Author Topic: Strava  (Read 61999 times)

Re: Strava
« Reply #175 on: 19 May, 2020, 05:18:50 am »
I always upload rides from my archive so the source is only my PC, not online.
I've hardly ever used Segments or the Routebuilder so this change doesn't affects me. I prefer the map approach when building my routes, using the venerable Mapsource combined with Open fiets Map.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #176 on: 19 May, 2020, 08:04:27 am »
If it wasn't for VeloViewer Explorer I wouldn't use Strava at all. I should be OK for the moment: https://blog.veloviewer.com/strava_subscriber_vs_non-subscriber-veloviewer_differences/

« Reply #177 on: 19 May, 2020, 08:18:50 am »
I've only started using Strava since I got my Lezyne GPS unit because it automatically uploads rides to there.
I find Strava clunky and visually unattractive - but maybe that's because I'm a long time, very happy, and paying RwGPS user. Route planning, recording, decent app, squashed bugs, and, yes, segments too.
Although RwGPS will pick up disgruntled Strava users, the lack of third party plug-ins will be a dissapoitment for some. And, if Strava claim they can't make money, then I can't see how RwGPS can either, which bodes Ill for the future.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #178 on: 19 May, 2020, 09:17:53 am »
100% of the value in Strava is because everyone I know uses it. The features and the UI do not matter and you can't simply switch.

And, if Strava claim they can't make money, then I can't see how RwGPS can either, which bodes Ill for the future.

RWGPS is run on a shoestring by a small engaged team*. Strava is/was trying to do the big budget big team big userbase VC thing.

(* which clearly doesn't include a graphic designer)

« Reply #179 on: 19 May, 2020, 09:27:48 am »
Indeed, Strava has a few main uses for me:-

a) VeloViewer integration for tile bagging - If this becomes impossible (eventually, I know the recent changes don't affect it) for VV then they'll have to move to integrate with something else or tile bagging is dead. I can move my stuff over to whatever is used as the base instead.

b) Seeing what other people are doing (friends and family) - this is a nice to have, don't really care that much, wouldn't mind if I lost this

c) It's nice to see how my times are progressing (on both runs and a few specific segments) but I can replicate both the "matched runs" and the segment stuff myself quite easily with some of my own coding. I've been meaning to do this anyway as I've got a plan for a mini website that takes my GPX/FIT files as does all of the analysis I need (for swimming, running and cycling) all in one place. There's a whole host of stuff I'd like to do that combines the best parts of Strava, Runalyze, Garmin Connect, Golden Cheetah, etc too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #180 on: 19 May, 2020, 09:41:55 am »
I'm not a strava fan but do have a paid subscription - my use is as an app for storing training data. I took out a subscription because I started riding Turbo during the lockdown and was monitoring heart rate cadence etc. The subscribed version doesn't offer anything more than my RWGPS and the plots on RWGPS are better (strava data shows odd peaks and troughs and very odd max speed data). Route planning is also better on RWGPS and you can't import a GPS route file into Strava which is a real down when you get an event GPX file.

I don't usually bother about segments and haven't registered for a challenge for a long time. I recently changed the privacy settings on my account so any new achievements  don't appear on leader boards anyway.

Will keep both Strava and RWGPS going but will probably end my paid subscription and go completely private on Strava at the end of the year when I have my end of year stats (I still need Strava for veloviewer unfortunately).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #181 on: 19 May, 2020, 10:10:21 am »
Segments are moronic willy-waving anyway.  Can't be KOM on an existing one?  Just create a really short segment that only requires you to sprint for 20 seconds.  You could be KOM for a week.  Or, for longer ones, use a car.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #182 on: 19 May, 2020, 10:19:50 am »
I’ve been with Strava since it started. I think at the time we had a bit of a forum thing going with another recording program that was dying a death, and Strava came along at the right time to pick us up (others went for MapMyRide). When subscriptions started, I moved on to that and, though I haven’t been pro all the changes, I still enjoy the extra depth the stats give me and I find that they often motivate me to get out on the bike (or on the turbo) when otherwise I’d go for beer and cake. 

As a bit of a stats’n’maps nerd, I also subscribe to RWGPS as I use it to provide downloadable routes for my cycling club, and Veloviewer is another one I’ve been with from the start. I’ve subscribed to most of the better-known cycling apps over the years!

The most recent changes are long overdue, really. The business model of Strava was unsustainable when so many of its features were available without charge, and I hope that these changes will ensure its future. Their statements suggest they’re going to (or have already) dumped their tentative moves into in-stream advertising - which was appearing even on paid accounts - and that they intend to be more responsive to users’ needs. I think the first sign of that is that they’re about to roll out ride matching, where you’ll be able to directly compare two or more rides on an identical route. That is so long overdue it’s crazy!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #183 on: 19 May, 2020, 10:33:25 am »
It’s odd that they’ve taken so long to support matched rides as they’ve been doing it for runs for ages.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #184 on: 19 May, 2020, 10:37:53 am »
It’s odd that they’ve taken so long to support matched rides as they’ve been doing it for runs for ages.

