Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636811 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5775 on: 29 November, 2021, 03:15:30 pm »

I am used to our getting the first snowfall on the 30th November. To wake up to this view on the 29th is close enough.
I see that and I'm thinking how warm and snug it was in flats of that sort.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5776 on: 29 November, 2021, 03:53:26 pm »
In Germany our flat was just above the CH room so we hardly needed the radiators.  At the end of the year the landlord was very suspicious until we explained, and then he suggested we instead make a contribution to some Christian Action bunch he belonged to. Lech mich doch.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5777 on: 29 November, 2021, 04:14:30 pm »
I see that and I'm thinking how warm and snug it was in flats of that sort.

Being on the 2nd floor we never need to turn the heating on because the flat beneath us keeps us warm.
That was my experience too.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5778 on: 29 November, 2021, 04:21:47 pm »
Being on the 2nd floor we never need to turn the heating on because the flat beneath us keeps us warm.
That was my experience too.

Being on the top floor, we don't get enough benefit from downstairs to make up for the fact we have a giant flat roof above us :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5779 on: 30 November, 2021, 03:50:48 pm »
Today on the Alsace/Lorraine border:

Roads just beginning to get a bit skiddy.  OK lower down, this was at 400m.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5780 on: 30 November, 2021, 04:06:41 pm »
Our friends that moved just after we did, but out into the country have had no electric or water since storm Arwen. I did suggest when we went to see their house and noted that it only had electric heating that maybe they might want to consider a wood burning stove...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5781 on: 30 November, 2021, 09:00:17 pm »
No so much the weekend's snow, but more the wind and the cold.  I have a small Calor gas heater for when I'm doing my sax practice in our conservatory when it's cold.  The 4.5kg Calor gas bottle doubles up as the heat source for a picnic stove for when we have a power cut, so at least I can have a brew and a hot meal.

I knew the bottle was about empty, and lo, on Saturday morning when I needed it, it was indeed empty.  Nipped down to the local garage, where I get the refills: sorry sir, we don't have any, maybe Tuesday.  Went into town to a couple of places I thought would have some, but by then they were closing so came home empty handed.

Checked the Calor gas website and found a dozen or so suppliers within 10 miles.  Rang them all.  Only one had any stock and they were a caravan site and would not sell me one.  Turns out there is a national shortage of Calor Gas because they can't get the bottles.  Even if you have a bottle, as I did, you can't get a refill.  The staycationers bought up the UK supply of bottles this summer for their caravans and campervans and they've yet to be replaced.

I did manage to find a supplier on Monday, however.  Sax practice has resumed.  I cant play with cold fingers.....

Who knew?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5782 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:17:35 am »
Our friends that moved just after we did, but out into the country have had no electric or water since storm Arwen. I did suggest when we went to see their house and noted that it only had electric heating that maybe they might want to consider a wood burning stove...

When the power went out for three days after our 1999 hurricane we cooked on the kitchen wood-burning fireplace.  Kinda awkward but the steak was marvellous.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5783 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:48:40 am »
No so much the weekend's snow, but more the wind and the cold.  I have a small Calor gas heater for when I'm doing my sax practice in our conservatory when it's cold.  The 4.5kg Calor gas bottle doubles up as the heat source for a picnic stove for when we have a power cut, so at least I can have a brew and a hot meal.

I knew the bottle was about empty, and lo, on Saturday morning when I needed it, it was indeed empty.  Nipped down to the local garage, where I get the refills: sorry sir, we don't have any, maybe Tuesday.  Went into town to a couple of places I thought would have some, but by then they were closing so came home empty handed.

Checked the Calor gas website and found a dozen or so suppliers within 10 miles.  Rang them all.  Only one had any stock and they were a caravan site and would not sell me one.  Turns out there is a national shortage of Calor Gas because they can't get the bottles.  Even if you have a bottle, as I did, you can't get a refill.  The staycationers bought up the UK supply of bottles this summer for their caravans and campervans and they've yet to be replaced.

I did manage to find a supplier on Monday, however.  Sax practice has resumed.  I cant play with cold fingers.....

Who knew?
Can you play in pogies?

;D ::-) <GDR>

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #5784 on: 01 December, 2021, 12:55:38 pm »
Sax practice has resumed.  I cant play with cold fingers.....

Who knew?

