Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 877587 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #6950 on: 28 June, 2024, 09:19:19 am »
I didn’t know the stories, though, and it’s a lot easier read than Professor Larrington's book on the same subject published around the same time.  Natch I'm not going to tell her that :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6951 on: 28 June, 2024, 09:55:06 am »
Now on "Lamentation", book 6 of the Shardlake series. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6952 on: 29 June, 2024, 07:56:49 pm »
”The Sympathiser by Viet Thanh Nguyen, which I saw reviewed as a result off the TV adaptation currently running. It’s the 2016 Pulitzer winner for fiction, among other awards, and although I’ve only just started it I can see why. Recommended. 

I came to it after abandoning Denzil Meyrick’s The Estate. Utterly dreadful, if you’re tempted.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6953 on: 04 July, 2024, 04:26:08 pm »

Now on the last of the Shardlake books.   A constant theme is the rapaciousness & corruption of the ruling class, together with increasing poverty & degradation of the workers.   It all sounds very familiar….
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6954 on: 04 July, 2024, 05:27:35 pm »

Now on the last of the Shardlake books.   A constant theme is the rapaciousness & corruption of the ruling class, together with increasing poverty & degradation of the workers.   It all sounds very familiar….

MrsT is reading a book about the end of the 19th century.  No different.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6955 on: 11 July, 2024, 10:22:08 am »
Just started on Ned Beauman's Madness Is Better Than Defeat. It's a while since I've read one of his books and I'd forgotten quite how... um... different he is. Bit of a shock to the system after the elegance of Simon Raven who I've been reading lately. He's like a mix of Will Self, Ernest Hemingway and Raymond Chandler, all turned up to 11. And very funny. Might not be everyone's cup of tea (the reviews on Goodreads are somewhat polarised) but I love it.

I had a look back on my notes on Goodreads from previous books of his I've read. Here are a couple of quotes from The Teleportation Accident - Chandleresque descriptions of characters that made me laugh:

a portrait of a muscular grey-haired man with a grim, almost demented gaze and the sort of moustache that could beat you in an arm-wrestling contest

a tall gaunt man with small narrow eyes set deep in his skull like two old sisters trying to spy out of the windows of their house without being noticed themselves

The plot of this latest one I'm reading appears to be loosely based on Heart of Darkness - the title is a quote from Orson Welles on his doomed attempt to make a film of the book. The opening scene involves a man wrestling an octopus for money, which sounds wilfully wacky but he makes it sound grim and seedy.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6956 on: 16 July, 2024, 03:03:50 am »
3 Body Problem. (All 3 books)
Friend warned me that book 2 & 3 "went places" and they sure did. Absolutely loved it.  Started as sciency-crime drama and then
(click to show/hide)
Some asian cultural quirks than I'm not sure how well translated, but otherwise really awesome.

« Reply #6957 on: 16 July, 2024, 06:44:39 am »
Outlive.
Author, Dr Peter Attia.
Essentially a manual on how to live a healthier life. As with all these type of books i try to glean what i can for what benefit i might receive.
Halfway through and very good so far.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6958 on: 16 July, 2024, 02:59:07 pm »
Peter Watts's βehemoth, second of his Rifters trilogy.  I rather like his stuff involving truly different life rather than N-peds behaving like humans.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6959 on: Today at 11:16:08 pm »
Fans of The Vinyl Detective series by Andrew Cartmel may be interested to know he has a new series out under The Paperback Sleuth.
Honestly, I wouldn't bother.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.