Author Topic: Borders of Belgium 2020  (Read 10474 times)

Re: Borders of Belgium 2020
« Reply #25 on: 05 February, 2020, 03:23:22 pm »
Got my entry in too.

Hoping some beds will open up to help with sleep logistics / or there is a corner of floor to crash on at controls.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #26 on: 06 February, 2020, 04:35:43 pm »
I plan to cross on the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry again. I'll book for a couple of days prior and the day after returning. If anyone want to share a two or four berth cabin feel free to message me or email David Stephen Crampton at Google mail dot com

Dave C

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #27 on: 10 April, 2020, 01:45:02 pm »
I notice the event entry page is still open for this, obviously everything is a bit of a unknown at the moment, but as the event is not until September are the organisers still planning on running it ?

« Reply #28 on: 10 April, 2020, 09:51:07 pm »
I notice the event entry page is still open for this, obviously everything is a bit of a unknown at the moment, but as the event is not until September are the organisers still planning on running it ?
Yes, the event is still on the calendar. The Belgian calendar will undergo some changes but the Borders of Belgium will stay on the original date. As long as the National security counsel (about the Corona measures) give us green light to organise, the event will run. I have very good hopes it will be the case.
Rohnny, organisor of the BOB.

« Reply #29 on: 29 June, 2020, 10:42:39 am »
I've heard audax is starting up again in Belgium. I wonder what is the situation for BOB?

Getting there on the ferry/train from UK might be an issue.

In Belgium are the shared accommodation options likely to be ok? Are hotels/motels etc likely to be functioning?

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #30 on: 29 June, 2020, 11:39:30 am »
Hey Hippy,

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Ferry still appear to be non running to all but emergency timetables.

We stayed in an AirB&B last time, around 20km from the sStart/Arrivee.

Where are you crossing from? I'll be looking for a Hull Rotterdam ferry.

Last time I noticed tents next to the start. There is a good campsite toilet block next to the start also, but unsure whether it will be open it not.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #31 on: 29 June, 2020, 11:59:39 am »
Similar position for me, as is IroIroMono.
Also since travel restrictions are devolved we might have other issues too.

I'm not exactly ready for 1000 though.
Was only a tenner entry (with the extra logistic considerations that came with) so not massively bothered if I have to miss it.

Was planning to use the Zebrugge ferry and train down to Ghent then ride to the start; but obviously that's all out.
I also don't fancy a night standing out on deck.

Looks like Pride of York hasn't moved anywhere recently (and given the age, like many P&O vessels might only ever move again to scrap), the Europoort service does appear to be running nightly.

Audax Ecosse needs a minibus :-p

« Reply #32 on: 30 June, 2020, 10:57:43 am »
I think I'd originally mooted Eurostar then local train to Gent for this.

But god knows how all of that's going to work.

Also large parts of this route are quite sparse if I remember right - sounds like it'll end up being close to x-rated if it goes ahead.

On top of that, not sure what my motivation is - part of the appeal was recovery beers in Gent afterwards, but not sure if I'm ready to mingle with riders from all over Europe in close quarters, given the circumstances.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 30 June, 2020, 11:07:08 am »
Given that the UK has about the worst COVID result in Europe, I suspect that others might not want to get too close to UK riders anyway.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #34 on: 30 June, 2020, 11:13:17 am »
Given that the UK has about the worst COVID result in Europe, I suspect that others might not want to get too close to UK riders anyway.

Being in a part of Scotland with one of the lowest current COVID rates, I don't particularly want to mingle with riders from south of the Antonite wall right now.

And then there's Leicester and Yns Mon :shudder:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 30 June, 2020, 11:17:26 am »
True but most folk won’t look at things in such detail. National-level at best e.g. USA = plague.

Aside: First time I have heard of the Antonine Wall. Not entirely successful, it seems.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: 30 June, 2020, 11:50:41 am »
Luckily I have a blue passport and a suitably safe accent :D

Safe for riding, not so safe when we hit the bars in Ghent.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #37 on: 30 June, 2020, 02:45:42 pm »
True but most folk won’t look at things in such detail. National-level at best e.g. USA = plague.