Yes, and it’s been a very frustrating wait!

« Reply #185 on: 19 May, 2020, 10:46:20 am »
Strava   Use it to see where i have been. The weather is the deciding factor, never plan a route unless someone has uploaded one for a cycle ride i have entered.  Its good to just head out and see what happens. Not interested in the garmin telling me where to go. 😂 Been handy for the turbo as i can't be bothered cycling if cafe stops are out due to the lockdown.

« Reply #186 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:04:43 am »
I like the feedback from strava. PB over a distance, comparison with other people who are doing the same route.

What I *don't* like is that it doesn't provide the same data for each activity. If you use it for running, you get a speed breakdown for each kilometer. That's really useful, because it shows (on a steady effort run) where I eased off, if I went out too fast and slowed down, etc.

The same data is not displayed for other sports. So, for kayaking, all I get is overall time figures, overall average speed and the useless speed graph (notoriously inaccurate, it shows extreme positive and negative spikes).

If they sorted themselves out and offered other activities the same support they give to running, I'd consider paying for a subscription.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #187 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:22:06 am »
I use free Strava to log rides and for veloviewer exploring*, but have never used their app (Etrex or MyTracks android ) - so have a PC gpx file store.   

Be interesting to see how it pans out for Strava, now their only free function is activity recording & soshul networking.  I wonder if Strava would ever buy out veloviewer...

OOI if one signs up for a Strava free trial, can you download your whole ride archive?

ETA.  *I do use Strava Route planning on Chrome with the VV plugin.  I guess this will disappear from free Strava when the 'redesign happens'.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #188 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:47:57 am »
You can download all of your data from the free version from <Settings> <My Account>

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #189 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:48:24 am »
I use free Strava to log rides and for veloviewer exploring, but have never used their app (Etrex or MyTracks android ) - so have a PC gpx file store. 

Be interesting to see how it pans out for Strava, now the only free function is activity recording & soshul networking.  I wonder if Strava would ever buy out veloviewer...

OOI if one signs up for a Strava free trial, can you download your whole ride archive?

You can do this from a free account -

Settings > My Account > Download or Delete Your Account

I did itin the past and it was a bit messy, I think I got emailed a spreadsheet and the files - I do a better job of maintaining my local copies now.

« Reply #190 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:50:44 am »
Thanks both.  :)  Never knew that!  Done.

« Reply #191 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:11:27 pm »
So the Strava Activities folder download is a mix of .gpx & also .gpx.gz files, with non-date number code filename.  What's the best way to do something with a GZ file?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #192 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:20:41 pm »
Code: [Select]
gunzip filename.gpx.gz
Will turn it into a gpx file.

You can let the shell do the hard work and

Code: [Select]
gunzip *.gpx.gz
to do a whole directory at once.

There's probably some overly complicated GUI tool for Windows to achieve the same thing.

« Reply #193 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:25:12 pm »
Thanks.  Is that a unix thing?   My unix days have disappeared into the mists of time.   ;)

Yes, wonder if there is some windows software to drag and drop a bunch of gz files on to to batch process.  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #194 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:30:07 pm »
Yeah, gzip files are mostly a *nix thing, you rarely encounter them in a Windows environment.  I expect the likes of WinZip can handle them, but no idea about batch processing.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #195 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:43:26 pm »
7zip is the most commonly used zip file tool on Windows these days, and it supports batch operation via the CLI, I believe.
It supports all common zip/archive formats.

« Reply #196 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:50:44 pm »
They do need to make some money, so they have to charge enough people enough money. For me Strava is basically social. I still use Garmin Connect for upload. If that ever fails I’ll probably reopen the little red book from all those years ago. Or not worry about it tbh.

« Reply #197 on: 19 May, 2020, 01:28:34 pm »
They do need to make some money, so they have to charge enough people enough money.
I agree, I just think they have the pricing wrong.  I don't use any of the features that are becoming subscription, I'd still be happy to contribute to it's long term survival, just not £50 a year.  I look at my other subscriptions around that price and it doesn't compete, maybe I'm just a tight touring cyclist, but I think they'd have raised more at half the price. 

« Reply #198 on: 19 May, 2020, 02:03:10 pm »
Thanks 7zip did the trick.  When converted the gpx files seem to be in ascending order of date created / ride done.

S2L

« Reply #199 on: 19 May, 2020, 02:35:51 pm »
They've been tinkering with what's paid and what's free since forever. I don't see what the worry is.

Finally charging for the bit people get excited about rather than trying to charge for shoddy bolt-on features means they might get somewhere.

Agree... and I have decided to pay... It makes sense for me