Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3136713 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #30250 on: 23 November, 2023, 04:14:57 pm »
In defence of people manning NT attractions (presumed volunteers in most cases) in our experience they have been very good about looking after bags etc when you arrive as a touring cyclist with panniers which you really don't want to lug round a house or even garden. Which is more than I can say about other places, I feel a visit to the grumble thread is in order.

Don't get me wrong - I think they're great and do a super job overall, and bloody well done to them for volunteering. But... they can be a bit odd.

For example: when we took our then-very-young son to Knole for an Easter family fun day thing one year, there was an Easter egg hunt where kids had to go around the house and answer questions to get a chocolate-based reward at the end. The person responsible for giving out prizes was being very strict about checking all the answers and not giving kids their prize if they missed some or didn't get them all right. It didn't seem to be quite in the correct spirit.

Experiences at other NT properties over the years have rather reinforced the impression of prissiness and lack of a sense of humour.

Although in the case of ian's experience, it could just be that they've heard the Mr Kipling gag a bazillion times before and the novelty has slightly worn off.

I'd still rather have them and their oddness than the Restore Trust fascists running the show.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #30251 on: 23 November, 2023, 05:39:23 pm »
Other than the Nymans gate Hitler, I think they’ve mostly been OK, but I think they attract retired school teachers, so a bit of sternness is to be expected.

The best tour we did was a local house. Our guide was leading us through what were obviously not the public areas. “Are we supposed to be here?” one of our group asked. “Oh it’s OK, I live here.”

Glad to see the upper classes mucking in.

citoyen

« Reply #30252 on: 24 November, 2023, 10:17:57 am »
I think they attract retired school teachers, so a bit of sternness is to be expected.

There could be something in that.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #30253 on: 24 November, 2023, 12:43:08 pm »
The former Ms Beardy the elder has VERY strong opinions on NT volunteers, but then she is the Volunteer and Community Manager for a group of NT properties in Cornwall.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #30254 on: 28 November, 2023, 04:23:22 pm »
I bought a discounted InterRail pass today, so that's next summer's jaunt sorted. Slightly over £20/day for a 15 days in 2 months one. It's about time I practiced my Swedish. I've not been since 1995.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #30255 on: 29 November, 2023, 08:17:40 pm »
There's a place in Scandinavia where the borders of Sweden, Finland and Norway coincide where, in theory, you could run around in a circle declaiming loudly "I'm in Sweden! I'm in Finland! I'm in Norway!".
This point exists but, alas, it is in the middle of a lake.
So, unless the water freezes over, accomplishing this this could prove to be irksome.
Until that is one, or more, of the nations concerned have elected to drop a lump of concrete into the aforementioned lake at that spot, build a walkway around it, and connect it to its host nations via foot bridges.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #30256 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:55:06 pm »
So it is now a slightly watery version of the Drielandenpunt for NL/BE/DE?  I had fun cycling around that a few years back!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30257 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:57:07 am »
Anyone else see that article in the Graun about a jewellery employee in Tokyo defending his shop against thieves with a satsuma?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/30/sasumata-samurai-sword-robbery-attempt-japan-sales-rise

Reminds me: footering about in the cellar yesterday I came across a couple of spears that MrsT's folks had brought back from Uganda.  Both of them look lethal, especially the one with the 60-cm blade.  I'll maybe get rid of the rust and sharpen it.  Dunno how [il]legal they are here.  Not throwing them out, though, I might transfix someone.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #30258 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:25:06 am »
That'll stick out the stocking though, won't it?

« Reply #30259 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:52:53 am »
A friend, who lives in a dodgy part of Brum has, attached to the inside of his front door frame using a Terry clip, a javelin.
That's not what you'd call a close combat weapon.
That'd poke out of the stocking as well.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30260 on: 30 November, 2023, 10:41:48 am »
Still got my old fencing weapons up in the loft, and a pencil sharpener in my office.

« Reply #30261 on: 30 November, 2023, 10:44:49 am »
You could give someone a nasty nip with these

citoyen

« Reply #30262 on: 30 November, 2023, 11:07:01 am »
So it is now a slightly watery version of the Drielandenpunt for NL/BE/DE?  I had fun cycling around that a few years back!

A few years ago I did a DIY 600 with a couple of mates, visiting four countries - started at Dunkerque, went through Belgium and the SE tip of the Netherlands to Aachen, just over the border in Germany. Return leg was via the Drielandenpunt but it was quite late by the time we got there so we didn't get to enjoy the views.

« Reply #30263 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:57:40 pm »
There's a place in Scandinavia where the borders of Sweden, Finland and Norway coincide where, in theory, you could run around in a circle declaiming loudly "I'm in Sweden! I'm in Finland! I'm in Norway!".
So, unless the water freezes over, accomplishing this this could prove to be irksome.
Until that is one, or more, of the nations concerned have elected to drop a lump of concrete into the aforementioned lake at that spot, build a walkway around it, and connect it to its host nations via foot bridges.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Country_Cairn
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30264 on: 03 December, 2023, 03:12:20 pm »
Someone said today that my "Belgian style" w/proof cycling cap reminded them of Norman Wisdom. I didn't get the reference, despite knowing the name, so I've looked him up. Apparently it's all down to the peak being tipped up:

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #30265 on: 03 December, 2023, 03:59:02 pm »
Someone said today that my "Belgian style" w/proof cycling cap reminded them of Norman Wisdom. I didn't get the reference, despite knowing the name, so I've looked him up. Apparently it's all down to the peak being tipped up:

Is there any other way that a cycling cap should be worn?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30266 on: 03 December, 2023, 04:14:53 pm »
A.k.a. Belgian aero.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30267 on: 03 December, 2023, 04:42:39 pm »
Can be up, can be down. Down keeps sun and rain out of the eyes.

But maybe it was cos it was skewiff.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #30268 on: 03 December, 2023, 06:13:21 pm »
Why are so many 6th formers being allowed to report the news on the BBC?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #30269 on: 04 December, 2023, 12:18:09 pm »

There's a tripoint between Poland, Czechia and Germany where the borders are two (tiny) rivers. You could in theory do that running around shouting thing, except that the spoilsport Germans have declined to build a little bridge like the Polish/Czech one and you would get wet feet.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #30270 on: 04 December, 2023, 12:25:55 pm »
One day I'll stump up the cash and pay the Navajo to let me tit about at the Four Corners monument where the Palefaces decided Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona meet.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30271 on: 04 December, 2023, 01:10:27 pm »
Jan's £10 Christmas present from Margaret Thatcher arrived today. I'm afraid I blew it on two coffees.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #30272 on: 04 December, 2023, 03:56:34 pm »
Jan's £10 Christmas present from Margaret Thatcher arrived today. I'm afraid I blew it on two coffees.
Five sodding quid for a coffee!?  Where the bloody hell were you, the Ritz!?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

citoyen

« Reply #30273 on: 04 December, 2023, 08:49:40 pm »
Five sodding quid for a coffee!?  Where the bloody hell were you, the Ritz!?

A flat white at my regular place near the office is £3.50 these days. I imagine a hip young gunslinger like Wow goes for something more fancy - double mocha salted caramel chocolate frappucinolatte or whatever it is the kids like these days - so not surprised it might cost a bit more.

« Reply #30274 on: 06 December, 2023, 09:59:54 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-67629952

I'm not sure how I'd feel about having my bike commandeered and then crashed into a fleeing rapscallion.  Is there a compensation fund for things like this?