Author Topic: Waste of resources?  (Read 18543 times)

Re: Waste of resources?
« Reply #100 on: 20 December, 2009, 06:37:23 pm »

Lovely bike.
Its got a point. Hang it on your wall and it could be art with a point :thumbsup:
Good to look at, and you can take it down and ride it :thumbsup:

And 1gear - I am genuinely interested. Looking at the lugwork on the bike - do you see a point (apart from the obvious), or do you see it as pointless, and a waste of resources (extra metal, and extra work) to create lugs which are decorative rather than just being purely functional?

Functional and decorative, i think you shall find.
Those cut out bits help to save those extra few grams  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Oscar Wilde
All art is quite useless

But not necessarily pointless  ;D

Actually this thread has fascinated me. Like much I read here, it has challenged my own (pre?)conceptions and behaviours. Specifically, in this case, how I, as an old git (And I am increasingly reaching the conclusion that that is what I am) react and relate to the young.

And 1gear, before you misinterpret, and get all big headed about it - it is not what you have written that has challenged me, but what others have written that challenge my reaction to what you have written.   :D

Face it. Ive challenged you. End of.
Your own thoughts have been put to the test, and you have seen the other side to things.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #101 on: 20 December, 2009, 06:41:52 pm »

Your own thoughts have been put to the test, and you have seen the other side to things.

Yeah yeah yeah.

Where's the emo "whatever" smiley when you need one. This'll have to do....  ::-)

Those cut out bits help to save those extra few grams  :thumbsup:

But surely Mercian haven't' taken a needed large lug, and cut bits out to save weight, but have taken a nice small functional lug, and added (at great cost of materials and workmanship, flouncy bits.  :P

« Reply #102 on: 20 December, 2009, 06:53:08 pm »

Yeah yeah yeah.

Where's the emo "whatever" smiley when you need one. This'll have to do....  ::-)

Those cut out bits help to save those extra few grams  :thumbsup:

But surely Mercian haven't' taken a needed large lug, and cut bits out to save weight, but have taken a nice small functional lug, and added (at great cost of materials and workmanship, flouncy bits.  :P

Alright then. It looks good and is functional. Meaning it has a point.
Jesus, have you read any of this thread ::-)
Ive also questioned your views, challenged them and made you have a thought on the other side.
Your too much of a closed minded fart to agree or even take anything on.
Peasant. ::-)

tonycollinet

« Reply #103 on: 20 December, 2009, 06:58:43 pm »
Interesting - do you feel using personal insults is an effective debate tactic?  :)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #104 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:05:01 pm »
Interesting - do you feel using personal insults is an effective debate tactic?  :)

No Tony, I think you've got Young Sir wrong - you know what his spelling is like, when he was calling you a peasant he was really meaning pleasant  ;)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #105 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:14:43 pm »

No. That wasnt an insult at all. I could have easily called you a wanker if i wanted to ;)
I do believe you are a closed minded person though, who wont listen because your older. Id like to suggest your head is somewhere, but i wont ;)

So no, ive not really used a personal insult, and im not debating. Im discussing, thank you ;) :thumbsup:

I think you should lighten up, open your mind and not get so offended so easily.

tonycollinet

« Reply #106 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:21:24 pm »
Hmm

If you think I am offended, you are wrong. It takes a lot more than that, believe me. I tend only to be offended by things that matter.

And it's difficult to see how you've reached the conclusion I am closed minded - so far I have neither agreed, nor disagreed with anything you have said. I have only asked questions.

I am in the "trying to understand you point of view" stage of the debate discussion.

And I'll correct myself............. - Interesting - do you think using personal insults is an effective discussion tactic?
 ;D

« Reply #107 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:24:35 pm »
Hmm

If you think I am offended, you are wrong. It takes a lot more than that, believe me. I tend only to be offended by things that matter.

And it's difficult to see how you've reached the conclusion I am closed minded - so far I have neither agreed, nor disagreed with anything you have said. I have only asked questions.

I am in the "trying to understand you point of view" stage of the debate discussion.

And I'll correct myself............. - Interesting - do you think using personal insults is an effective discussion tactic?
 ;D

Your closed minded and you dont listen. Ill quote myself.

So no, ive not really used a personal insult, and im not debating. Im discussing, thank you

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #108 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:29:32 pm »
Hmm

;D

So no, ive not really used a personal insult, and im not debating. Im discussing, thank you

Does anyone here know Young Sir in person ?  Is he always this obnoxious ?
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #109 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:34:52 pm »
Hmm

;D

Does anyone here know Young Sir in person ?  Is he always this obnoxious ?

No. I can be abit abusive in person. But i am normally quite nice and not obnoxious at all.
I am normally always right though. Im like peoples mums, always right.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #110 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:37:23 pm »
I haven't used the ignore function before but I think I'm going to.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #111 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:39:19 pm »
A good idea, I think I'll follow suit
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #112 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:39:48 pm »

I thought about it, but the entertainment value is currently winning.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #113 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:40:25 pm »
So soon :'(

Oh good, you havent used it yet :-* :-*

tonycollinet

« Reply #114 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:44:02 pm »

Go on then - tell me what part I've not listened to, and I'll try really really hard this time (although it is actually difficult to listen to a forum)

« Reply #115 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:45:35 pm »

Go on then - tell me what part I've not listened to, and I'll try really really hard this time (although it is actually difficult to listen to a forum)

For the 3rd time now.

