Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 522171 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4175 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:13:05 am »
#1 okay. Will try not to over do it this evening  ::-)

« Reply #4176 on: 31 October, 2020, 05:47:30 pm »
#4 has bike fettled and ready to go. Choccy snacks purchased and sandwiches will be made in the morning...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4177 on: 31 October, 2020, 05:50:37 pm »
#2 almost ready to go, final loading of bar bag* with food rations in the morning.

*bar bag only really necessary for route sheets to be checked.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #4178 on: 31 October, 2020, 06:17:41 pm »
The one we usually go to - not aware of another we have been to? Stow Maries

Got it.  There's a PoW in Great Totham.
My ex colleague’s pub (her boyfriend is the landlord) and they are definitely open. Spent lockdown doing a lot of painting and maintenance works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4179 on: 01 November, 2020, 06:04:52 pm »
That’s an idea Tomsk. A cross border foray would mean an indoor setting, and Toby’s dad is out next week.

The Fox and Hounds in Clavering would also be a good option.

Clavering is in Essex. The border is about a mile before it, near Starling’s Green.

« Reply #4180 on: 05 November, 2020, 10:44:35 am »
Fin de Cycle

Whatever your views on Lockdown v2.0 at least HMG took EER's Wednesday outings into account when they set the date.

So it was that we assembled one last time before being confined once again.

The Odd One Out, our chosen venue, is a special place for Fandango and me - we both made our MEMWNs debuts there.  Ah, those far off heady days when we were younger, less grey and allowed to meet indoors.  Fandango made rather more of an impact than me though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFhs-AoM9H8&feature=youtu.be

(any excuse to regurgitate that clip  ;D)

I was there first, which is a first.  I was soon joined by Jemango, Able Seaman Goldstein (demoted due to insubordination - ie making comments about my natural insulation  :o), Sven Fröttager and the Blasé Brewer.

In retrospect, the Oddie would have been a better choice two weeks ago when it was mild.  At 1.5 degrees sitting outside is not ideal, particularly when there is a roaring fire in the snug which is just visible through the window.  Fortunately they had a decent selection of beer on and, even more fortunately for us but not, alas, them, it was all being sold off at £3 a pint.

We sampled Poco Loco by Chelmsford Brewery, No 1 by Colchester Brewery and Motropelican (which is how Fandango pronounces metropolitan).  In the absence of our third committee member, we co-opted Goldstein on to the Quaffers' Choice Committee and our unanimous decision on the Quaffers' Choice was Poco Loco which was something of a shame as they ran out of it during the course of the evening.

I know we talked about something because I recall plenty of laughter.  We also had the mandatory visit from the landlord towards the end of the evening.  Other than having to sit outdoors, it was a buzzy and busy evening at the Oddie and it just seemed so wrong to be throwing us out into the literal cold at 10pm with no prospect of an early return. 

It was probably a mistake not to take the path through the garrison rather than the main road home given the ten o'clock rush hour but it soon calmed down and I had a windless but cold ride back offshore.  It is easy to say you will keep riding on a Wednesday evening but harder to follow through on when there is no prospect of good company and good ale to drag you out of the house.  Let's just hope Essex County Council can make good on their intention to move into Tier One on the 3rd of December.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4181 on: 05 November, 2020, 12:34:20 pm »
Fin de Cycle

Whatever your views on Lockdown v2.0 at least HMG took EER's Wednesday outings into account when they set the date.

The end of yet another chapter in the MEMWNS saga.

Whatever your views on Lockdown v2.0 at least HMG took EER's Wednesday outings into account when they set the date, and the posse heading for The Spiritual Home were just fine too thank you very much, but the Rule of Six left me and Oaky out in the cold, literally  >:(

The Cross Keys at Nounsley seemed like an obviously choice, I arrived a few minutes after 2000 hours having amused myself with the slopes of The Mighty North Hill.  Oaky had arrived from home a little before me, had been advised to pick any free table in the marquee and availed of the fact to pub was running out of beer, which was annoying but understandable given pubs won't want to be sitting on stock over the coming month.  There was no proper beer, they did have cider and Guinness so that's what we started on.

After one round panic began to set in, the pub seemed busy so what would happened if they really did run out of beer  :o  We solved the problem by ordering a double round, I got the last of the Guinness - phew!  This was followed by round #4, more cider for Oaky and G&T for me.  The cold Guinness and ice cold G&T was taking its toll, I was freezing, I was now wearing all my clothing, Oaky was too...

Thus far we'd had a lovely evening, chatting about this and that, watching other customers try and fail to social distance, there were clearly groups of six intermingling  ::-)  And there was a table of girls celebrating an 18th birthday with much enthusiasm.   

Our evening then took a more sinister turn.  Oaky announced he needed a wee, I suggested we have a whisky chaser to ward off the cold, Oaky said he stop by the bar on his way back from the loo.  He arrived back at our table looking smug under his mask.  "I couldn't decide between whisky and brandy so I've ordered both!"  After 3 pints of Guinness and a G&T I was already on the pissed side of merry.  After two further measures of spirits I was proper pissed...

