Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 245240 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1725 on: 24 July, 2024, 04:41:53 pm »
Heartworms at the Moth Hackney. Intimate gig in a sweaty pub-type hall where the band have to walk through the punters to get on/off stage. Slightly incongruous for a band with a big sound and clearly going for the big time.  The singer really gave it some welly both vocally and in her movement routines (close to mime on occasions).  She is quite striking visually which is not going to harm promotions.

I've seen her a couple of times and yes, she is a great performer - massive stage presence, which is surprising considering how TINY she is.

For me slightly let down by the use of backing tapes.  Hopefully on a bigger budget they can get another band member to do keyboards and tech stuff live.  It really makes a big difference to the feel of a gig IMO.

It's something I can always forgive when it's an up-and-coming band who, as you say, don't have the budget. I read an interview with Lily Fontaine of English Teacher recently when she was talking about the costs of touring and basically they make no money from it at all (although English Teacher are starting to fill up bigger venues now so hopefully they're able to make a living out of it).

Billy Nomates got a lot of stick for her Glastonbury set last year when it was just her on stage with backing tapes for accompaniment but I thought she was great. It comes down to how good are the songs and how well are they performed. Yes, it's better with a full band but I'd far rather see a performer I like singing great songs with a tape than a shit band singing shit songs.

I've not been to Moth before but I've got tickets for a gig there in a few weeks - Industry Standard, who I saw supporting Warmduscher last year and they were great fun so I've been looking forward to a chance to see them again. Tickets for that one are FREE! so they definitely won't be making any money out of that. I might feel morally obliged to at least buy a T-shirt.

And talking of Billy Nomates, I'm seeing her in Margate in December, at WhereElse? which sounds very similar to Moth, in that it's tiny and the band have to go through the crowd to get to the stage (saw the aforementioned English Teacher there earlier this year).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1726 on: 24 July, 2024, 04:53:05 pm »
I've not been to Moth before but I've got tickets for a gig there in a few weeks - Industry Standard, who I saw supporting Warmduscher last year and they were great fun so I've been looking forward to a chance to see them again.

A tip if you're going to the Moth for the first time (as I was) - when you go through the door to the hall, turn left and you'll be right by the stage.  It was pitch black when I entered so went left by chance and had a great view  ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1727 on: 24 July, 2024, 05:28:28 pm »
I've not been to Moth before but I've got tickets for a gig there in a few weeks - Industry Standard, who I saw supporting Warmduscher last year and they were great fun so I've been looking forward to a chance to see them again.

A tip if you're going to the Moth for the first time (as I was) - when you go through the door to the hall, turn left and you'll be right by the stage.  It was pitch black when I entered so went left by chance and had a great view  ;D

:thumbsup: ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1728 on: Today at 10:31:25 am »
Some World Music at Womad.

First the reliable Molly's Party Band

Then a rip-roaring DJ set from Romare

Countered by the extraordinary John Metcalfe and his new album "Tree".

And also a hiphop band, Young Fathers, most noticeable because of the BSL interpreter put to the far right...

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1729 on: Today at 11:01:59 am »
Romare was banging. Also DJ Paulette.KOG and Goldfrapp tonight