Aye :-)
I don't really expect anyone outwith a country to look at the picture within.
England and Wales also = plague from this viewpoint.

My only concern about Leicester is Crisps, it is 377 miles away even Thurso is closer.

bairn again

« Reply #38 on: 30 June, 2020, 03:47:55 pm »

Being in a part of Scotland with one of the lowest current COVID rates, I don't particularly want to mingle with riders from south of the Antonite wall right now.

As an aside, the course of the Antonine Wall ran through the back garden of the house I grew up in, and there was a short stretch that could be made out very close by, albeit over grown but the profile of the thing could clearly be made out. 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #39 on: 30 June, 2020, 07:09:01 pm »

As an aside, the course of the Antonine Wall ran through the back garden of the house I grew up in, and there was a short stretch that could be made out very close by, albeit over grown but the profile of the thing could clearly be made out.

The only bit of it I've ever actually seen or knowingly been to is somewhere in the vicinity of Bonnybridge, but it wasn't in anyone's backgarden.
Possibly at Rough Castle.

Following the route on the map, got to say that Antonine must have been a bit daft, ran all the way along the Lothian shore of the Forth to Bo'ness.
The Carron surely would have made a good enough boundary and the rest defended using the river and lookouts.
Or was Stenhousemuir just too rough for the Romans?

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #40 on: 21 July, 2020, 09:06:30 pm »
Hello, registration for the BOB 2020 is open.
During 2 weeks we take 60 entries for the all-in formula (or untill the limit of 60 entries is reached).

All-in means:
entry fee: 10 euro
at km 555 (Champlon) and km 840 (Lommel):
B&B (bed - douche - breakfast): 2 x 35 euro
evening meal: hot meal and a beverage: 2 x 12 euro
bagdrop: 2 x 5 euro
Total: 114 euro.
If your entry is made before 23h59 on 31 january 2020 you get a 10 euro discount,

so total = 104 euro
​There will be no discount starting 1 february 2020 and you are free to choose each option separately.

After 13 hours there are only 17 all-in entries left.

Link to website: https://bordersofbelgium2020.weebly.com/

Is there any news Rohnny on this event, Thanks

« Reply #41 on: 22 July, 2020, 08:02:56 pm »
Hello, registration for the BOB 2020 is open.
During 2 weeks we take 60 entries for the all-in formula (or untill the limit of 60 entries is reached).

All-in means:
entry fee: 10 euro
at km 555 (Champlon) and km 840 (Lommel):
B&B (bed - douche - breakfast): 2 x 35 euro
evening meal: hot meal and a beverage: 2 x 12 euro
bagdrop: 2 x 5 euro
Total: 114 euro.
If your entry is made before 23h59 on 31 january 2020 you get a 10 euro discount,

so total = 104 euro
​There will be no discount starting 1 february 2020 and you are free to choose each option separately.

After 13 hours there are only 17 all-in entries left.

Link to website: https://bordersofbelgium2020.weebly.com/

Is there any news Rohnny on this event, Thanks

This event is still on the calendar, just like the other events on the Belgian calendar.
Off course we follow the situation very closely.
If the National Security Counsil and/or Randonneurs.be (our national audax organisation) decides different measures/restrictions are needed, we will follow those rules.
At this moment organisations are allowed, but we have additional rules:
- There will be not one start time, but we'll go for multiple start times (roughly between 11h and 16h, more about that will be published later and a mail will be sent to the participants)
- We will limit the number of participants to 199.
- No entries at the day of the start. Entry will be closed on 15 august or when we reach 199 entries, whatever comes first.
- Entries have to be paid uo front, no entry fees on the day of the start.
- By spreading the start the formalities before the start (brevet cards, jerseys, bag drops, ...) will not be crowded nor will the manned controls (km 555 and 835) and the finish.
- No fixed controls in cafés, but free controls and control questions will be used.
- no self service at the manned controls.

Other measures will be taken if needed.
We see the numbers of infectoins climb each day so it is still possible we are forced not to organise in 2020.
If so we will organise in 2021. The people who entered the event in 2020 will stay on the list for 2021.

