Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3000760 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27775 on: 30 November, 2021, 12:52:17 pm »
Videos of baby elephants have got to be up there with the best thing about the internet. Even the John Noakes inclusive one is worth rewatching from time to time.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27776 on: 30 November, 2021, 07:41:26 pm »
Baby's first decent selection of wood screws. Does this make me a proper grown up now?
2021-11-30_07-38-13 by The Pingus, on Flickr

<Waits for someone to tell me what's wrong with them>
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27777 on: 30 November, 2021, 08:33:56 pm »
From past experience, you’ll use all of a couple sizes very quickly, then you’ll use another couple of other sizes because you’ve not got the right ones by which time the rest will have ended up in a mixed up mess, but it won’t matter because you won’t be able to use them for,anything any time soon. Then when you do need a couple of screws of the remaining sizes you’ll not be able to find the box and when you are in the big shed you’ll see another selection pack and in spite of your previous experiences, partly because you can’t remember just exactly what size you do need, you’ll buy it and the whole process will start again.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #27778 on: 30 November, 2021, 08:38:25 pm »
I have a screwdriver but no screws, so am confined to a life of DIY celibacy.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27779 on: 30 November, 2021, 08:41:30 pm »
Given the collection of wounds I’ve been collecting over the past couple of weeks, I thing that your position is probably the most sensible and I’m sure it’s the safest.

« Reply #27780 on: 30 November, 2021, 09:03:10 pm »
Baby's first decent selection of wood screws. Does this make me a proper grown up now?

I have one of those boxes, but torx screws.

It is a really sensible selection. The most commonly used screws are in large numbers and the others in much smaller numbers. The box is also substantial, so I see myself topping it up in the future.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #27781 on: 30 November, 2021, 09:09:17 pm »
I don't even know how free-range screws work. I can screw in pre-existing screws, but really, what they hell do you do with a free-range screw. I'm terrified. Does that mean there are free-range holes?

I used to have a drill and my wife gave it away after an incident.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27782 on: 30 November, 2021, 09:53:17 pm »
Wood screws are self-tapping, which means they'll make a hole in the wood at a random angle automatically without you needing to tap them with a hammer.

Machine screws, on the other hand, need a machine to make holes for them.

Although it may seem tempting, ACME Instant Hole shouldn't be used for making screw holes, because you'll only lose the screw in it.

ian

« Reply #27783 on: 30 November, 2021, 10:02:15 pm »
I do remember some device in Craft, Design & Technology (in which I have GCSE) that did something to do with screw threads. You swirled it around and bit of metal came off (swarf, I remember words at least).

It's probably a useful thing, trust me, you never fix a wonky door on a bathroom cabinet with a random forest regression model.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27784 on: 30 November, 2021, 10:04:42 pm »
Ah, the Rex Garrod fax machine.

ETA: Link updated to remastered version.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27786 on: 30 November, 2021, 10:55:55 pm »
The entire series is, even if some of the technology is a little dated.

They missed a trick by not using lathes with synchronous motors.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #27787 on: 30 November, 2021, 11:04:33 pm »

ETA: Link updated to remastered version.

Wonderfully pointles.

« Reply #27788 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:50:51 am »
I have a lot of sympathy for the people who have been without power since Arwen did its thing but this caught my eye from:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59483500

Indra Rampersad van Boeckel, from in Ford in Berwick-upon-Tweed, has been without power since Friday and witnessed her shed being crushed by a tree.

"It's heart-breaking really, it's not easy even making a cup of tea on a stove," the 42-year-old dentist said.

Well if you're struggling to make tea on a stove you ain't getting anywhere near my teeth!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27789 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:17:48 am »

ETA: Link updated to remastered version.
Excellent use of gaffer tape.

As would be expected from Tim Hunkin.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27790 on: 01 December, 2021, 09:03:55 am »
I have a lot of sympathy for the people who have been without power since Arwen did its thing but this caught my eye from:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59483500

Indra Rampersad van Boeckel, from in Ford in Berwick-upon-Tweed, has been without power since Friday and witnessed her shed being crushed by a tree.

"It's heart-breaking really, it's not easy even making a cup of tea on a stove," the 42-year-old dentist said.

Well if you're struggling to make tea on a stove you ain't getting anywhere near my teeth!

Is she not one of those who only has a solid fuel heating stove? There was one mentioned in the article where they said it took a very long time for their heating stove to boil a kettle.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27791 on: 01 December, 2021, 11:14:47 am »
Reportedly BBC Scotland listener re power cuts: "You can't do the things you usually do. You can't brush your teeth because your toothbrush is flat."

Aw. Time to invent the wood-fired toothbrush.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #27792 on: 01 December, 2021, 05:43:09 pm »
Whilst changing tube lines at Highbury & Islington a short while ago, a message was broadcast over the PA thusly: "Would Inspector Sands go to the control room immediately".
I checked out which escape routes which were available to me before deciding in which direction I should run.
In the end I opted for the southbound ginger line train, the departure of which was imminent.

« Reply #27793 on: 01 December, 2021, 05:55:55 pm »
Wood screws are self-tapping, which means they'll make a hole in the wood at a random angle automatically without you needing to tap them with a hammer.

But as you’ll no doubt know, the Birmingham screwdriver saves a lot of that pesky time consuming screwing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #27794 on: 01 December, 2021, 06:35:44 pm »
Whilst changing tube lines at Highbury & Islington a short while ago, a message was broadcast over the PA thusly: "Would Inspector Sands go to the control room immediately".
I checked out which escape routes which were available to me before deciding in which direction I should run.
In the end I opted for the southbound ginger line train, the departure of which was imminent.
Good call. Same holds true in large department stores too.
Rust never sleeps

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #27795 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:00:31 pm »
The southbound ginger line train?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #27796 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:05:31 pm »
I should add the the minute and a half that I waited for that train to depart felt like a lifetime.
But I felt that an aluminium bodied tube train might afford me some protection.
Should the need arise.

In reply to Paul:Ginger line is colloquial for the London Overground - on account of it being depicted in that colour on TfL maps.             

« Reply #27797 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:10:14 pm »

Always remember to double check the lid is latched shut before picking the box up by the handle...

BTW,  Seeing Kim's mention of Rex Garrod,  - he judged some Young Engineers competitions I took a team to several years ago, so spent a few days in his company. He was a very knowledgable and resourcful man.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #27798 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:11:15 pm »

I'd never heard of that before. Now I shall make a mental note...

« Reply #27799 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:12:14 pm »

Always remember to double check the lid is latched shut before picking the box up by the hande...
Oh yes. I have had this on site. And then had to delegate some poor unfortunate to pick up, sort and segregate the mess.