Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 96042 times)

Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #600 on: 30 January, 2024, 10:56:56 am »
The former WWII concentration camp at Den Bosch is well worth a visit.

https://www.nmkampvught.nl/english

Followed by a restorative trip to le Duc.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #601 on: 30 January, 2024, 07:24:02 pm »
Ferry booked! :thumbsup:

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #602 on: 02 February, 2024, 10:48:58 am »
The ferry discount details are as follows:

• 15% off Economy, Flexi and Premium car, motorhome and foot passenger fares on the Harwich-Hook of Holland route
  • Valid for travel between 8 January 2024 and 30 November 2024 only
  • Cabins, meals, Stena Plus Lounge, arrangements, pet travel are excluded from this discount
  • The discount applies to the base Economy, Flex & Premium ferry fares only. No discount on fees & dues
  • Offer code: NEWYEAR24
  • Book by date: 5 February 2024

https://www.stenaline.co.uk/special-offers/holland-early-booking-offer-2024

Just a reminder for those heading to the Netherlands in September to book your ferry before the 5th February, if you haven't already done so.

From a route planning perspective, I'm investigating 2 options as follows:

Hook -> Utrecht -> Apeldoorn -> 's-Hertogenbosch -> Hook

or

Hook -> Utrecht -> Apeldoorn -> Utrecht -> Hook

Either way it'll be circa 100km each day, and there's enough of a buffer between the point to point distances to allow for some meandering to take in interesting sights and stops. I've got the route for day 1 planned already ... it's less than 100km, so I'll not need to perform any cat herding to keep everybody on track. There'll be plenty of time!

As the towns are quite big, I'm aiming to identify a suitable place to meet for an evening meal. This will help people to get accommodation in a convenient place. If anybody has any interesting recommendations for the restaurant in any of these locations, do let me know. I'll be planning that aspect of the trip in the second half of February.

Route Option 1 looks good to me  :).
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #603 on: 01 July, 2024, 07:28:49 am »
This week is officially "ACME Goes Dutch accommodation planning week"  :)

Somebody who shall remain nameless (because I forgot who it was!) suggested that we might consider getting an AirBnB for the group to help keep costs down. Smart idea. I'm looking at options in the next couple of days. To help with the planning, I'll setup a WhatsApp group. Through the forum posts I have the following people either signed up or expressing an interest.

Signed-up:
  • Deano4
  • jiberjaber
  • Owen
  • huggy
  • Snotty Gilbert
  • GavinC

Expressing an interest:
  • howdee ... I think you have booked your ferry?
  • Tom J
  • quixoticgeek
  • Nick

Do shout if I need to add or remove you from either list.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #604 on: 02 July, 2024, 11:17:19 am »

I would be interested in tagging along on one of your legs, all depends upon where you go exactly as I am in south NL (Eindhoven Region)
and your initial plan looks to be staying largely above the rivers.

So as long as you post here your general intention in terms of routes I should be able to meet up somewhere along the route **. Don't need
to consider me for your accommodation and other logistics, I will sort of appear and disappear like last time (which seems ages ago -> quick check reveals it was 2019).

** reserves the right to chicken out as 'off-road' comedy capers are not my strong point.  ::-)

Regards,

Alan

« Reply #605 on: 02 July, 2024, 12:16:43 pm »
I would be interested in tagging along on one of your legs, all depends upon where you go exactly as I am in south NL (Eindhoven Region)

Indeed, 's-Hertogenbosch is the furthest south, but precise routing for that part isn't complete yet so I'll see if we can do something that helps you to intercept once more.

« Reply #606 on: 02 July, 2024, 12:47:47 pm »

Indeed, 's-Hertogenbosch is the furthest south, but precise routing for that part isn't complete yet so I'll see if we can do something that helps you to intercept once more.

Please dont adapt your plans for me, if your plan is to do Apeldoorn-Den Bosch on the Saturday then I can easily join somewhere train assisted and ride home from Den-Bosch (extra 35km) - but whatever your plan is I can usually find a way as long as you are not way up north&east.
Regards,

Alan

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #607 on: 02 July, 2024, 02:49:57 pm »

Signed-up:
  • Deano4
  • jiberjaber
  • Owen
  • huggy
  • Snotty Gilbert
  • GavinC
  • Anna

Expressing an interest:
  • Tom J
  • quixoticgeek
  • Nick

Just adding Anna to the confirmed list but I don’t think she is on yacf.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #608 on: 02 July, 2024, 03:24:42 pm »
Café de Rat in Utrecht is good for beer and cats  :) 🍺🐈

« Reply #609 on: 06 July, 2024, 10:37:08 pm »

Somebody who shall remain nameless (because I forgot who it was!) suggested that we might consider getting an AirBnB for the group to help keep costs down. Smart idea. I'm looking at options in the next couple of days. To help with the planning, I'll setup a WhatsApp group. Through the forum posts I have the following people either signed up or expressing an interest.

Signed-up:
  • Deano4
  • jiberjaber
  • Owen
  • huggy
  • Snotty Gilbert
  • GavinC

Expressing an interest:
  • Tom J
  • quixoticgeek
  • Nick

Do shout if I need to add or remove you from either list.

« Reply #610 on: 06 July, 2024, 10:40:19 pm »
Mrs Tandemaniac and I are booked on the ferry. The way things are looking she might be taking public transport  again and I will be on the bike. Probably depends if she actually gets on the tandem between now and then!

« Reply #611 on: 08 July, 2024, 07:11:10 am »
I've created the WhatsApp group and sent out some suggestions. The signed-up list I now have is:

psyclist
Deano4
Anna
jiberjaber
Owen
huggy
Snotty Gilbert
GavinC
Mr & Mrs Tandemaniac
TomJ