I remember little of our short ride home.  I remember it being cold, I remember wending my way onto the A12 cycle path from Hatty P and not riding the wrong way up the A12.  I remember trying not to fall off the bridge over the A12 just past the cattery, I remember wobbling off the pavement as I left the bridge causing an oncoming car to slow to avoid me, I remember walking to the junction opposite the garage where Oaky was waiting for me.  When I got home, amazingly in one piece, my face mask was attached to my helmet light, it must have been fluttering like flag all the way home.

Perhaps its just as well we're going into lockdown, I might stand a chance of saving myself from myself.  And Oaky might have less opportunity of leading me astray as he has done so many times in the years we have known each other.  But it was great fun, thank you Oaky  :-*

« Reply #4182 on: 05 November, 2020, 01:43:04 pm »
It was good of you to include the homeless chap with the blue hood and furry hat - very warm-spirited of you both.

« Reply #4183 on: 05 November, 2020, 01:50:16 pm »
Maybe Tier 1 for Essex on 3rd December is not so unlikely:

https://www.essex.gov.uk/local-outbreak-control-plan/data-cases-in-essex-by-district

If you remove the outliers (Brentwood and Epping Forest), it looks even more positive.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4184 on: 05 November, 2020, 02:02:56 pm »
It was good of you to include the homeless chap with the blue hood and furry hat - very warm-spirited of you both.

Our spirit was the only thing that might have been warm  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4185 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:32:12 pm »
Has there been any discussion of moving Audaxes to Zwift (or Rouvy or whatever) for the duration? Not for the points or anything serious, but just to keep the social riding going.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4186 on: 12 November, 2020, 07:17:24 pm »
OD and I had a sociable ride last night, meeting at Thistley Green. I had reversed his Little Dunmow-bound route, then after our 'Dr Livingstone' moment made a u-turn and following the route with him the right way round. Later on I peeled off to Great Leighs and headed home via the Beetles and Leez Priory. 33 miles in total and back about 45 minutes before the rain started! Maybe more out to play next week?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4187 on: 12 November, 2020, 07:37:15 pm »
OD and I had a sociable ride last night, meeting at Thistley Green. I had reversed his Little Dunmow-bound route, then after our 'Dr Livingstone' moment made a u-turn and following the route with him the right way round. Later on I peeled off to Great Leighs and headed home via the Beetles and Leez Priory. 33 miles in total and back about 45 minutes before the rain started! Maybe more out to play next week?

Yes, it was a very pleasant spin and grand to meet up with Tomsk. We both enjoyed seeing a rather beautiful fox cross the road in front of us. Traffic was noticeably lighter but I saw a couple of cars parked up with folks sat in them doing who knows what and a camper van obviously parked up for the night.

The only slight negative was the rather old batteries in my Hope One died about 2 miles from home, fortunately my back up front light got me home. Dakota is now equipped with a new IQ-X powered by one of Imelda Marcos’ dynohubs.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4188 on: 13 November, 2020, 03:47:29 pm »
Going to have a go at the Oyster route this Sunday all being well - light showers and a bit of a breezy forecast ... (edit) starting Railway Tavern at 08:00.

And in Nature Notes, after seeing the fox on Wednesday I was saying to OD that I haven't met a stag on the look-out for ladies this rutting season, but on my way back from Margaret Roding yesterday one appeared right by the road, stood his ground and eyed me up for a fight. A big young buck with only little prongy antlers, but he's going to be a bold handsome beast in a few years. Along the River Can at the back of High Easter seems to be a good spot to see deer - plenty of dense cover in the woods in the valley and running water too of course - several sightings of herds with this year's young about there recently.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4189 on: 15 November, 2020, 04:59:17 pm »
Well that was character-building! I wimped out of the Oyster, having ridden to Kelvedon in a massive downpour - from the wind direction I was probably keeping pace with the heaviest band of rain for a time. Visibility down to a few yards at times, especially through Braintree; so bad even the cars were proceeding at a snail's pace! As it wasn't that cold and slightly less biblical, I rode down to Maldon and had a snack in one of the Promenade Park shelters, then headed back via Danbury and Boreham, Pleshey etc. Some spectacular floods, with strong tea-coloured waterfalls off the fields and the Chelmer looking quite high. My feet were already very wet, so riding through was quite liberating, as I was beyond caring. Although from the occasional wiffs, it wasn't all just plain water ... 55 miles but home for a late elevenses and a catchup of the Euro Track Champs.  :thumbsup: :D

« Reply #4190 on: 15 November, 2020, 05:08:25 pm »
I had considered joining you, but on seeing the detailed forecast on Saturday I wimped out before I got on the bike!