You also dont get the pointless thing, like i think most others has become to thinking like on this thread.

tonycollinet

« Reply #116 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:52:46 pm »
Ah right - sorry, I understand now.

See, I (probably due to my age, it's true) have been brought up in a world where calling someone a fart is actually an insult. Not quite as rude as "wanker" of course - but still....

Obviously I'm wrong, and I take it all back.  8)

« Reply #117 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:55:54 pm »
Ah right - sorry, I understand now.

See, I (probably due to my age, it's true) have been brought up in a world where calling someone a fart is actually an insult. Not quite as rude as "wanker" of course - but still....

Obviously I'm wrong, and I take it all back.  8)

Maybe back in your day?

tonycollinet

« Reply #118 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:58:29 pm »
Well much as I'd love to continue this fascinating err, whatever, I've got food to eat.

Plus, I'm bored.

« Reply #119 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:59:56 pm »
Well much as I'd love to continue this fascinating err, whatever, I've got food to eat.

Plus, I'm bored.

Discussion, not a debate. Got that?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Euan Uzami

« Reply #120 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:39:02 pm »

You also dont get the pointless thing, like i think most others has become to thinking like on this thread.
I don't get it either, this thread has actually made it more confusing rather than less, it has raised more questions than it has answered.
Can you just tell me your precise definition - one set of generic rules that covers everything, rather than specific items? i.e. what enables me to predict whether a certain item will be pointless or not and I will be right, without mentioning the specific item in question.

so, what are the rules - that make the following pointless:
* Sculpture
* Cows
* Hand made tea pots (when better ones are available from asda)
* Playing squash

but the following not pointless:
* Charlotte's bike
* Some audaxes
* Posting on here
* Hand made tea pots (when better ones are NOT available)

and can you just remind me which list (a) MTBing,  (b) skiing and (c) tennis, fit into, because I've forgot.

Maybe if i understand the rules i'll be able to explain it to everybody else...?  :-\ :-\ :thumbsup:

« Reply #121 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:51:34 pm »

I don't get it either, this thread has actually made it more confusing rather than less, it has raised more questions than it has answered.
Can you just tell me your precise definition - one set of generic rules that covers everything, rather than specific items? i.e. what enables me to predict whether a certain item will be pointless or not and I will be right, without mentioning the specific item in question.

so, what are the rules - that make the following pointless:
* Sculpture
* Cows
* Hand made tea pots (when better ones are available from asda)
* Playing squash

but the following not pointless:
* Charlotte's bike
* Some audaxes
* Posting on here
* Hand made tea pots (when better ones are NOT available)

and can you just remind me which list (a) MTBing,  (b) skiing and (c) tennis, fit into, because I've forgot.

Maybe if i understand the rules i'll be able to explain it to everybody else...?  :-\ :-\ :thumbsup:

Pointless things:
Things that wont really do anything, or serve much use, cant really be used for anything.
So, if something looks good, but doesnt function, then its pointless.
If something functions but doesnt look good. Useful
Something looks good and functions. Useful.

Sculpture. Pointless, doesnt do anything useful besides sit somewhere and have people look at it. No point in that.
Now if that sculpture did something, very doubtful, then it would have a point.
Cows:
The only ones that have a use are the ones you can eat. If you keep the animal as a pet, like they do on some farm parks, and you dont eat them. Pointless. Just using up resources and we dont get anything back.
Hand made tea pots:
If they function fine, and dont just get sat on a shelf to be looked at, then they arent pointless, and are useful.
Now, if that handmade tea pot didnt function, and didnt get used. Pointless.

Bikes arent pointless if they function fine. If they dont function right(BSO) then they are pointless.

Getting this yet Ben?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #122 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:56:38 pm »
I still don't get why humans are useful in your system!
Chief cat entertainer.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #123 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:19:30 pm »
It was going so awfully well until we got to this:

(My italics)

1gear - do you ever post on Have Your Say?

You're not one of the "Werthers Original Imperialists" from spEak You're bRanes by any chance are you?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Euan Uzami

« Reply #124 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:26:13 pm »

Pointless things:
Things that wont really do anything, or serve much use, cant really be used for anything.
ok, that's all very well, but that doesn't cover your self-made bowl that you posted a pic of - because it CAN be used. The fact that it ISN'T being used, because there are better ones, is beside the point.

So, if something looks good, but doesnt function, then its pointless.
If something functions but doesnt look good. Useful
Something looks good and functions. Useful.
assuming you think it doesn't look good - this in bold would cover your bowl, so therefore is it not pointless?
(remember that just because it isn't in day to day use, doesn't mean to say it doesn't work - it functions perfectly well if you decided to use it.)

to save time, and to avoid going round in circles, I'll pre-empt the next bit of your argument, and post my response:
"the bowl is pointless because it isn't used because there are better ones"

so does that mean that ford mondeos are pointless because ferraris are available?

"no because some people can't afford ferraris"

but some people can't afford a better bowl than that, e.g. africans

So are you still saying that bowl you made is pointless, in light of your (otherwise perfectly sensical) definition above?