Author Topic: A random racing thread for non Grand Tour stuff.  (Read 49144 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: A random racing thread for non Grand Tour stuff.
« Reply #150 on: 04 June, 2021, 12:41:28 am »
Impressed that Thomas and Porte have both made it this far.

R Porte certainly defied expectations in the Tour last year, not for his podium finish but rather because he didn’t go home in an ambulance :demon:

That's it, you've jinxed him now.  :demon: ;D

ETA - Unless Tom Pidcock falling off his TT bike and borking his collar bone this week was a case of "taking one for the team"...

I'm sure we at P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM® tipped him to retire shortly after the first rest day last year after being attacked by Didi Senff.  While Tiny P Kennaugh predicted the podium 100% correctly.  The bastard.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #151 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:21:33 pm »
Sorry if this has come up here before but following a passing mention in one of the cycling podcasts, I've just started watching a documentary series - on YouTube -  on the Tour of Flanders, with one for each year since the centenary 2016 edition. Think A Sunday in Hell without the patina of age and the distinctive voice-over commentary, but with a lot more cameras and a lot more stories. There are cameras in several of the team cars, in the commentary booths (variety of languages), with on-course announcers, camera motorbikes, the race director's car, with the spectators, the media co-ordinators, on the farm of the parents of one of the young Flemish riders, in the bars, oh, and with race footage as well. And they're edited together so an incident on the road will show reactions throughout the microcosm (macrocosm?) of the race. I assume by the latest edition it will include on-bike cameras. I've only seen 2016 and 2017 and the rhythms are very similar to A Sunday in Hell. The overriding impression is one of organized chaos, with the chaos threatening to overwhelm the organization as the race progresses. The 2016 one was good, the 2017 one better, so I have I high hopes of the remainder.

A little bit of flavour: during the relatively relaxed early stages - break has been established - a rider leans in on team car (can't remember which one - Bora, I think) and asks for toilet paper. Director asks who for, as mechanic rummages through wheels, bidons, snacks, spare shoes and whatever else is kept at the back, improbably finding and passing up a roll. 'Me' answers the rider, 'and quick'. Team director tears off and hands out a few sheets: 'That's the best, I use it on my boy's bum and you're like a son to me'. Rider rides off. Brief pause then director mutters, with perfect timing: 'Good luck finding somewhere to poo in the Tour of Flanders'. There could well have been a camera at the selected place, but, if so, it didn't make the cut.

If you're intereted, this is the first: https://youtu.be/XFqfqO6CQko

« Reply #152 on: 19 July, 2021, 04:13:39 pm »
Thanks for this Nuncio, fabulous capture of the organised chaos that is the race.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #153 on: 24 July, 2021, 06:44:34 am »
Geraint Thomas crashes in the Olympics, as he does in most other races.  Maybe that's why he only smiles in the Zwift adverts, where there's nothing to hit.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #154 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:35:05 am »
There should have been a spoiler alert,,,,, to, err,,,, alert us early birds of what happened.

(click to show/hide)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #155 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:15:21 am »
Geraint Thomas crashes in the Olympics, as he does in most other races.  Maybe that's why he only smiles in the Zwift adverts, where there's nothing to hit.

I liked it when they interviewed Cav just now:

Presenter: "It's a real shame Thomas crashed isn't it?"
Cav: "Oh no Geraint, not again!"

« Reply #156 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:28:59 am »
Good race to take your first professional one-day win (apparently).

rogerzilla

« Reply #157 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:35:18 am »
Good race!

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #158 on: 24 July, 2021, 10:15:07 am »

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #159 on: 03 April, 2022, 03:51:03 pm »
Oh [rider name censored]!

« Reply #160 on: 17 April, 2022, 08:30:35 pm »
Poor Yves Lampaert.  :'(

rogerzilla

« Reply #161 on: 18 April, 2022, 07:21:50 pm »
Poor Yves Lampaert.  :'(
That's got to sting a bit.  Some spectators are total idiots.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #163 on: 20 April, 2022, 05:56:26 pm »
I was momentarily rather glad that Mum's telly package (I was visiting on Sunday) only had Eurosport in SD, not HD, when I saw bits of Askey's leg flapping about. Ouch.

