Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 998181 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #7125 on: 14 August, 2024, 08:35:23 pm »
Liz Truss, on so, so many levels but we'll start with having no sense of humour, thinking that Trump is a good thing - in which fucking universe could he *ever* be a good thing? - and confusing a joke* with an attempt to "suppress free speech". 

Details here

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/aug/14/liz-truss-leaves-stage-over-i-crashed-the-economy-lettuce-banner

*I thought it was hilarious, but I can see others might not.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #7126 on: 14 August, 2024, 09:23:56 pm »
Apparently JK Growling put her great big hoof in it again with her tweets about the Algerian female boxer.  I haven't seen the actual evidence but it seems that she has once again applied for entry into Room 101.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #7127 on: 14 August, 2024, 11:27:34 pm »
Unfortunately I have seen the original as it came up on a Xitter digest email  :sick:. Honestly, that platform just gets worse and worse.

Another email from Xitter soon after the Southport incident contained a quote from one of the Tates. Either their algorithm is shit or, more likely, Musk is just deliberately pushing right wing agenda.
Pen Pusher

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7128 on: 15 August, 2024, 07:54:00 am »
Apparently JK Growling put her great big hoof in it again with her tweets about the Algerian female boxer.  I haven't seen the actual evidence but it seems that she has once again applied for entry into Room 101.

The TERF Queen is facing a potential criminal investigation in France for cyber-bullying.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7129 on: 15 August, 2024, 08:05:16 am »
For somebody with such an incredible talent she seems to have picked a rather stupid cause for her reputation and legacy to die on.

Why can't folk stick to what they are good at and leave the adult conversations to those better equipped to have them?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7130 on: 15 August, 2024, 08:30:03 am »
Unfortunately I have seen the original as it came up on a Xitter digest email  :sick:. Honestly, that platform just gets worse and worse.

Another email from Xitter soon after the Southport incident contained a quote from one of the Tates. Either their algorithm is shit or, more likely, Musk is just deliberately pushing right wing agenda.
Aren't the Tates just successful pimps?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7131 on: 15 August, 2024, 09:16:41 am »
JKR has talent?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace الله أكبر

Regulator

« Reply #7132 on: 15 August, 2024, 11:06:45 am »
JKR has talent?

I got told off for describing her writing as mediocre at best.  The series was basically easy to read pap aimed at middle class kids and adults who couldn't cope with the flair, complexity and ingenuity of Terry Pratchett.

There are also rumours that some of the latter Potter books were ghost written...

Green Party Councillor

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7133 on: 15 August, 2024, 12:45:06 pm »
I got told off for describing her writing as mediocre at best.

Mediocre is correct. I read all the Potter books (well, the canonical seven, none of the spin-offs) because my son was the right age for them growing up. Some of the writing is incredibly clunky, particularly the cringetastic bits about the kids' relationships with each other.

I always much preferred the Lemony Snicket books, which are written with flair and wit. And are very, very funny.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7134 on: 15 August, 2024, 01:06:03 pm »
To be fair her HP series told a gripping story which has enthused a global audience.  She may or may not be the absolute best author on the planet but she can imagine and write a story way better and most people I know.

I am not going to denigrate her literary abilities, just her lack of humanity, compassion and judgement in one particular area.

« Reply #7135 on: 15 August, 2024, 01:15:06 pm »
To be fair her HP series told a gripping story which has enthused a global audience.  She may or may not be the absolute best author on the planet but she can imagine and write a story way better and most people I know.

I am not going to denigrate her literary abilities, just her lack of humanity, compassion and judgement in one particular area.
I agree with this. Whatever you think of the writing, her books captured the imagination of several generations of children and particularly boys.  There is no other childrens writer (or adult) who has had round the block, overnight queues to get first day copies.

Her new series is pretty poor and she has got sucked into a whirlpool of toxicity over trans isues which is very sad.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7136 on: 15 August, 2024, 02:09:54 pm »
I think some of the early Harry Potter books were fine +/- all the racist/antisemitic tropes buried in them. She had good marketing and yes many kids and adults enjoyed them. I read all of them cos I'll read anything (I read fast) but the last 3 were in DIRE need of better editing as they got longer and longer and very poorly constructed, they were confusing and the storylines dragged horribly.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7137 on: 15 August, 2024, 02:36:25 pm »
To be fair her HP series told a gripping story which has enthused a global audience

The cynic in me says her success has largely been down to marketing more than any intrinsic merits.

To echo barakta, the last few books were actually quite dull.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #7138 on: 15 August, 2024, 04:44:37 pm »
Led By Donkeys (attention RSPCA and Equalities Commission: cruelty and racism) should have added 'Lettuce lasts longer than cabbage'.

BTW, Sunak's claims the the Tory Canyon disaster party  was reducing inflation is like shitting on your neighbour's doorstep, wiping of a bit of it and claiming that it's cleaner.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #7139 on: 15 August, 2024, 05:18:21 pm »
I do not think that JKR was a good author.  When reading the story to my kids they commented on issues with her writing.
The idea is not big, new or clever. 
If you want a good kids author, I'd recommend Cressida Cowell; her books are well thought out, well written and are not a join the dots repetition of other authors.

I would no more accept JKR's contribution to literature than I would accept Eminem's contribution to music.

For balance, I also think that Robert Jordan is a talentless hack who recycles 20% of his books and doesn't have a single new and unique idea in his endless works.  Both JKR and Jordan are more readable that GRR Martin.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7140 on: 15 August, 2024, 09:05:40 pm »
Or Philip Pullman

Though as a lad I was reading Hammond Innes, Alistair MacLean, Ian Fleming, JRRT, HG Wells amongst others, never did me no 'arm, 'onest guv

TBH I'm not a fan of "childrens authors" for "young adults" as long as there is no explicit stuff, and not overly sweary it's probably not much different from school-break talk these days.

On JKR - yeah, OK, reasonable storyline, but bloated like late-on Marlon Brando in the Island of Doctor Moreau (which incidentally I was also reading as a ten year old)
George RR Martin - I picked up the first GOT novel, read three pages and put it back.  I very rarely don't finish a book I start (Vikram Seth's A Suitable boy being another example, I got halfway through that)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Regulator

« Reply #7141 on: 19 August, 2024, 03:24:34 pm »
*Snork*

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7142 on: 19 August, 2024, 04:15:18 pm »
 😂

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7143 on: 30 August, 2024, 02:02:52 pm »
Esther McVey

Quoting Pastor Niemollor in response to government plans to reduce smoking in outdoor spaces. Then saying she wasn't wrong to do so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c703nlle72wo
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7144 on: 30 August, 2024, 02:27:52 pm »
They came for Esther McVile
I said “She's over there, behind the wardrobe!”
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7145 on: Yesterday at 10:33:11 am »