Kudos for 55 miles in that weather :thumbsup:

Well that was character-building! I wimped out of the Oyster, having ridden to Kelvedon in a massive downpour - from the wind direction I was probably keeping pace with the heaviest band of rain for a time. Visibility down to a few yards at times, especially through Braintree; so bad even the cars were proceeding at a snail's pace! As it wasn't that cold and slightly less biblical, I rode down to Maldon and had a snack in one of the Promenade Park shelters, then headed back via Danbury and Boreham, Pleshey etc. Some spectacular floods, with strong tea-coloured waterfalls off the fields and the Chelmer looking quite high. My feet were already very wet, so riding through was quite liberating, as I was beyond caring. Although from the occasional wiffs, it wasn't all just plain water ... 55 miles but home for a late elevenses and a catchup of the Euro Track Champs.  :thumbsup: :D
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

rob

« Reply #4191 on: 15 November, 2020, 05:33:44 pm »
I did my weekend miles yesterday after designing a route to get some squares.  I underestimated the lumpiness, the laniness and, err, the weather.  I was home about an hour later than estimated.

Today was lay in and family walk day, although I did finally decide to sort out getting on for 30 years of brevet cards.  There was a decent weather window midday until approx 3pm.

« Reply #4192 on: 16 November, 2020, 08:33:40 am »
Blimey Tom, being out yesterday morning definitely goes with your Reputation as the ACME Chuck Norris  ;D

I had planned on a long walk with Dora but when I opened the door to check even she turned away in disgust at the conditions. Instead, I cleaned my bike and put a new chain on it (at which point I found out that the great deal I got on Miche Track chains has a flaw, they are only 100 links and I needed 102....just as well they were cheap and I sacrificed the second one to provide extra links).

Got a 10k walk in after the garage was clear and bike was sorted, just in time for the afternoon showers!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4193 on: 19 November, 2020, 07:33:28 am »
Did my little loop to High Easter and waited a bit at Flitch Green - should've checked the forum at the last minute as OD wasn't out.  :'(  Still, a lovely starry night with a good view of Mars riding high. Back down the route and met psyclist and elliotthj at Onslow Green for a chat, socially distanced, across the lane of course. The flood on the North End road wasn't too bad - right across but about an inch deep on the crown of the road.

Dunmow's twinkly Christmas lights were on in the High Street and quite a other few places lit up early, or maybe using Divali last weekend as an excuse. There a loads more lights added this year at Brick House Farm on Ongar Road, Margaret Roding (where I work a couple of days/week), worth swinging by there one evening maybe?

rob

« Reply #4194 on: 19 November, 2020, 08:25:42 am »
The flood on the North End road wasn't too bad - right across but about an inch deep on the crown of the road.

You could ride through on a dry bit first thing this morning.   Still a bit of water either side but it's mostly gone.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4195 on: 19 November, 2020, 08:26:52 am »
Did my little loop to High Easter and waited a bit at Flitch Green - should've checked the forum at the last minute as OD wasn't out...

Yes sorry about that REAL LIFE TM  >:(

Perhaps next week, REAL LIFE TM permitting, I meet up with you somewhere and you can give us a tour of the twinkly lights you've spotted.  Twinkly lights are one of the few bits of the festive season I actually like.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4196 on: 19 November, 2020, 06:08:30 pm »
Witham-Margaret Roding-Witham on a nice laney route, is roughly a 36-40 mile round trip. Gt Waltham or Howe Street is about equidistant between Witham and Dunmow for us, assuming the same start time from home.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4197 on: 19 November, 2020, 07:43:09 pm »
Witham-Margaret Roding-Witham on a nice laney route, is roughly a 36-40 mile round trip. Gt Waltham or Howe Street is about equidistant between Witham and Dunmow for us, assuming the same start time from home.

Just give me a rendezvous point and I’ll meet you there. You can either drop me back there following our Tour de Twinkly Lights or I can get the Wahoooooooo to get me home.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4198 on: 20 November, 2020, 05:06:23 pm »

Just give me a rendezvous point and I’ll meet you there. You can either drop me back there following our Tour de Twinkly Lights or I can get the Wahoooooooo to get me home.

Sounds like a good plan! The Beehive at Great Waltham's a good spot to wait, with benches and shelter if needed. Then off down Mashbury Road to Good Easter and Margaret Roding; u-turn at the Illuminated Farm and back via a parallel route through Pleshey and Howe Street? Gt Waltham is around 9-12 miles from both Dunmow and Witham, depending on route choices of course. If I leave at 19:00 and go via Barnston, Bishops Green, Stagden Cross, Pleshey and Waltham Bury, that's about 12 miles for me - should be there before 20:00.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4199 on: 24 November, 2020, 09:29:09 am »

Sounds like a good plan! The Beehive at Great Waltham's a good spot to wait, with benches and shelter if needed. Then off down Mashbury Road to Good Easter and Margaret Roding; u-turn at the Illuminated Farm and back via a parallel route through Pleshey and Howe Street? Gt Waltham is around 9-12 miles from both Dunmow and Witham, depending on route choices of course. If I leave at 19:00 and go via Barnston, Bishops Green, Stagden Cross, Pleshey and Waltham Bury, that's about 12 miles for me - should be there before 20:00.

OK, Real Life TM seems to be abating a little so I should be OK for tomorrow evening.  I'll leave Witham at 7ish and head straight for the Beehive.