Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Last post by rafletcher on Today at 09:21:06 am »
Rich Hall (with Rob Childs) on his “Shot from Cannons” tour, at the Court Theatre, Pendley, near Tring, in a gig associated with the Tring Book Fair (where he was promoting his memoir “Nailed It”). Excellent.
Gallery / Re: 'found this on a ride today'!
« Last post by peterc on Today at 09:15:38 am »
Didn't find this today, it was in 2017

Left it, made a call and it wasn't there when I went past the next day.
The Knowledge / Re: Heart rate monitor straps.
« Last post by MattH on Today at 09:13:30 am »

I replaced it with a Polar H10

[1] Not having the chest circumference of Donkey Kong, I have to have the adjuster done up to the point where I'm lying on a knobbly plastic bit when riding a recumbent.  As such, I bought a cheap strap to experimentally shorten, and discovered they worked fine.  Bright colours are marginally cheaper and make them harder to lose in campsite shower blocks and sock drawers.

I have a H10. Brilliant strap, it always just works with mild amount of moisturising (and only needing that under the driest conditions, normal skin moisture is usually good to go).

My irritation is the opposite of yours; I'm large, but not massive (44 inch chest in jacket sizing). The straps that come with them are tight even on their maximum length adjustment. I had to buy their XXXL strap as an accessory. You can't buy the device with that strap already fitted. I actually use the original XXL strap indoors, and keep the XXXL one as "best" for when I'll be using it for several hours at a time.

Your experience shows there is something strange about them though; my previous Polar, Garmin and off-brand monitors have come with straps have just worked, with what looks like plenty of adjustment available for those larger and smaller than me.

Good to know that knock-off straps work though.
The Knowledge / Re: Heart rate monitor straps.
« Last post by L CC on Today at 08:48:43 am »
I'm tempted by the Polar unit that Kim has mentioned but I'm also interested in the arm monitor that you're using L CC.
What is it please ?
This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CooSpo-Armband-Sensor-Bluetooth-Waterproof/dp/B07HHZQ85Y

I've had it about 3 or 4 years- maybe more- it was pre-Covid. Used several times a week. I went "off brand" as I was going for proof of concept.

Pro: Rechargable. Accurate enough (it goes up when I make an effort). Pairs / Connects with everything I've asked it to (phone, Ipad, Apple TV, Garmin 530)
Con: Bit shit for Rowing. Yet another charge cable. Battery lasts about 24 hours.

I use it less than I used to as I'm now wearing a Garmin watch 24/7 and that will also transmit. Most of the time I ride with power meters so HR is a secondary metric.
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by rr on Today at 08:40:48 am »
Wordle 902 4/6

🟨
🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by Ian H on Today at 08:30:36 am »
Wordle 902 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
The Pub / Re: Is it the end of cash?
« Last post by Asterix, the former Gaul. on Today at 08:00:15 am »
Most people would probably consider the nearest shop being "well over 3 miles away" a rural location.

My nearest of any sort is 7.5 miles away, but if I actually want to buy anything other than butchery (or visit a choice of 3 pubs!), its 12 miles away, and they're a bit iffy.  For "big shops/supermarkets", I have to travel to another country!

I hope your passport is up to date.
The Pub / Re: Pronunciation that makes you cringe
« Last post by T42 on Today at 07:59:37 am »
Sounds Russian.  Didn't he write Tolstoy's War and Potatoes?
The Russian version of Lebkuchen are called pryaniki. Though the German ones are nicer.

We don't see them much around here unless we go and fetch them over the border.  What we do get are bredele (3 syllables), guaranteed not to outlast the closure on the packet by more than 10 minutes if kids are involved or half an hour for adults.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bredele
The Pub / Re: eBay rant
« Last post by Asterix, the former Gaul. on Today at 07:55:32 am »
eBay has enabled me to sell quite a few items, not always for what I think they are worth, one or two times I have done better than expected.  It has also taught me to be extra careful - if something looks too good to be true then ask for more and better pictures to start with.

So I don't mind it, it's a lesson in human nature in all its varieties.
The Pub / Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Last post by T42 on Today at 07:51:10 am »
I remember the ads from before that with Alan Freeman plugging Omo: "even white nylon stays white". And the ould bugger plucking at his own shirt to imply that he wore the stuff, though I can't imagine he'd tolerate it for more than 5 minutes after the shoot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10