:07 pm »
OK, I decided to do the mandatory route, so purchased a virtual brevet, uploaded my route that I found on RWGPS, and filled the form in with controls.
Hopefully it'll all go ahead on Sat. :thumbsup:
Thanks to all for the guidance.

« Reply #4637 on: 07 July, 2021, 05:54:43 am »
OK, I decided to do the mandatory route, so purchased a virtual brevet, uploaded my route that I found on RWGPS, and filled the form in with controls.

Hope you have a good ride.

I find mandatory route DIYs good from a simple admin perspective and the ability to choose quieter routes. One thing to note, if you find you need to deviate from the route, for instance due to a road closure that is impassable, then include the details when you submit the ride. If it is less than 200m from the original route then it would be validated in any case, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4638 on: 07 July, 2021, 01:43:48 pm »
I was thinking of chucking my leg over a cross bar sometime on Sunday and going for a spin.  No specific plans, does anyone fancy joining me?

« Reply #4639 on: 07 July, 2021, 01:54:57 pm »

Hope you have a good ride.

I find mandatory route DIYs good from a simple admin perspective and the ability to choose quieter routes. One thing to note, if you find you need to deviate from the route, for instance due to a road closure that is impassable, then include the details when you submit the ride. If it is less than 200m from the original route then it would be validated in any case, but I tend to err on the side of caution.
Many thanks - not heard anything yet but I suppose he'll be in touch. Good tip about deviating from the route and I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
Nick.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4640 on: 07 July, 2021, 06:03:26 pm »

:thumbsup: Have a good ride Nick!

« Reply #4641 on: 07 July, 2021, 09:58:24 pm »
Thank you, Tom - really looking forward to it!

« Reply #4642 on: 09 July, 2021, 10:30:47 am »
OK, been looking over the route. Just occured to me, do I need to pass through places (controls) at certain times or just complete the whole route within a certain time? I am guessing the latter. Sorry for all the questions!

Hope those of you who were out last night had a good one!

Nick.

« Reply #4643 on: 09 July, 2021, 10:35:24 am »
OK, been looking over the route. Just occured to me, do I need to pass through places (controls) at certain times or just complete the whole route within a certain time? I am guessing the latter. Sorry for all the questions!

Hope those of you who were out last night had a good one!

Nick.

The latter, the validation only considers if you finished within the permitted time. Given your normal speed, unless you are planning a long stop somewhere on route, you'll be fine to ride without worrying about the end time.

« Reply #4644 on: 09 July, 2021, 10:39:30 am »
Ah, thanks for confirming that.

So as long as I keep my average speed above 15kmh (and do my best to keep it below 30 ;) ), I'll be okay!

« Reply #4645 on: 09 July, 2021, 11:33:33 am »
More or less. I think it's actually 14 hours for a 200km, plus a bit extra if you are over-distance. So you could slow down to an average of 14.3kph if the 15kph was a bit too pacy!

« Reply #4646 on: 09 July, 2021, 11:48:18 am »
...you could slow down to an average of 14.3kph if the 15kph was a bit too pacy!

Could happen :-D Just deleting all the control points and tidying up the map. I see I pass The Lamarsh Lion, our choice of ale house before the ACME boys took me on my inaugural bivvy fest! Might have a pint there.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4647 on: 09 July, 2021, 03:30:56 pm »
...you could slow down to an average of 14.3kph if the 15kph was a bit too pacy!

Could happen :-D Just deleting all the control points and tidying up the map. I see I pass The Lamarsh Lion, our choice of ale house before the ACME boys took me on my inaugural bivvy fest! Might have a pint there.

The guys there are always please to see a cyclist and serve them a pint! :) Good luck on the ride though I am sure you wont need it!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4648 on: 09 July, 2021, 11:03:23 pm »
Thanks! Hopefully I won't get too wet. Live track at the link below if anybnody's interested.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/50b8-3d977d0-a1ec/view

Cheers! :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4649 on: 10 July, 2021, 07:50:30 pm »
Thanks! Hopefully I won't get too wet. Live track at the link below if anybnody's interested.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/50b8-3d977d0-a1ec/view

Cheers!
Evening scran in Colchester?
Regards,

Joergen