Author Topic: Pain on lower inside of knee - Cleat alignment or impact?  (Read 1673 times)

Pain on lower inside of knee - Cleat alignment or impact?
« on: 20 December, 2022, 11:38:56 am »

I've got mild pain on the lower inside of my left knee. I've had it for a couple of weeks. It's not really bad enough to seek medical attention but i would like to fix it.

I'm not sure what caused it, as two things happened at about the same time, but my research doesn't really suggest either is a likely cause:

1. I did a ride with new cleats that had very slightly too little heel-in adjustment.
2. My hand slipped while I was lifting myself up from a kneeling position, so I fell, landing on my knee from maybe six inches high.

If I can decide which was the cause, I can work on fixing it now easily! Any thoughts welcome?

Re: Pain on lower inside of knee - Cleat alignment or impact?
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2022, 10:57:34 am »
I am tempted to say cleats. Have a go on flats, if possible, and see if it eases off.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2022, 12:39:19 pm »
IANAGP, but as you landed on your knee with a lot of bodyweight, I'd say the fall caused the pain.
Use something like Ibuprofen gel and take some paracetamols (read the instructions on the packet) and see what the knee feels like in a 3 - 4 days.

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2023, 02:06:01 pm »
I researched it a bit more and I think it was the cleats. 
I have been riding flats since, but they have led to other issues, so time to get my dremel out and fix the float.