One of the good things about playing tuba is that it's possible to play in reasonably chunky gloves - coupled with a plastic mouthpiece, even better!

When it gets really cold, I just break out the bass trombone and ski mittens - one of the bonuses of being a low brass multi-instrumentalist!  ;) :D
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #5785 on: 01 December, 2021, 05:24:13 pm »
Always wondered why brass bands were popular in The North  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5786 on: 01 December, 2021, 05:39:57 pm »
Jan's sister has been without power since Arwen visited. 1000' up in the hills near Burnley.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #5787 on: 01 December, 2021, 05:46:37 pm »
Always wondered why brass bands were popular in The North  :-D

Aye, 20-odd of us (some very odd!) huddled together for warmth!  ;)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5788 on: 02 December, 2021, 09:33:15 am »
There’s white stuff floating down from the sky here in the Angles of the East. I hesitate to say it’s snowing though, because it’s really rather sparse.

Well, that didn’t last long. I don’t think,I’m going to,need the snow chains.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #5789 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:03:40 am »
We had a slight, and unexpected, dusting in the early hours. It did lay a bit, it certainly made our village road very slippery.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #5790 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:05:30 am »
Light flakes in London around 0545 while cycling for an early train.

« Reply #5791 on: 02 December, 2021, 12:43:35 pm »
A few flakes fell onto platform 1 at Forest Hill Station while I waited for the 06:09 to Highbury & Islington this morning.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5792 on: 02 December, 2021, 04:48:30 pm »
Quite a few showers today, snow still lying now.

IMG_9269_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5793 on: 03 December, 2021, 10:13:46 am »
Jan's sister has been without power since Arwen visited. 1000' up in the hills near Burnley.

We had quite a long natter yesterday evening. She has a diesel generator parked outside providing her with electrons. She opened the curtains to show me her gennie, and it looked to be about the size of a railway truck.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5794 on: 05 December, 2021, 10:39:30 am »
It's been snowing in Finland.
So what?
Someone's done some fantastic selective snow clearing.
https://twitter.com/WidgrenPasi/status/1467149143315562497
It's worth scrolling down for some video of the artist and an idea of the scale of the <i>oeuvre</i>.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5795 on: 05 December, 2021, 02:10:07 pm »
 :thumbsup: :D

Also, whatever "syvyyttä" means, I'm sure it deserves three ys.

(Depth, apparently, in the partitive singular. And partitive, I've just learnt, is, well, kind of similar to genitive in its use.)
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/syvyys

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5796 on: 05 December, 2021, 02:51:49 pm »
:thumbsup: :D

Also, whatever "syvyyttä" means, I'm sure it deserves three ys.

(Depth, apparently, in the partitive singular. And partitive, I've just learnt, is, well, kind of similar to genitive in its use.)
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/syvyys
One y is a  y and 2 ys is a long y (like German ü). In Finnish, both vowel length and consonant length are phonemic, and that's reflected in spelling.
The partitive is my favourite case. You can use it to make up for a lack of perfect v imperfect. e.g.
luin kirja (accusative) I read a book (from cover to cover)
luin kirjaa (partitive) I was reading a book (i.e. only part of it at any one point in time)
Genitives invariably end in -n . Poro = reindeer, poron = of the reindeer
Then there's vowel harmony. A word can have front vowels and mid vowels, or back vowels and mid vowels, but not front vowels and back vowels.
On topic, lumi is snow,
sataa lunta = it's snowing (partitive)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5797 on: 05 December, 2021, 03:19:30 pm »
Seems complex but logical.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5798 on: 05 December, 2021, 03:46:48 pm »
Seems complex but logical.  :thumbsup:
Seems the sort of language you get when stuck inside a lot of the year with not much else to do.  A bit like knowing all the rules of Monopoly!

« Reply #5799 on: 06 December, 2021, 04:54:20 pm »
Sax practice has resumed.  I cant play with cold fingers.....

Who knew?

One of the good things about playing tuba is that it's possible to play in reasonably chunky gloves - coupled with a plastic mouthpiece, even better!

When it gets really cold, I just break out the bass trombone and ski mittens - one of the bonuses of being a low brass multi-instrumentalist!  ;) :D

Until it gets cold enough to freeze the valves solid. The soft southern band I used to play with were in Germany one winter (visit to a twinned town) and only the cornets and flugel could play more than five notes as the valves and slides on the rest were frozen solid.