Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2481687 times)

rr

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21700 on: 28 March, 2024, 08:43:43 am »
First cycle commute for a while, in with 3 SurfacePros, back with one and a pannier of shopping.
The elephant bike 3 gears seem have got lower, may be something to do with the 12kg I've shed.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21701 on: 02 April, 2024, 09:14:48 am »
Switched back from my summer commute route to the winter one as the clock change makes the mornings darker for a week or two.  Still pleasantly surprised to encounter nautical twilight from Blackbushe onwards.  The roads were very wet and in very poor condition.  My rough guess is that extra caution due to road surfaces adds about 5 minutes to the three hours in.  Or maybe I was a bit slower on the Audax bike as the Enigma machine needs some TLC - new chain, rear cassette, disk brake service and probably a few others things after c20 winter commutes from Basingstoke to London.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #21702 on: 10 April, 2024, 06:37:32 pm »
Passed a car on the way home, make/model "Trojan"
I'm sure that's a contraceptive?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21703 on: 10 April, 2024, 07:18:14 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_(automobile) refers.  They made all sorts of odd machines from licence-built bubble cars to the production versions of Bruce McLaren's sports cars to single-seater racing cars.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21704 on: 10 April, 2024, 10:47:37 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_(automobile) refers.  They made all sorts of odd machines from licence-built bubble cars to the production versions of Bruce McLaren's sports cars to single-seater racing cars.

The YACF webby science broke your url

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_(automobile)
That should jbex. Read down the article to the bubble car but. Peter Agg made his stash importing Lambrettas and later bought Suzuki GB. I worked for his son for A Several of Years.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #21705 on: 10 April, 2024, 11:13:03 pm »
Yeah, but is it also a prophylactic?

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #21706 on: 11 April, 2024, 10:44:58 am »
My front brake pad disintegrated outside Parliament. I saw it dislodge and hoped it would be rescuable, Looking for a 2cm grey roundish pad on a road surfaced with 2cm roundish chippings is a particularly frustrating Where's Wally.

The braking material had come right off the metal backing plate. I am very glad this was by Parliament and not on, say, Parliament Hill.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #21707 on: 11 April, 2024, 11:29:57 am »
My front brake pad disintegrated outside Parliament. I saw it dislodge and hoped it would be rescuable, Looking for a 2cm grey roundish pad on a road surfaced with 2cm roundish chippings is a particularly frustrating Where's Wally.

Did you attract the attention of the security guards?  They're very hot on anything slightly peculiar.
The sound of one pannier flapping

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #21708 on: 11 April, 2024, 01:34:35 pm »
and my mindblowing speed into town before this incident wasn't at all due to the healthy tailwind. It was because I wasn't, it turns out, carrying my lunch. Bah.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #21709 on: 11 April, 2024, 02:02:05 pm »
The braking material had come right off the metal backing plate.
I had that on a car once. The pad was newish and it was too thick to escape so I didn't loose braking.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #21710 on: 12 April, 2024, 11:51:33 pm »
New commute is about 10 mins further, but I am responding very differently to it, a sweaty mess.  Mix of weather not helping.