Author Topic: Your top five weirdest films  (Read 14943 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Your top five weirdest films
« Reply #25 on: 15 July, 2008, 11:31:12 am »
In no particular order (and yes, I know there's only four suggestions!):

Black Cat, White Cat
Walkabout
Heavenly Creatures
The Wicker Man
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #26 on: 15 July, 2008, 11:32:38 am »
Black Cat White Cat! I'd forgotten about that - brilliant and mad.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #27 on: 15 July, 2008, 11:34:43 am »

I didn't realise how weird it would be and therefore didn't really enjoy it.  Maybe it would be better if I watched it again.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #28 on: 15 July, 2008, 11:37:15 am »
The music is excellent too.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #29 on: 15 July, 2008, 11:38:05 am »
Repo Man

Not on my weird list, but I would put it very high on my "cool" list ;D
Pen Pusher

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #30 on: 15 July, 2008, 11:46:43 am »

Sadly, I've never heard of it but sounds worth a go. Especially as I see from imdb that it's one of Emir Kusturica's and I love his music (with The No-Smoking Orchestra - wonderfully bonkers).
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Really Ancien

« Reply #31 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:09:58 pm »
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned The Wizard of Oz, probably because it is so familiar, but deeply odd.

Damon.

« Reply #32 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:19:01 pm »
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned The Wizard of Oz, probably because it is so familiar, but deeply odd.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #33 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:21:33 pm »
That's just deeply awful.

Mind you, it does have rampling Charlotte in it...
There's no vibrations, but wait.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #34 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:23:13 pm »
Zardoz, totally forgotten about that! When I was at school Saturday night was film night for the boarders when we were shown a film. This was about the third one that I saw. At the age of 11. Suddenly being away from home didn't seem that bad :D

bikenerd

« Reply #35 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:28:25 pm »
That reminds me: Dark Crystal.  Now that is a scary film for a child!

gonzo

« Reply #36 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:29:41 pm »
Oh come on. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas people!

Hallucinations are bad enough. But after a while you learn to cope with things like seeing your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth.

I'd rate the polar express as up there too, but that could have just been a rubbish film!

« Reply #37 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:30:46 pm »
I've seen two films (can't remember the titles) that feature a special effect in which the screen flickers to a halt whereupon a black spot grows from the centre and turns into a white centred ring. The lights come up, everyone chats, then the lights go down again and the film recommences.

Then there was Superman versus the Stain. Seen in a Newcastle cinema many years ago. The screen was just white paint on the end wall. There was a thunderstorm, the cinema leaked, and the picture was gradually obliterated by a spreading brown stain.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #38 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:41:54 pm »
I've seen two films (can't remember the titles) that feature a special effect in which the screen flickers to a halt whereupon a black spot grows from the cntre and turns into a white centred ring. The lights come up, everyone chats, then the lights go down again and the film recommences.
That'll be The Ring, or Ringu then...

Then there was Superman versus the Stain. Seen in a Newcastle cinema many years ago. The screen was just white paint on the end wall. There was a thunderstorm, the cinema leaked, and the picture was gradually obliterated by a spreading brown stain.
Is that what they call "Immersive Cinema"?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #39 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:44:05 pm »
1.  A Scanner Darkly

Can't think of any more :P

Nienke

« Reply #40 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:51:19 pm »
Delicatessen
Dancer in the dark (and what's the other von Trier one with the wedding? and Dogville! god that was boring)
Dogma
anything by Tim Burton
O brother where art thou

which reminds me that I want to watch fargo

« Reply #41 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:51:54 pm »
Oh, I just remembered the weirdest EVER - Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle, 5 films in a series. I went to see all five in one hit at the Ritzy in Brixton. We smuggled in some illicit substances and it was easily the weirdest time I've ever had in a cinema.

Here's a still, to give you some idea: (slightly NWS)
(click to show/hide)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #42 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:52:18 pm »

Reminds me when I was watching a vampire film in Sunderland during a rain storm. Some one had put their soaking wet coat to dry on the edge of the inner circle, during a particular horror scene it slipped and landed in the stalls. The noise and panic of a large wet black flappy thing landing on half a dozen Wearsiders was so intense they stopped the film
A shitter and a giggler.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #43 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:58:53 pm »
anything by Tim Burton (but especially
O brother where art thou

which reminds me that I want to watch fargo
Don't you mean the Coen Brothers???
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Nienke

« Reply #44 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:00:20 pm »
Oops.

I did mean Tim Burton, I just forgot to finish my sentence after I'd decided that they were all weird so there should not be an 'especially'

« Reply #45 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:03:11 pm »
Being bored in grim, rain-swept Preston, I went to the Ritz Cinema and paid 1/6 for a stalls seat. 2001, A Space Odyssey was on: tiny scratchy picture in the distance, the smell of damp raincoats around me. It came to the scene where the astronaut is trying to close HAL, the computer down. HAL started singing Daisy, Daisy and I heard quavery voices striking up around me. A scattering of OAPs had also sought shelter from the rain, and were singing along with the music.

« Reply #46 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:13:20 pm »

'Man Bites Dog' then.

I was wondering if anyone would mention Man Bites Dog...I found bits of that quite funny, in a dark kind of way.

In the hotel the other day, there was a cartoon film on the telly, about an old woman with a dog whose grandson was a cyclist in the Tour de France, and he got kidnapped. 'The triplets of Belleville'. I only started watching it cos it had cycling in it...

« Reply #47 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:30:12 pm »
Save the Blue Planet
Old Boy
Secretary
Crash (the one with disfigured people in it)
Mulholland Drive
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #48 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:31:37 pm »
any James Bond film
any "Romantic Comedy"  :sick:

both of which also qualify in the Crap category, as does any film with Hayden Christensen in it...
Profit or planet?

bikenerd

« Reply #49 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:34:28 pm »
Old Boy

I wish I'd never seen Old Boy.  It's the kind of film I just don't need to have in any corner of my mind.