Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 901571 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #7525 on: 28 June, 2024, 09:01:42 am »

Two Short seaplanes - one Civilian (Solent) and one military with gun turrets in the museum at Auckland, NZ - spectacular  [My late, ex-father in law was an instructor on the Sunderlands  when they were flying commercially just post-war)

Jealous!  I've always loved flying boats and the Sunderland in particular. I had the Airfix kit when I was a kid and the bloke who lived over the road used to build the real thing when he was younger.  I've never seen a real one. Never will, probably.
Also jealous, the Short Sunderland is about my favourite airplane of all time.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7526 on: 28 June, 2024, 11:26:39 am »
I've flown in a seaplane a few times in Australia (not sure what type) when I was very young.  Great fun!   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7527 on: 28 June, 2024, 12:56:03 pm »
Jealouser yet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7528 on: 28 June, 2024, 01:18:57 pm »

Having an interest of Short Bros and the Sunderland, I bought this original 7 Sept 1940 cover picture for a few quid when it appeared on eBay some years ago.

It's clearly the cavernlike inside of a Sunderland rather than the cramped interior of a 1940 bomber and unless I am very mistaken I don't believe the Sunderland ever made a bombing raid on Germany!
Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7529 on: 28 June, 2024, 02:24:26 pm »
It's clearly the cavernlike inside of a Sunderland rather than the cramped interior of a 1940 bomber and unless I am very mistaken I don't believe the Sunderland ever made a bombing raid on Germany!

They would have been too slow to last 5 minutes with a 109.

My father used to have a wartime book/magazine entitled Coastal Command, issued by HM Stationery Office and full of photos of Sunderlands and Catalinas, and the story of the Bismarck sinking including pics of her doing her death spiral after her rudder had been disabled.  Knowing my mum she'll have chucked "that old thing" out after his death.

Regulator

« Reply #7530 on: 29 June, 2024, 10:09:26 am »
The oldest living land animal in the world is a gay male tortoise named Jonathan. He is 192 years old.

Green Party Councillor

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7531 on: 30 June, 2024, 06:35:27 am »
How do they know he's gay? Are they sure he's not just agnostic or still deciding? At 192 why rush things.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7532 on: 30 June, 2024, 01:47:46 pm »

Regulator

« Reply #7533 on: 01 July, 2024, 10:43:34 am »
How do they know he's gay? Are they sure he's not just agnostic or still deciding? At 192 why rush things.

He apparently has a younger male partner (a man after my own heart)...

Green Party Councillor

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7534 on: 03 July, 2024, 08:05:50 am »
That Shimano sells thin shims that fit betwixt a 2 bolt cleat and the shoe sole, thus lowering the cleat slightly from the sole and providing better clearance, for MTB type shoes with raised rubber tread, for the cleat to engage in the pedal, especially the SPD type with a platform.

The shims have male and female surfaces to engage with the serrated side of the cleat and bite into the shoe sole.  Clever.

Having had both my pairs of Shimano shoes pass away, after many miles, in the last couple of weeks these shims are enhancing my new shoes.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7535 on: 03 July, 2024, 08:31:13 am »
I believe I've got some of those ^^^ somewhere.  Better than pressing the soles of new shoes against the bench sander.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7536 on: 03 July, 2024, 08:49:09 am »
I believe I've got some of those ^^^ somewhere.  Better than pressing the soles of new shoes against the bench sander.

;D . . . I hd been pondering using a Surform block plane for making adjustments!

« Reply #7537 on: 03 July, 2024, 09:02:00 am »

They would have been too slow to last 5 minutes with a 109.

It would have been an inappropriate use of resources, but in fact the Sunderland was remarkably good at defending itself and was reputed to be called the 'flying porcupine' by German fliers.

The type's capacity to defend itself was demonstrated in particular by an air battle over the Bay of Biscay on 2 June 1943, when eight Junkers Ju 88Cs attacked a single Sunderland Mk III of No. 461 Squadron RAAF: EJ134, squadron code: "N for Nuts". The 11 crew,[29] led by F/Lt Colin Walker, were on an anti-submarine patrol, while also watching for any signs of a missing airliner, BOAC Flight 777.[30] At 1900 hours, the rear gunner saw the Ju 88s, which belonged to V.Kampfgeschwader 40 and were led by Leutnant Friedrich Maeder. Walker ordered the dumping of the bombs and depth charges, and took the engines to full power. Two Ju 88s made simultaneous passes at EJ134 from both sides, scoring hits and disabling one engine, while the pilots fought fires and took the Sunderland through corkscrew manoeuvres. On a third pass, the dorsal turret gunner badly damaged or shot down a Ju 88, although the Sunderland's rear gunner was knocked unconscious.

The battle continued until the the JU88s were shot down or gave up, badly damaged.

EJ134 was badly damaged and the crew threw everything they could overboard, while nursing the aircraft over the 350-mile (560 km) journey to Britain. At 2248 hours, Walker managed to beach the aircraft at Praa Sands, Cornwall. The 10 surviving crew members were able to wade ashore, while the Sunderland broke up in the surf. Walker received the Distinguished Service Order and several other crew members also received medals. They claimed three Ju 88s destroyed. (With the exception of Walker, the crew returned to operations in a new "N for Nuts", which was lost over the Bay of Biscay two months later, in an attack by six Ju 88s. On 2 June 2013, a memorial was dedicated on the green at Praa Sands.[31])

It could be claimed that by defending our shipping the Sunderland performed a role at least as important as the bombers destroying German towns and cities. They protected our food supplies and the flow of war materiel from the USA.  There are however, no Sunderlands in the Battle of Britain memorial flight.

« Reply #7538 on: 03 July, 2024, 09:52:39 am »
It could be claimed that by defending our shipping the Sunderland performed a role at least as important as the bombers destroying German towns and cities. They protected our food supplies and the flow of war materiel from the USA.  There are however, no Sunderlands in the Battle of Britain memorial flight.

I don't believe there are any in flying condition.

If I became super mega rich, rather than a yacht that I could barely use, I'd have a replica Sunderland built. Absolutely iconic machine.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #7539 on: 03 July, 2024, 11:43:51 am »

I don't believe there are any in flying condition.

If I became super mega rich, rather than a yacht that I could barely use, I'd have a replica Sunderland built. Absolutely iconic machine.

I think there's one airworthy Sunderland in the USA, at the Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight Museum

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7540 on: 09 July, 2024, 07:46:06 am »
The idea of the Olympic torch relay came from that great impresario Joseph Goebbels.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7541 on: 09 July, 2024, 08:11:42 am »
The Salvation Army are part of the World Council of Churches but the Jehovah's Witnesses are not.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

« Reply #7542 on: 09 July, 2024, 11:49:27 am »
The Salvation Army are part of the World Council of Churches but the Jehovah's Witnesses are not.

Neither is the Roman Catholic Church.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7543 on: 09 July, 2024, 01:33:46 pm »

Is that because they regard themselves as (small c) catholic and the one true church? Or some other reason? My source (an Anglican) said the JWs weren't in it because their theology is too far from Christian norms.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

« Reply #7544 on: 09 July, 2024, 06:03:07 pm »

Is that because they regard themselves as (small c) catholic and the one true church? Or some other reason? My source (an Anglican) said the JWs weren't in it because their theology is too far from Christian norms.

The JWs would argue that the other churches has moved away from the Christian norms.  JWs see themselves as the 'restoration' of early Christianity.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7545 on: 10 July, 2024, 12:44:22 pm »
Don’t JWs believe in taking the bible literally?  If so, what is the Christian.. no on second thoughts.. gotta rush, sorry.