When things changes we will let you know as soon as possible.

KR,
Rohnny

« Reply #42 on: 23 July, 2020, 10:24:03 am »
I entered in Feb but now have a clash because other events have been moved. Is it possible to get a refund and put my entry back in the pot for someone else?

It was a basic entry, no accommodation so if you can't refund can you at least make sure it's spent on Belgian beer for the riders (and yourself Rohnny)? :D

« Reply #43 on: 23 July, 2020, 05:38:49 pm »
I entered in Feb but now have a clash because other events have been moved. Is it possible to get a refund and put my entry back in the pot for someone else?

It was a basic entry, no accommodation so if you can't refund can you at least make sure it's spent on Belgian beer for the riders (and yourself Rohnny)? :D

Please use the contact email on the website to get in touch.
This is hardly the place to talk to the organisor why you think another event is more interesting about a clash a refund.  ;)
Plus I don't know who "hippy" is, so...

« Reply #44 on: 24 July, 2020, 08:22:36 pm »
Rohnny

Two questions.

Are time trial bars(clip ons on normal bars) allowed? saw some on footage of earlier editions but just wanted to make sure.

Can you give an idea of the size of the bags for the bag drop?

Thanks in advance

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #45 on: 25 July, 2020, 04:37:14 pm »
Are time trial bars(clip ons on normal bars) allowed? saw some on footage of earlier editions but just wanted to make sure.
No doubt the man himself will be along soon with the definitive answer, but in the meantime: I've used them on three events in Belgian audax, no problem. *Remember that helmets are mandatory over there.* (So it's different from PBP - better IMHO.)
From memory, similar to the LEL bags, so about 18 inches by two feet, cloth bags with drawstring top.
HTH.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #46 on: 25 July, 2020, 04:40:49 pm »
Opps - just seen this from The Man Himself:
Please use the contact email on the website to get in touch.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #47 on: 25 July, 2020, 05:32:33 pm »
No doubt the man himself will be along soon with the definitive answer, but in the meantime: I've used them on three events in Belgian audax, no problem. *Remember that helmets are mandatory over there.* (So it's different from PBP - better IMHO.)

From memory, similar to the LEL bags, so about 18 inches by two feet, cloth bags with drawstring top.
HTH.

Trial bars are allowed. I recommend to be very careful because sometimes the road surface can be... euh... a bit British all of a sudden. So make sure you have good lights on the bike.

Indeed, the bags are roughly the size of the LEL bags. Enough for a jersey, bib shorts and socks + some inner tubes, a tire and some other bits.
Keep in mind that the bags must be fully closed. I don't want to empty my car and find things that should have been in a bag.

No problem answering these kind of questions here. Just questions like the one from Hippy I prefer to answer in private.
Thanks for understanding.

« Reply #48 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:40:44 am »
Hello,

due to the new measurements by the National Security Council about COVID-19 it is no longer possible to organise (and ride) a long distance bicycle ride like the Borders of Belgium.
We tried to hold on as long as possible, but with the infection numbers rising since 2 weeks it is the only sensible thing to do.
Therefore we push the BOB2020 to 2021 and keep the same period: start on thursday 2 september 2021.
The participants on the list keep their place on the list for 2021.

An official statement on the website will follow soon.

Kind regards, Rohnny

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #49 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:41:54 am »
That comes as both a disappointment and a relief  :-\ On the one hand I looked forward to it, knowing from two years ago this is a superbly organised event, and my first brevet (a 400) since February went fairly well. On the other hand, I have not done alot of miles and/or proper training in the past months, which made itself felt on that brevet too. And this does not bode well for a 1000km through the Ardennes. Oh well, the decision to start or not is out of my hands now...

Commiserations for the disappointment you (and your team) must feel too Rohnny, after all the preparation and organising you have been busy with.

And Rohnny: 2 september 2021 is roughly two weeks after LEL; as much as I would like to ride both, I would need more time for recovery  :( How set in stone is that starting date?

Slightly off-topic: do you know if the 600km from Oostende on August 8 will be canceled too (the registration page still works)?