Some level-headed thoughts on the Lampaert crash from Lanterne Rouge on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GV6jO7Hta4

TL;DW: poor show by the race organisers w/r/t both the bollards on the pavement through that pavé section and the relevant rules enforcement, but otherwise just shitty luck - Lampaert understandably trying to squeeze every inch of smooth road available to him, and spectators without the twitch reactions of a racing cyclist.

« Reply #164 on: 20 April, 2022, 07:50:10 pm »
The Askey thing makes you realise just how hard these guys are.
Lampaert was just crap luck, but for a guy who was called out by his DS as needing a result in a contract year, coming 10th after being knocked off by a fan is significantly worse at having a shot at the podium (wonder if he and Mohoric could have stayed away from Wout). Especially after coming 4th last year.

« Reply #165 on: 20 April, 2022, 09:55:10 pm »

Some level-headed thoughts on the Lampaert crash from Lanterne Rouge on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GV6jO7Hta4

TL;DW: poor show by the race organisers w/r/t both the bollards on the pavement through that pavé section and the relevant rules enforcement, but otherwise just shitty luck - Lampaert understandably trying to squeeze every inch of smooth road available to him, and spectators without the twitch reactions of a racing cyclist.

Dibdib, I agree with you that this is a fair enough analysis.  I saw one yesterday by someone mis-called pedaler (other l's are available) who spent 6 minutes talking hysterically about something he repeatedly said he didn't want to discuss.  Whatever the niceties of the rules and regulations, I think there is a real case for both riders and and spectators (but especially riders) trusting their eyes to see what is actually happening rather than expecting perfect behaviour from the spectators, who may often have had more substances than the riders by that time in the afternoon.  It seemed to me at least possible that Lampaert actually rode straight at the debateably-trousered chap and just expected he would have vapourised by the time he reached the spot a nano-second later.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #166 on: 20 April, 2022, 11:08:54 pm »
[…]debateably-trousered[…]

;D

« Reply #167 on: 21 April, 2022, 09:09:04 am »
It seemed to me at least possible that Lampaert actually rode straight at the debateably-trousered chap and just expected he would have vapourised by the time he reached the spot a nano-second later.

I suspect they are trained to do that - if one were to only aim for open road on the TdF mountain stages then you wouldn't actually finish! Though I think it's reasonable to ride at someone's hands and expect them to move them out of the way!

« Reply #168 on: 21 April, 2022, 11:33:44 am »
Certainly, Duncan, except that there is ample precedent for that policy ending badly.  Is it worth the risk to make a point.  It turned out not to be in this case.  That doesn't mean I'm exonerating the spectator, necessarily.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #169 on: 23 May, 2022, 05:14:09 pm »
Good hour record by Ellen Van Dijk: 850+ metres onto Joss Lowden's mark from eight months ago.

« Reply #170 on: 19 June, 2022, 06:47:20 pm »
Geraint Thomas has managed to stay on his bike for long enough to become the first BRITON to win the Tour de Suisse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/61859360
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #171 on: 19 June, 2022, 09:27:53 pm »
Geraint Thomas has managed to stay on his bike for long enough to become the first BRITON to win the Tour de Suisse.

And avoid the C-word too.
The peloton was decimated by withdrawals due to it.

(And in this case I think decimated is approximately correct, for any grammar pedants reading)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #172 on: 19 June, 2022, 09:34:05 pm »

And avoid the C-word too.
The peloton was decimated by withdrawals due to it.

(And in this case I think decimated is approximately correct, for any grammar pedants reading)

G didn't avoid Teh Dread Lurgi - it bounced off him and hit the rest of the peloton. #GeraintThomasfacts ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

« Reply #174 on: 26 December, 2023, 08:04:37 pm »
Tom Pidcock ant Matt Stephens cafe ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqiT90b1aU